Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Banter Thread

jburns

• 3 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Avdave said:

Finally got my first Covid vaccination today, got my Pfizer shot. Drove down to Dunn,. NC to get it, in and out in a half hour

Good. You will feel a lot better a week or two after your second shot. A bit of freedom is very enjoyable after a year of hunkering down. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jburns said:

Good. You will feel a lot better a week or two after your second shot. A bit of freedom is very enjoyable after a year of hunkering down. 

Thats what Im hoping for.  We have done pretty good at staying home for the most part, only a couple of weekend getaways but it was outdoor activities. 

It was quick and painless though getting the first one, though I feel more tired today so maybe thats from the shot, Its been 24 hours since it was injected. 

Apr 2 looks to be the day for round 2 and taking the weekend to feel better from the side effects if we get any. 

I don’t take severe weather lightly, especially with two young kids. But we just got this email from our sons daycare. Really?!?!? Category 4 storm?!?!? :facepalm:

Due to the category 4 storm moving through our area mid-day tomorrow and in considering the safety of all staff and families as a result we will operate on a half day schedule of 7:30am-12:00pm tomorrow, Thursday, March 18, 2021.

In case of loss of power or damage to our building or facilities we will communicate any further plans to close beyond tomorrow no later than 7am Friday morning.

• Haha 3

28 minutes ago, GunBlade said:

I don’t take severe weather lightly, especially with two young kids. But we just got this email from our sons daycare. Really?!?!? Category 4 storm?!?!? :facepalm:

Due to the category 4 storm moving through our area mid-day tomorrow and in considering the safety of all staff and families as a result we will operate on a half day schedule of 7:30am-12:00pm tomorrow, Thursday, March 18, 2021.

In case of loss of power or damage to our building or facilities we will communicate any further plans to close beyond tomorrow no later than 7am Friday morning.

One of those dreaded category 4 storms!  :lol:  I bet the writer of that email is “super concerned” about this “super dangerous” storm.

On 3/17/2021 at 7:55 PM, magpiemaniac said:

With all the unfamiliar visitors in the southeast severe thread, I’m reminded of how much I appreciate my fellow southeast posters.  A few of those folks—not all of them course—are insufferable.

1 hour ago, magpiemaniac said:

Give us a couple of town names you had in mind.

Johnny, what do we have for our winner?

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, magpiemaniac said:

Here come the chirping Bust Birds in the severe thread.  It gets so tiring after a while.  Some people just want to see the world burn and are disappointed when it doesn’t.

No wonder this place empties out during non-winter events.

Pretty sure the people in those pics and videos just posted would disagree with the whole bust thing. 

On 3/17/2021 at 8:41 PM, GunBlade said:

Betcha they got that phrasing from some article that compared the winds of a tornado to hurricane.

Although I wouldn't put it past some outlet or person to come up with their own set of ratings and write as if it was already known and accepted in hopes of getting their wording adopted.

• 8 months later...

About 20 years ago I read in SKI magazine about day trips to the top of Mauna Kea for the seemingly incongruous activity of skiing in Hawaii. Always been on my list ever since.  I guess days like this are helpful to those who are so lucky.(well, maybe you wouldn't want to go today or tomorrow, but at least it lays down the goods)

National Weather Service

2 products issued by NWS for: 13 Miles E Kealakekua HI

Share |

Blizzard Warning
URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Honolulu HI
343 AM HST Sat Dec 4 2021

...BLIZZARD WARNING FOR THE BIG ISLAND SUMMITS...

HIZ028-050245-
/O.CON.PHFO.BZ.W.0001.000000T0000Z-211205T1600Z/
Big Island Summits-
343 AM HST Sat Dec 4 2021

...BLIZZARD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM HST SUNDAY...

* WHAT...Blizzard conditions expected. Total snow accumulations
  of up to 12 inches or more. Winds gusting over 100 mph.

* WHERE...Big Island Summits.

* WHEN...Until 6 AM HST Sunday.

* IMPACTS...Travel could be very difficult to impossible. Blowing
  snow will significantly reduce visibility at times, with periods
  of zero visibility. See the High Wind Warning that is also in
  effect.
  • Like 1

About 20 years ago I read in SKI magazine about day trips to the top of Mauna Kea for the seemingly incongruous activity of skiing in Hawaii. Always been on my list ever since.  I guess days like this are helpful to those who are so lucky.(well, maybe you wouldn't want to go today or tomorrow, but at least it lays down the goods)
National Weather Service 2 products issued by NWS for: 13 Miles E Kealakekua HI
Share |
Blizzard Warning
URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGENational Weather Service Honolulu HI343 AM HST Sat Dec 4 2021...BLIZZARD WARNING FOR THE BIG ISLAND SUMMITS...HIZ028-050245-/O.CON.PHFO.BZ.W.0001.000000T0000Z-211205T1600Z/Big Island Summits-343 AM HST Sat Dec 4 2021...BLIZZARD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM HST SUNDAY...* WHAT...Blizzard conditions expected. Total snow accumulations of up to 12 inches or more. Winds gusting over 100 mph.* WHERE...Big Island Summits.* WHEN...Until 6 AM HST Sunday.* IMPACTS...Travel could be very difficult to impossible. Blowing snow will significantly reduce visibility at times, with periods of zero visibility. See the High Wind Warning that is also in effect.

Crazy with 100 mph gusts!!
Wow.
I’m just chilling in shorts and no shoes today :)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For days I've been watching the Mid-America storm that is brewing.  Decided late last night head up to see my daughter in St. Louis today so I'll be trying to experience one of those late 70's-early 80's sleet fests that I remember from my childhood.

We never hear from "Tony" in Griffin, GA anymore on the board.  Not sure where he's been these last few years but I know he would share my enthusiasm for such an event.  NAM advertising a light glaze before dawn tomorrow, then an all day sleet storm of 1-2" until about midnight, then 10-12" on snow on top from midnight until early afternoon on Thursday. 

A perfect winter birthday cake!

• Like 4

For days I've been watching the Mid-America storm that is brewing.  Decided late last night head up to see my daughter in St. Louis today so I'll be trying to experience one of those late 70's-early 80's sleet fests that I remember from my childhood.
We never hear from "Tony" in Griffin, GA anymore on the board.  Not sure where he's been these last few years but I know he would share my enthusiasm for such an event.  NAM advertising a light glaze before dawn tomorrow, then an all day sleet storm of 1-2" until about midnight, then 10-12" on snow on top from midnight until early afternoon on Thursday. 
A perfect winter birthday cake!
How was it?

Sent from my SM-S115DL using Tapatalk

On 2/8/2022 at 9:39 AM, Sandstorm94 said:

How was it?

Sent from my SM-S115DL using Tapatalk

Well, It was great !

I was a little disappointed as we didn't get the sleet, though.  We started around 3:00am with a little freezing rain but it changed over to almost all snow within an hour or two.  Only had a light glaze, less than 1/10th inch before the snow started.

But the snow was great. Almost 4" fell on Wednesday and another 7" on Thursday with the second system.  We were on the west side so we had a little more than reported at STL.  And it was low density snow, and so nice.  But it was such a low density that it was mostly impossible to make a snowman.

• 1 month later...