• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Banter Thread

jburns

If anyone is interested in joining a NFL pick em league ($30 fee for the whole season) please check out the thread for more information. This used to be just open to American Weather, however, given lack of signups this has been expanded outside of the form to hopefully draw a bigger participation. If you are interested or even have any friends interested please pass the word along! 

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, Upstate Tiger said:

Very, very sad news today from Charlotte.  This happened not too far from our hospital.  Jason seemed like a great guy.

https://www.wbtv.com/2022/11/22/wbtv-mourning-loss-meteorologist-jason-myers-pilot-chip-tayag/

Yes, very sad news today. Hated to hear this. I really enjoyed watching him give out the weather. He seemed like a genuinely good person. Prayers for both families through these difficult times. May they both rest in peace.

• 3 weeks later...

Next couple of weeks have so much potential. Whether that means joy or tears remains to be seen, but at least it will be fun to watch. Haven't seen a flake of snow since I moved out of the Boone last July(2021) so hopeful for something. If not, it'll go right along with all of the sports teams I pull for sucking as well this year.

With the historic cold coming in just two days and affecting the entire SE, I was wondering if someone should start a separate thread just for the cold, itself (like a storm thread but for cold). This would be good for documentation purposes as regards folks wanting to look back at the great cold outbreak of 2022 and how SE members were affected. As regards the significance of this event, it certainly would warrant its own thread just based on its widespread and intense effects.

Opinions would be appreciated. If nobody else is interested in a separate thread, then there'd be no need for it. But I recommend it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, metalicwx367 said:

Damn I haven't posted here in like 2 years. I've been trying to log into my other account, but won't let me (forgot password) and confirmation email never goes through. 

How's everyone been doing? 

Aren't you from the guy from world famous Waycross who moved to Hawaii because you had joined the military? And you were going to do something related to meteorology. Welcome back!

I remember you had a Peppermint Patty avatar like mine. For those who weren't around then, many active members here were changing their avatars to favorite Peanuts characters for a reason I can't recall.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, GaWx said:

Aren't you from the guy from world famous Waycross who moved to Hawaii because you had joined the military? And you were going to do something related to meteorology. Welcome back!

I remember you had a Peppermint Patty avatar like mine. For those who weren't around then, many active members here were changing their avatars to favorite Peanuts characters for a reason I can't recall.

Yep that's me! Holy shit you remembered the town too. Haha. And yeah I've been an Airforce Meteorologist for the last 7 years. Been quite the journey. 

In Germany last winter, we went the entire winter with no measurable snow basically. Everyone typically takes their snow tires off April 1st. On April 2nd, we got an inch of snow. No big deal, but then the following week, we got 7 inches of snow in 3 hours, people stuck on the roads (no snow plows anywhere) and trees down everywhere. Also 5 different occurrences of thundersnow that night. I actually got one on video. Definitely my favorite weather moment.

• Like 3

On 12/21/2022 at 7:34 AM, metalicwx367 said:

Damn I haven't posted here in like 2 years. I've been trying to log into my other account, but won't let me (forgot password) and confirmation email never goes through. 

How's everyone been doing? 

Let me know when you try to log in or dm me the email you are using for the account. I'm glad you stopped in :wub:

This weenie post is only worthy of banter because it is about the super vodka cold 12Z CFS run. It has the warmth end on Jan 6th followed by cool to frigid every day in the SE but two days through the rest of the run, which ends on Jan 28th with a glacier thanks to three major SE winter storms during the final 7 days of the run. The 0Z was similarly cool to cold dominated also starting ~1/7 and has a SE winter storm 1/12, but with less extreme cold and somewhat longer warm periods between the cold. Of course, these are mainly for entertainment as they have very low credibility that far out and aren't ensemble runs. In addition, they get too cold over snowcover. For example, the run from just 24 hours ago was a torch for most of the run!

:weenie:

• 2 weeks later...

Most of us are snow hounds more than severe weather followers. I enjoy a good thunderstorm, but it’s the snowstorms that spark the most interest for most of us.

Also, we have very few posters in this forum from MS, AL, and LA, where most of the tornado action occurs. Yes, there are tornados in GA, SC, and NC too, but not like in Dixie Alley, typically.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Was there a rocket launch off the east coast in the last few minutes? I didn’t get to see it but was told there was a contrail and a bright light on the horizon facing in a SW direction.

I thought it was from wallops island but it looks like what was seen here wasn’t it bc wallops island was eastern nc/seaboard.

Can someone tell me I’m not crazy?  I lived in Conetoe in 2001.  I swear we had a snowstorm in the middle to latter half of January that was 16”.  Greg Fishel thought we might get an inch and some weird pattern caused the storm to exceed expectations.  All I can find is the 2000 snowstorm.  Am I wrong about the 2001 storm?

3 hours ago, blueheels2 said:

Can someone tell me I’m not crazy?  I lived in Conetoe in 2001.  I swear we had a snowstorm in the middle to latter half of January that was 16”.  Greg Fishel thought we might get an inch and some weird pattern caused the storm to exceed expectations.  All I can find is the 2000 snowstorm.  Am I wrong about the 2001 storm?

Per Tarboro records, there was only a trace of snowfall in Jan of 2001 and that fell on the 9th. After that, the rest of the month was very dry and averaged slightly AN with temperatures. So, with Tarboro being only 10 miles away, I see no way that Conetoe got anywhere near 16" of snow in mid to late Jan of 2001.

3 minutes ago, GaWx said:

Per Tarboro records, there was only a trace of snowfall in Jan of 2001 and that fell on the 9th. After that, the rest of the month was very dry and averaged slightly AN with temperatures. So, with Tarboro being only 10 miles away, I see no way that Conetoe got anywhere near 16" of snow in mid to late Jan of 2001.

Yeah I think I’m thinking of the 2000 storm but I was so sure that storm was in 2001.  So weird how the mind misremembers like that.

• 3 months later...

Curious about the possible Super El Nino and what it might mean for our area in the S. East.   Anybody want to chime in on their thoughts?  I figured the number of hurricanes should be reduced, but we might get a few big ones because the ocean is pretty warm and getting warmer.  Drought most likely outcome from this?  Heavy rain?  Mass hysteria?  How would this differ from a regular El Nino?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...