• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Banter Thread

jburns

Get a window unit. Put it in your bedroom window so you can at least be cool while you sleep. And it's always good to have a backup system in case (when) your new central air has problems in the future.  

Sounds like a good plan. Problem is that it’s the upstairs unit. We have a separate unit for downstairs which is the main area of the house. The only thing upstairs are four bedrooms (including the master) two bathrooms, and my wife’s office/craft room. The downstairs unit works fine, but I’m worried that it might go soon as well. They’re both 13 years old and were cheap contractor grade made by Weather King. It’s inevitable that the downstairs unit will fail at some point.

Can’t justify spending money on four window units. I’m kinda at the mercy of the HVAC company.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, tramadoc said:

Sounds like a good plan. Problem is that it’s the upstairs unit. We have a separate unit for downstairs which is the main area of the house. The only thing upstairs are four bedrooms (including the master) two bathrooms, and my wife’s office/craft room. The downstairs unit works fine, but I’m worried that it might go soon as well. They’re both 13 years old and were cheap contractor grade made by Weather King. It’s inevitable that the downstairs unit will fail at some point.

Can’t justify spending money on four window units. I’m kinda at the mercy of the HVAC company.

You could probably get 4 window units for 600$ total, 1 new heat pump and installation, will most likely be north of 4-5000$

You could probably get 4 window units for 600$ total, 1 new heat pump and installation, will most likely be north of 4-5000$

The problem there is that the long term trade off for buying four AC window units for hot weather and four space heaters for cold weather is highly increased electrical bills. Get the new HVAC unit that is “green” cuts down on electrical costs both short and long term. In the long run it just makes better fiscal sense to buy a whole new upstairs HVAC unit.

The new unit is set to be installed on May 7th. Yay!! About time. It will have been almost six weeks from the initial service call when they finally get it put in.

On 4/20/2019 at 8:41 PM, FallsLake said:

For the Triangle you're in a good spot. The Wake County split has been in full affect the last three years. I've done good at my location whereas folks south and east of Raleigh have missed out on most of the storms. You would have to think the luck will change soon and NC get a big coastal plain special; but who knows...

Yeah, it seems like RDU-NW has done pretty well lately, but areas like Cold Rain’s neck of the woods in SE Wake have gotten screwed lately.

Anyways, I move in a couple weeks.  It can’t come soon enough as it’s getting really hot down here now.  The last couple months have been pretty nice weather wise (60s-80s for highs), but the highs are now creeping towards 90 and the overnight lows near 70...soon enough nearly every day here will be 95/75. :thumbsdown:

• Like 1

Took a screenshot of this Satellite Photo from yesterday.

I was enamored with it so I showed it to my family.  Everyone sees something different, but tell me what you see off the coast of the Carolinas?

Satellite Image 2019-05-05.jpg

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Shack said:

Took a screenshot of this Satellite Photo from yesterday.

I was enamored with it so I showed it to my family.  Everyone sees something different, but tell me what you see off the coast of the Carolinas?

The head of a lion/tiger?

I see the head of a two tone young cow.  The grayed out snout is east of SC, then the eye with the white striped forehead just to the west of the eye, and then the ear is the little loop just to the east of where the forehead stripe ends.

On another note, I need brighter security lights up at the house in Stuart VA.  The only lights in that half of VA is in Roanoke!

Looks like the eye of a tiger.

Im heading from Salt Lake City to Cheyenne, Wyoming tomorrow.  It looks like it might snow there some tomorrow, so perhaps I’ll get to see some snowfall this “winter” after all.  I saw snow on the ground high in the Colorado mountains driving the other day.  Got some cool pictures at a rest stop west of Denver where the snow was piled many feet deep.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I seem to have brought the oppressive Florida summertime heat with me.  This weekend looks awful.  I got moved up here this past weekend and start my new job next week.  At least the weather is nice today.

I'm back to my old Carolina Crusher avatar since I'm no longer begging for scraps in the FL panhandle.  I need a nice snowstorm this winter; it has been too long. :(

I'm looking forward to chasing storms again this winter.  Perhaps I will re-up my WB and AmericanWX Model Center subscriptions, which I didn't see the need for in Florida. :)

• Like 2

On 5/8/2019 at 11:35 AM, superjames1992 said:

Looks like the eye of a tiger.

Im heading from Salt Lake City to Cheyenne, Wyoming tomorrow.  It looks like it might snow there some tomorrow, so perhaps I’ll get to see some snowfall this “winter” after all.  I saw snow on the ground high in the Colorado mountains driving the other day.  Got some cool pictures at a rest stop west of Denver where the snow was piled many feet deep.

I saw some snow along the way, including some pretty impressive snowfall in the higher elevations driving between Laramie and Cheyenne, but there wasn't any accumulating snowfall in Cheyenne while I was there, unfortunately (I think there was earlier in the day, but the sizzling mid-May sun angle had extinguished it by the time I got there). :lol:

17 hours ago, YetAnotherRDUGuy said:

Sooooooo, could be moving to Greensboro in August. Would be signing a 1 year lease if I take the opportunity.

Can I change my name to YetAnotherGSOGuy?B)

You moved one year too late for last year's one-footer (and I moved away three years too early, LOL).  Enjoy the Greensboro winters! :)

My parents still live in N High Point (near the airport), so I guess I could always chase a snowstorm there depending on what looks most likely to get hit (but then there's always the issue of having to go to work...).

9 hours ago, superjames1992 said:

You moved one year too late for last year's one-footer (and I moved away three years too early, LOL).  Enjoy the Greensboro winters! :)

My parents still live in N High Point (near the airport), so I guess I could always chase a snowstorm there depending on what looks most likely to get hit (but then there's always the issue of having to go to work...).

Yea, I grew up in a neighborhood off Skeet Club Rd. N High Point is pretty similar to the rest of Greensboro climo wise (from what I remember). We'll see what happens..

Weren't you in Tallahassee before? and now you're in Durham? That means you'll be in the game for at least half of the winter threats this year.

9 hours ago, YetAnotherRDUGuy said:

Yea, I grew up in a neighborhood off Skeet Club Rd. N High Point is pretty similar to the rest of Greensboro climo wise (from what I remember). We'll see what happens..

Weren't you in Tallahassee before? and now you're in Durham? That means you'll be in the game for at least half of the winter threats this year.

Yeah, I just moved from Tallahassee to Durham this past weekend.  I am excited to see snow again. :snowman: I know the events that GSO gets that RDU does not are going to be painful, though! :weep:

I grew up right off Piedmont Parkway (where my parents still live), so I am quite familiar with Skeet Club (I actually went to Southwest Guilford High School right near there).

Need some calm weather and seas on June 2nd. Going on a half day trip on the carolina princess. We went out last year on the Capt stacy and did good but there were close 80 people onboard and at one point only 5 or so of us were up fishing the rest were laid out. We had 5 to 7 waves and an occasional bigger set closer to 8 to 10 feet.

42 minutes ago, shaggy said:

Need some calm weather and seas on June 2nd. Going on a half day trip on the carolina princess. We went out last year on the Capt stacy and did good but there were close 80 people onboard and at one point only 5 or so of us were up fishing the rest were laid out. We had 5 to 7 waves and an occasional bigger set closer to 8 to 10 feet.

Good luck sir, was down last weekend they loaded up.

On 5/24/2019 at 4:51 PM, frazdaddy said:

Good luck sir, was down last weekend they loaded up.

Brought home 25 fish so not too bad. No big fish but we had the boat pretty much to ourselves. Only had 22 people on the boat. Water was as calm as it could possibly have been.

On 6/3/2019 at 1:40 PM, frazdaddy said:

Nice, all snappers and grouper?

Nope grunts, ringtails, a triggerfish and a bunch of throwback black sea bass. Some guys caught some nice amberjacks and a decent cobia. There were a good number of cobia circling the boat.

Screenshot_20190604-141218_Gallery.jpg

8 hours ago, shaggy said:

Nope grunts, ringtails, a triggerfish and a bunch of throwback black sea bass. Some guys caught some nice amberjacks and a decent cobia. There were a good number of cobia circling the boat.

Screenshot_20190604-141218_Gallery.jpg

Nice looking bait. Did you catch any fish? :)

It's GFS-FV3 showtime.

National Weather ServiceVerified account @NWS 3h3 hours ago

.@NOAA’s flagship weather model is undergoing a significant upgrade today to improve future forecasts of severe weather, winter storms, and tropical cyclones. Read more at https://www.noaa.gov/media-release/noaa-upgrades-us-global-weather-forecast-model  #GFSD83rBoFWsAE4cez.jpg

• Like 2

61st annual big rock blue marlin tourny outnof morehead city is coming to staggering finish. Reportedly over 40 marlin were released today and I  believe 6 to 7 were brought to the dock for weigh-in. Biggest marlin is worth 1.3 million and a boat smashed the old tourny record today. Day one saw a 588lb marlin caught. That fish led until tonight when a whopping 914lb fish came in. This beats a previous record of 831lb.

Even crazier is theres still one boat coming in with a fish they fought for 10 hours.

The fish on the left is the 588 previous leader, obviously fish on the right is the 914lber.

Screenshot_20190615-213008_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 2

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 10:04 PM, shaggy said:

61st annual big rock blue marlin tourny outnof morehead city is coming to staggering finish. Reportedly over 40 marlin were released today and I  believe 6 to 7 were brought to the dock for weigh-in. Biggest marlin is worth 1.3 million and a boat smashed the old tourny record today. Day one saw a 588lb marlin caught. That fish led until tonight when a whopping 914lb fish came in. This beats a previous record of 831lb.

Even crazier is theres still one boat coming in with a fish they fought for 10 hours.

The fish on the left is the 588 previous leader, obviously fish on the right is the 914lber.

Screenshot_20190615-213008_Samsung Internet.jpg

Wow, fished that tourney several times in the early 80's. Staggering is a great word there. Blue Marlin is some of the most fun you will ever have in a fighting chair. We once hooked 4 at one time, had to cut 3 loose. The 914 crew are from my wife's old neighborhood.

11 hours ago, frazdaddy said:

Wow, fished that tourney several times in the early 80's. Staggering is a great word there. Blue Marlin is some of the most fun you will ever have in a fighting chair. We once hooked 4 at one time, had to cut 3 loose. The 914 crew are from my wife's old neighborhood.

Small potatoes. This Marlin weighed over 3000 lbs.  Back in 66 it was I had just started to ..............

standard.jpg

• Haha 2