• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Banter Thread

jburns

The rest of the WRAL weather bench are pretty standard fare in terms of xs and os.  They show the end result/conclusions not the why behind the forecast logic.  What a huge loss.  Brad Panovich is too good to be at a third-place Charlotte news station - just sayin’.

Whoa-there! Why is Charlotte a bad gig? He gets to cover a variety of conditions from mountains to sandhills. It's a bigger media market than anything else in NC too. And, I definitely prefer his NBC affiliate over the ABC affiliate. CBS is about equal to NBC in Charlotte, IMO. Brad P doesn't need to go anywhere.

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, calculus1 said:

Whoa-there! Why is Charlotte a bad gig? He gets to cover a variety of conditions from mountains to sandhills. It's a bigger media market than anything else in NC too. And, I definitely prefer his NBC affiliate over the ABC affiliate. CBS is about equal to NBC in Charlotte, IMO. Brad P doesn't need to go anywhere.

NBC Charlotte is way down in a distant third place for news viewership in that market.  Brad sort of has a niche/cult following right now but isn't well known.  In the latest Nielsen viewership numbers for 6pm newscasts, WSOC had 109k viewers, WBTV 104k, and WCNC 47k.  It's a step up to go from that to the runaway #1 broadcast in the Triangle (WRAL 111k, WTVD 84k, WNCN 25k for the same sweeps period). 

Charlotte is the #23 media market DMA while Raleigh is #25.  It's a lateral move in terms of media market tier but to a station with orders of magnitude more cachet.

59 minutes ago, Brick Tamland said:

I would love to see Matthew East at WRAL.

As far as Fishel resigning, it really is bizarre. He was gone for about a month this same time last year, and they said it was a medical leave. This sounds really bad, and whatever is going on interfered with his job. I wonder if it is alcohol or drug related. Whatever it is, I hope he gets the help he needs and gets better. This is just a tremendous loss for WRAL and weather geeks in the Triangle area. I grew up watching Fishel, and he was a big reason why I became so interested in the weather. 

Fishel is a big reason why I became so interested in weather and I grew up in Florida!  I remember ordering VHS tapes by mail from WRAL documenting the NC hurricanes of 1996, and Greg's scientific approach to weather got me interested in delving deep into the science.  It was a stroke of luck that work and family brought me here to watch him live. 

NBC Charlotte is way down in a distant third place for news viewership in that market.  Brad sort of has a niche/cult following right now but isn't well known.  In the latest Nielsen viewership numbers for 6pm newscasts, WSOC had 109k viewers, WBTV 104k, and WCNC 47k.  It's a step up to go from that to the runaway #1 broadcast in the Triangle (WRAL 111k, WTVD 84k, WNCN 25k for the same sweeps period). 

Charlotte is the #23 media market DMA while Raleigh is #25.  It's a lateral move in terms of media market tier but to a station with orders of magnitude more cachet.
Well, your numbers don't lie. It would be a big jump in viewership. My personal preference for local news in Charlotte is what I gave. I still stand by my statement of interesting weather. There's a lot more snow and ice to forecast out of Charlotte north and west than there is out of Raleigh (as many posters on this site will bemoan).

It would be a big loss for our area if he left, but if WRAL would double his salary it might be difficult to refuse. I would have to imagine Panovich has had multiple offers from other stations over the past several years due to his savvy social media interaction, and yet he still resides in Charlotte. So, I hope that will still be the case for the foreseeable future.

7 minutes ago, calculus1 said:

Well, your numbers don't lie. It would be a big jump in viewership. My personal preference for local news in Charlotte is what I gave. I still stand by my statement of interesting weather. There's a lot more snow and ice to forecast out of Charlotte north and west than there is out of Raleigh (as many posters on this site will bemoan).

It would be a big loss for our area if he left, but if WRAL would double his salary it might be difficult to refuse. I would have to imagine Panovich has had multiple offers from other stations over the past several years due to his savvy social media interaction, and yet he still resides in Charlotte. So, I hope that will still be the case for the foreseeable future.

It'll be interesting to see if anyone from WRAL's current bench wants to step up into the role of chief.  Mike Maze is dependable but does the weather in a straightforward way like you can find anywhere.  The natural successor would've been Mike Moss if anyone, but unfortunately he retired just recently.  He's the sort of guy who could forecast the weather with a DIFAX chart and ink pen if he had to.  Wonder if they can bring him back.

6 minutes ago, WxKnurd said:

Officially a resident of Haywood County.  Always said I’d have a log home in the mountains one day and am proud to say I’m a log homeowner at 3350’ now, hard work still gets you what you want!

Congratulations, Haywood County is a great place to live.

The Smokies and Balsams help to create some fascinating weather situations around here as well. Enjoy!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WxKnurd said:

Officially a resident of Haywood County.  Always said I’d have a log home in the mountains one day and am proud to say I’m a log homeowner at 3350’ now, hard work still gets you what you want!

Congrats!  Nice to have another member of the Pack in WNC.

10 hours ago, Cheeznado said:

This forum should be renamed American Winter Weather- it is amazing how posts dry up almost completely once the threat of snow/ice is over. I love snow as much as the next person but am interested in all types of weather....

Well, warm weather does bring crickets:sun:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Solak said:

Well, the Daytona 500 is finally over. Now the NASCAR season can begin!:thumbsup:

I never got the appeal of artificially limited cars going around the same oval 250 times to find out who can be the first one to arrive at where they were when they started.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BillT said:

why do some people hope severe weather happens? 10+ people died this afternoon in bama

Excitement I believe. Personally I hate severe weather much like I hate hurricanes but I do like tracking them. Whether it be strong straight line winds or hail. I love very heavy downpours and the dark clouds from them but that's it.