Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Banter Thread

jburns

11 hours ago, jburns said:

Small potatoes. This Marlin weighed over 3000 lbs.  Back in 66 it was I had just started to ..............

standard.jpg

That one is a lot purtier too. We were so excited to finally hook up that we brought the fish in the boat green and he promptly stuck his bill through one of my buddies shoe, foot and deck. We had to pry it out.

13 hours ago, frazdaddy said:

That one is a lot purtier too. We were so excited to finally hook up that we brought the fish in the boat green and he promptly stuck his bill through one of my buddies shoe, foot and deck. We had to pry it out.

Ah yes, a vocabulary enhancing incident.

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 10:28 AM, FallsLake said:

Happy Summer Solstice everybody! 

Good news: The length of daylight will now start to shorten with each passing day.

Bad news: It will continue to warm for about another month. **we have to reach equilibrium. 

MeanWhile in Colorado, they received 2 FEET of snow in places! In June!

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/colorado-gets-almost-2-feet-of-snow-on-the-first-day-of-summer/?ftag=COS-05-10aaa0g&utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+New+Content+(Feed)&utm_content=5d0eb9ff4079a700018e18b9&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

• Like 1

On 5/22/2019 at 12:17 PM, superjames1992 said:

Yeah, I just moved from Tallahassee to Durham this past weekend.  I am excited to see snow again. :snowman: I know the events that GSO gets that RDU does not are going to be painful, though! :weep:

I grew up right off Piedmont Parkway (where my parents still live), so I am quite familiar with Skeet Club (I actually went to Southwest Guilford High School right near there).

Welcome back home man. We have missed ya.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a good discussion (..at the end it turns to a debate) on lake effect snows for central and eastern NC. There are some good example links for 2003 and 2009.

https://cimmse.wordpress.com/2014/02/05/an-examination-of-lake-enhanced-snow-across-central-nc-on-22-january-2014-2/

As a side note: While living in Wake Forest back in the 90s, we had a similar event whereas a cold front passed and a nearly stationary thin band of snow formed over northern Wake County. Ended up with ~1" of snow (nothing was forecasted).    

1 hour ago, FallsLake said:

Here's a good discussion (..at the end it turns to a debate) on lake effect snows for central and eastern NC. There are some good example links for 2003 and 2009.

https://cimmse.wordpress.com/2014/02/05/an-examination-of-lake-enhanced-snow-across-central-nc-on-22-january-2014-2/

As a side note: While living in Wake Forest back in the 90s, we had a similar event whereas a cold front passed and a nearly stationary thin band of snow formed over northern Wake County. Ended up with ~1" of snow (nothing was forecasted).    

Good read ,thanks' Falls. I remember that and Fischell talking about it.

• 2 weeks later...

I made the weather channel.  Crazy storm came through Isle of Palms Thursday and I took a video of umbrellas bouncing down the beach.  All in all I'd say they lost about 50 umbrellas just along the stretch where we were staying.   At the end of the storm, the wind was blowing in the opposite direction.  Below is a screenshot of the video.

IMG_8995.HEIC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m moving from 3 miles west of downtown GSO to 11 miles north of downtown GSO.  Being farther away from the I-40/I-85 battle zone hopefully increases my chances for wintry precip.  :snowing:   I can’t complain though.  At the old house, I did pretty well most winters.  This upcoming season should be interesting.

I’m so sick of this humid heat though.  Bring on the months ending in BER.

• Like 1

On 8/19/2019 at 2:23 PM, NRVwxfan. said:

I'm probably gonna be in for a real shock this winter. Lived my whole life near Columbia SC. Now, I'm in SW VA. 

Hello neighbor. :)

I was going to say don't get your hopes too high - but then I see Columbia averages all of one snowy day and 1.5 inches of snow a year. I certainly hope we do better than that.

This has easily been the hottest summer in SW VA in the four years I've lived here. The past few years were significantly cooler and wetter than this, especially last year - 2018 was Roanoke's wettest year on record.

3 hours ago, frazdaddy said:

Post some pics man, might be all we get this year. Hope you are having a blast!

Yeah, I’m hoping we get a big Lake (Sea) Effect snow event here this year. Usually favors the areas south of us, but we can cash in sometimes. Japan is a beast when it comes to Sea effect snow. They receive insane amounts of snowfall. 

• Like 1