• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Banter Thread

jburns

Not sure the best forum to post these questions/thoughts so here I am, and here goes.

Posting this on May 5th after an exhaustive search for April NC average temperature departure from normal and I'm looking in the wrong places or it's not published.

Question: There are many AmWx threads dedicated to forecasted weather, daily observations, severe wx,  but am I the only one who thinks a Historic Wx forum that posts data such as prior month/year temperature departures, rainfall departures etc. would be of great interest?

This forum could also include a place for paid and amateur Mets/enthusiasts to restate what they forecast and why and what verified and why the departure from the forecast happened. 

I think this could be especially helpful to learn from winter wx under or non-performing events which happen a lot.  Why?

Meteorologists like Matthew East are excellent examples of Mets who do not hide from busted forecasts - instead, he uses them as a teachable moment to share his thoughts on a) here's what I thought, and why and b) here is what happened and why. 

Of course on-air time is limited but just a few words that address what most curious, even angry, viewers are thinking to at least use the busted package to teach the public about the inexact science of forecasting.  

I've been there when a winter storm warning is posted and cold rain results, then, the next on-air wx segment uses my most dreaded phrase used by Mets "we dodged a bullet."

Really interested to read what others think about these ideas.

One day I hope to have a home wx station to plot my data and post to Wx Underground...come to think of it, that may be where I should search for April departure values.

Thanks.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2020 at 10:23 AM, magpiemaniac said:

I’m so bored lately that I’m finding myself pretty excited about the prospects of an unusually rainy week.  I don’t mind 4”-5” of rain over several days.  I just don’t want it all at once.

Yepp, me too. I cleared all the ditches in the neighborhood so they could handle it.  I am ready for some hockey!

6 hours ago, frazdaddy said:

Yepp, me too. I cleared all the ditches in the neighborhood so they could handle it.  I am ready for some hockey!

The abrupt end to the NHL season has sort of left a “what if” feeling for me.  I was growing confident that the Canes could at least earn a wildcard and then who knows what else.  Ugh.  I’m not optimistic that the 2019-2020 season will be resumed.  And based on articles I’ve been reading, there are questions about if and how fans would be admitted into arenas and stadiums for the upcoming fall hockey and football seasons.

I won’t take the simple pleasures for granted anymore.

16 hours ago, magpiemaniac said:

The abrupt end to the NHL season has sort of left a “what if” feeling for me.  I was growing confident that the Canes could at least earn a wildcard and then who knows what else.  Ugh.  I’m not optimistic that the 2019-2020 season will be resumed.  And based on articles I’ve been reading, there are questions about if and how fans would be admitted into arenas and stadiums for the upcoming fall hockey and football seasons.

I won’t take the simple pleasures for granted anymore.

Bettman keeps making noises about a 24 team playoff in late August. They are talking events in two cities if they can get the players overseas back in the country. We will see if they can pull it off. If that happens I wonder if Dougie could go by then?

4 hours ago, frazdaddy said:

Bettman keeps making noises about a 24 team playoff in late August. They are talking events in two cities if they can get the players overseas back in the country. We will see if they can pull it off. If that happens I wonder if Dougie could go by then?

I read that DH was progressing well and would likely be ready by then.

Wanted to gauge everyone's thoughts here on coronavirus. I've basically been treated as the devil on my native region's (Lakes/OV) forum for opinions on the coronavirus and wanted to know what everyone thinks? Haha not here to start an argument but the thing I cannot get over is the fear seen in the northern states compared to down here. Was on the phone with relatives back in Ohio and they were aghast that two of my friends from Charlotte came down to do beaches, kayaking and restaurants this weekend as though we would all die. I'm wearing masks at all stores and what not but didn't know if everyone was just hunkering down or if you guys are simply being cautious out there

1 hour ago, nwohweather said:

Wanted to gauge everyone's thoughts here on coronavirus. I've basically been treated as the devil on my native region's (Lakes/OV) forum for opinions on the coronavirus and wanted to know what everyone thinks? Haha not here to start an argument but the thing I cannot get over is the fear seen in the northern states compared to down here. Was on the phone with relatives back in Ohio and they were aghast that two of my friends from Charlotte came down to do beaches, kayaking and restaurants this weekend as though we would all die. I'm wearing masks at all stores and what not but didn't know if everyone was just hunkering down or if you guys are simply being cautious out there

If you are under 60 and do not have preexisting health conditions, you are at very low risk from the virus, even if you do contract it. If you are under age 20, we know that flu season is far more dangerous to your health.

I have yet to wear a mask anywhere here in southwest Virginia. It's not being enforced or even directly suggested at any store or service provider I have visited. If I end up some place that demands wearing one, I suppose I will, but as an engineer, the idea that nonstandardized, random, contaminated pieces of cloth can appreciably prevent or stop the transmission of a tiny virus is just short of believing in magic beans. I wouldn't pile into an arena with 10,000 other people at this point, but freaking out about an unmasked person at a beach has no rational basis in the data we have.

My wife and I are both over 65 and both considered high risk, not just because of age, but underlying issued as well. With my wife being somewhat disabled, it adds another dimension. If I should get the virus and have to self quarantine, she couldn't take care of a lot of her basic needs - preparing meals, bathing, laundry, etc. While I'm concerned for my own well being, my bigger fear is possibly bringing it back to her. Locally, our cases are relatively small compared to many other areas in the state. Still, I'll continue to practice the safety suggestions when I go out, and continue to limit my trips out shopping.

Interesting to hear everyone’s thoughts. I posted the following below on the Lakes/OV forum and was attacked and called uneducated.
3d79363b325051590d5f993e9fbb63aa.jpg

It seems like in the southern states we are being precautious while northern states are just terrified of this. Apparently Stay at Home orders are in effect until mid June in Michigan and you are even limited on what you can buy at a store like Home Depot (paint and plants are non essential items so their purchase is disallowed)

On 5/5/2020 at 12:21 AM, Anonmet_GSO said:

Not sure the best forum to post these questions/thoughts so here I am, and here goes.

Posting this on May 5th after an exhaustive search for April NC average temperature departure from normal and I'm looking in the wrong places or it's not published.

Here's where you can find the April NC average temperature departure. For some reason the mapping feature isn't working, but the table is still there.

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/cag/statewide/mapping/110/tavg/202004/1/value

Which paid model subscription do you think would provide me with the best graphics/access going into the hurricane season? I've probably held off on subscribing to a premium one for a decade, but I think it is finally the time, given I've finally graduated now.

• 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, mackerel_sky said:

I’ve waited 40 years to be N of 85! Go big or go home! :)

You'll spend a lot of time up in Wisconsin.  Those weekend strolls over to Madison and up to Wisconsin Dells will be amazing.  Hope you like camping and fishing.  Definitely an outdoor sportsmans paradise.