Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Banter Thread

jburns

https://www.weather.gov/rah/events

After looking at some of these over the years, some patterns emerge. If Eastern NC jackpots, the precip cutoff usually won't get to Raleigh, or be too low to matter. Once the shield expands over the Triangle, it's usually enough to get into the Triad (and probably CLT too).

Very few times does the Triangle get a decent amount of snow and the Triad none. I can't recall it happening at all. (I'm sure it has, so I'm sure someone will link an event!) And I certainly don't remember GSO getting 3"+ snow, and WS getting none.

1 hour ago, YetAnotherRDUGuy said:

https://www.weather.gov/rah/events

After looking at some of these over the years, some patterns emerge. If Eastern NC jackpots, the precip cutoff usually won't get to Raleigh, or be too low to matter. Once the shield expands over the Triangle, it's usually enough to get into the Triad (and probably CLT too).

Very few times does the Triangle get a decent amount of snow and the Triad none. I can't recall it happening at all. (I'm sure it has, so I'm sure someone will link an event!) And I certainly don't remember GSO getting 3"+ snow, and WS getting none.

I enjoy looking at those and reading the case studies.

Where can I find the SREF plumes? @franklin NCwx or @Met1985 do you have the link?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, SN_Lover said:

If bullying me makes you feel better. Funny those "standards". But can call a met's map "lazy" with no explanation. 

Yes, there are standards here and you have been warned, 5 posted, put in time out too many times to count, and yet you still just like to start trouble. Now you are banned. 

Serious question... once I’ve ignored a user how long does it take for that to become effective?  I’m still seeing the same miserable posts from someone I ignored almost 24 hours ago.  I’ve tried multiple times closing out the browser and opening a new one and have verified that I have all the boxes checked in the ignore user feature.  

5 hours ago, SouthWake33 said:

Serious question... once I’ve ignored a user how long does it take for that to become effective?  I’m still seeing the same miserable posts from someone I ignored almost 24 hours ago.  I’ve tried multiple times closing out the browser and opening a new one and have verified that I have all the boxes checked in the ignore user feature.  

Disregard this post...the poster I was looking to ignore apparently had multiple similar user names.  I had blocked the wrong one.  

On 2/18/2020 at 7:54 PM, wncsnow said:

I enjoy looking at those and reading the case studies.

On another note, I've noticed RAH's last event on this page was 1/13/19, and that our latest event hasn't been included yet. These "events" usually also include heavy rain and thunderstorm events, which are year round. It's odd that nothing has been included for over a year.

So to be direct. I wonder if RAH doesn't compile these anymore. :cry:

40 years ago today. Who remembers the blizzard of March 1980? I lived in Virginia Beach at the time and we had around 15" with drifts up to 6 feet. It was the most snow I had ever seen until 1996. https://www.wral.com/40-years-ago-today-20-inches-of-snow-in-eastern-nc/18987680/?fbclid=IwAR2ltD6_LoJHnR8FGqDBglz1yIlQ_75h8JDqSRH8DmrhJvwCuDvp_YfxVJk

3 hours ago, yotaman said:

40 years ago today. Who remembers the blizzard of March 1980?

I was an EMT in Kill Devil Hills at the time. Half of our staff had gone to see the circus at Scope, and were snowed in up there for 2 days, and couldn't get back to the OBX for another day. Our skeleton crew (5 of us) had to pull an 96 hour shift, sleeping on the clinic beds/examining tables at Outer Banks Medical Center. We got hit pretty good with the snow as well... 10-12" with incredible drifts. There was a period there in the late 70s and early 80s when there was a coastal snowstorm every single time Barnum & Bailey's was in town up in Norfolk.

If yall get a chance and are interested, check out my group on Facebook called "Whats up with the Sky NC".  I started it back in December with a goal of having a place to share interesting or unusual(manmade or natural) events in the sky. Clouds, rockets, solar and lunar events, ISS crossings, sunrises, sunsets, etc are all welcome. Check it out and ask to join if you're interested and just because it says NC doesn't mean it's limited to only people in North Carolina.  If you decide to join, feel free to invite others. The more, the merrier!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, magpiemaniac said:

In an effort to minimize the further spread of the covid-19 coronavirus, Coach Roy Williams plans to announce later today that the Tar Heels do not intend to participate in the NCAA tournament.

Oh I think Va tech will take care of that officially very soon.

More importantly,  the Cane's have some work to do over the next two weeks for sure.