Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Banter Thread

jburns

1 hour ago, magpiemaniac said:

This would be nice weather for six weeks ago, but not for September 25th.  I guess we’re looking at October 4th or 5th at the earliest until we get a taste of fall.

Just saw that myself regarding the cool down potential for the first week in Oct.  But cooling is only half the battle.  If we lose our growing season for lawn and garden, I pray we don't have a wet winter because everything I own will be mud by February.  Need....rain...now.

13 minutes ago, kvegas-wx said:

Just saw that myself regarding the cool down potential for the first week in Oct.  But cooling is only half the battle.  If we lose our growing season for lawn and garden, I pray we don't have a wet winter because everything I own will be mud by February.  Need....rain...now.

Psst...come over here and I'll tell you the secret of a no stress yard.

Closer I don't want anyone else to hear.

OK

.....weed lawn

• Haha 6

1 minute ago, jburns said:

.....weed lawn

I used to say that weeds and grass looked similar when cut to a couple of inches.  That is until I moved to a neighborhood where I’m surrounded by one-acre manicured lawns that look like a Pinehurst fairway the Tuesday before the US Open.  That’s a lot of pressure to put on a person.  :o

1 hour ago, magpiemaniac said:

I used to say that weeds and grass looked similar when cut to a couple of inches.  That is until I moved to a neighborhood where I’m surrounded by one-acre manicured lawns that look like a Pinehurst fairway the Tuesday before the US Open.  That’s a lot of pressure to put on a person.  :o

I agree the manicured(read expensive) lawns look better than my weed lawn. For about 4 months a year if the weather cooperates. The golf course lawn shows heat and water stress first. They stay brown well into the spring and one light frost browns them up for the winter. I'm relaxed and ok with a green fairly good looking yard for most of the year over a four-month showplace.  Different strokes for different folks. :)

This is my yard in June. It's not as bright green now but it is basically the same even with the lack of any rain in Sept. 

large.jpg

large.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jburns said:

I agree the manicured(read expensive) lawns look better than my weed lawn. For about 4 months a year if the weather cooperates. The golf course lawn shows heat and water stress first. They stay brown well into the spring and one light frost browns them up for the winter. I'm relaxed and ok with a green fairly good looking yard for most of the year over a four-month showplace.  Different strokes for different folks. :)

This is my yard in June. It's not as bright green now but it is basically the same even with the lack of any rain in Sept. 

large.jpg

large.jpg

My weeds and lawn are toast!! Even the dandelions and crabgrass aren’t growing! The stretch of 90-95 degree days and weeks upon weeks of no rain, have taken a severe toll on all thing plants! :(

13 hours ago, mackerel_sky said:

My weeds and lawn are toast!! Even the dandelions and crabgrass aren’t growing! The stretch of 90-95 degree days and weeks upon weeks of no rain, have taken a severe toll on all thing plants! :(

And just 20 miles to your west, my yard looks a lot more like Burns. Definitely losing a few brown leaves, but trees still green. Hydrangeas wilting though. 

Five years ago. Tomorrow morning, I left Roxboro NC. Moved back home to central FL. Where I was born and partly raised. 

Dunno why it sticks with me so.

But 9-28-14 was cold for NC and Florida standards. 

Remember arriving at my grandparents house. They had the heat on.

Five years later. I have a short sleeve shirt on, shorts and flip flops. 

3 hours ago, Upstate Tiger said:

We arrived yesterday for our first OBX trip and this had just occurred.  Very very sad

https://www.wbtv.com/2019/10/02/national-weather-service-official-drowns-while-swimming-outer-banks/

That's truly sad. It seems there have been a lot more deaths this year attributed to rip currents. 

• 3 weeks later...
Reading this type of thing for quite a while now and haven't seen this term before.  

National Weather Service Denver/Boulder CO
501 AM MDT Sun Oct 27 2019

.SHORT TERM...(Today and tonight)
Issued at 501 AM MDT Sun Oct 27 2019

The cold air has moved into northern Colorado overnight, and as
the airmass has moistened, temperatures in the moist layer have
remained warmer than -10C, resulting in super-cooled liquid water
hydro-meteors. Until the airmass becomes even cooler, freezing
drizzle will continue falling. Road temperatures appear to be
remaining just above freezing, so ice accumulation has been
limited to elevated surfaces. 

I’ve had these stupid house flies pop up in the backyard this week.  Not a huge swarm, but enough to be a nuisance.  Not sure if it’s due to this warmer, wet weather or not.  I keep the trash can sealed up and the dog poop picked up, but I can’t go out on the patio without eight or ten flies buzzing around.

On 10/25/2019 at 12:13 PM, magpiemaniac said:

If you’re ever in need of rain during a significant drought, just make plans in advance to attend the race in Martinsville.  I’ve got my cooler packed, a couple of cigars, a full flask, new batteries in the radio, and an 80% chance of showers.  :raining:

The rain cleared out this morning and it ended up being nice for today’s race in Martinsville.  A little too warm for this time of the year, but the breeze helped.  The parking lot was a muddy mess though.  Several cars were stuck.  I saw a late model Mustang digging himself deeper by spinning his wheels.  I switched the Tundra to 4HI and didn’t have any issues.

12 hours ago, magpiemaniac said:

I’ve had these stupid house flies pop up in the backyard this week.  Not a huge swarm, but enough to be a nuisance.  Not sure if it’s due to this warmer, wet weather or not.  I keep the trash can sealed up and the dog poop picked up, but I can’t go out on the patio without eight or ten flies buzzing around.

Fly Prevention

Trash sealed....check

Dog poop picked up.......check

Took a shower this morning.........oops

• Haha 1

Our friend and board contributor Big Frosty from the Foothills of NC is having back spinal surgery this morning to have spacers and a rod put in to help lessen back pain associated with nerve compression.

Please cover him in prayer this morning for a successful surgery with no complications.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3