• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Banter Thread

jburns

What website does everyone use for radar? I used to use Intellicast but they went away and merged with wunderground which I find takes too long to load as it is very heavy with ads. I use weather.com now but do not like it's presentation too much on the computer. It is much better on my phone for some odd reason.

1 hour ago, yotaman said:

What website does everyone use for radar? I used to use Intellicast but they went away and merged with wunderground which I find takes too long to load as it is very heavy with ads. I use weather.com now but do not like it's presentation too much on the computer. It is much better on my phone for some odd reason.

My favorite is the COD:

https://weather.cod.edu/satrad/nexrad/index.php?type=GSP-N0Q-0-12

• Like 1

On 3/3/2019 at 8:08 PM, yotaman said:

It is possible to make bookmarks that directly lead to an animated GIF of the wunderground radar!!  :)

Basically, you can configure the settings through this page, including changing to a different radar site.

https://www.wunderground.com/weather-radar/united-states/nc/raleigh-durham/rdu/

Mainly I would recommend setting the number of frames to 10 unless you prefer fewer! At the very bottom of the dark gray panel is the Save Image button. You can also right click the Save Image button and open a new tab if that is possible in your browser!

Either way it will hopefully open a GIF all by itself, and you will be able to make it a bookmark!  Visiting the bookmark on another day is somehow able to run all of the same settings that you initially selected and produce an up to date new radar image!!   

And of course, you can set up different zoom levels and radar angles, then, use the Save Image option again and you can bookmark those too! 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Welp; heat, humidity, weeds, skeeters already EVERYWHERE in my neighborhood at least, pollen, allergies, bees, bugs, already mowed my front twice and dandelions everywhere, back yard looks like a jungle of twisted weeds and onion patches, Argentine Ants in the house; I'm already sick of it! I wish I could just repeat October through March weather every year and never have April through September weather!

9 hours ago, superjames1992 said:

I got a new job, so I’m moving to Durham next month.  I will see snow again! :)

RDU winters are about to start rockin’. (hopefully) ;)

That's great! It's going to be nice to get you back to the area; and to have you as a RDU person. You know this area well, we can score big and bust big.  

• Thanks 1

I have a question. My wife and I are heading to Colorado for a vacation this summer. We would go either in July or late August/early Sept. Airline tickets are much cheaper for the later than in July by several hundred dollars. Thing is I am now deftly worried about Hurricanes after last year but we so want to go. I know the fear is pretty much unfounded since the chance of getting a storm in any given year is slim but would you go and not worry about storms?

18 hours ago, yotaman said:

I have a question. My wife and I are heading to Colorado for a vacation this summer. We would go either in July or late August/early Sept. Airline tickets are much cheaper for the later than in July by several hundred dollars. Thing is I am now deftly worried about Hurricanes after last year but we so want to go. I know the fear is pretty much unfounded since the chance of getting a storm in any given year is slim but would you go and not worry about storms?

There's always a chance a big storm could hit, but statistically not likely. Many (many) years back I took a trip with my parents to Colorado. It was early September and it was great; right before all the trees started changing colors and the cold took over. Drove up to Pikes Peak and traveled through the high elevation areas west of Colorado Springs (..Cripple Creek area). Later in life my wife and I camped in the Rocky Mountains National Park; but funny that was in July and we had a great time then as well. So basically I wouldn't worry about the weather. I would go when it best fits your time and budget.      

• Thanks 1

On 4/13/2019 at 8:23 AM, FallsLake said:

That's great! It's going to be nice to get you back to the area; and to have you as a RDU person. You know this area well, we can score big and bust big.  

On 4/17/2019 at 12:17 PM, frazdaddy said:

Good to have you back!

Thanks!  I’m looking forward to getting back to NC.  My reasons for wanting to move back up there are more involved than just the weather (closer to family again, better job/job opportunities, etc.), but I must admit that I am looking forward to the weather!  It will be nice to be able to track storms during the winter with some skin in the game again, and it will be nice to not drown in sweat all summer (not that RDU summers aren’t hot, but it isn’t FL panhandle hot).

Maybe RDU can start striking back at GSO in the snowfall department?  Obviously, GSO averages more snowfall than RDU for obvious reasons, but the averages aren’t that different, so it seems like RDU has drawn the short straw more often than not this last decade or so.  Maybe still paying for the demons of January 2000? :lol:

I’m moving to SW Durham specifically, so I guess I’ll be in better position than most in the Triangle.

10 hours ago, superjames1992 said:

Thanks!  I’m looking forward to getting back to NC.  My reasons for wanting to move back up there are more involved than just the weather (closer to family again, better job/job opportunities, etc.), but I must admit that I am looking forward to the weather!  It will be nice to be able to track storms during the winter with some skin in the game again, and it will be nice to not drown in sweat all summer (not that RDU summers aren’t hot, but it isn’t FL panhandle hot).

Maybe RDU can start striking back at GSO in the snowfall department?  Obviously, GSO averages more snowfall than RDU for obvious reasons, but the averages aren’t that different, so it seems like RDU has drawn the short straw more often than not this last decade or so.  Maybe still paying for the demons of January 2000? :lol:

I’m moving to SW Durham specifically, so I guess I’ll be in better position than most in the Triangle.

For the Triangle you're in a good spot. The Wake County split has been in full affect the last three years. I've done good at my location whereas folks south and east of Raleigh have missed out on most of the storms. You would have to think the luck will change soon and NC get a big coastal plain special; but who knows...

• Thanks 1

On 4/20/2019 at 9:49 AM, superjames1992 said:

Should’ve just moved to Roxboro , the snow capital of NC, outside the mountains!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, tramadoc said:

HVAC Unit has been broken (needs replacement) since March 23. Unit has been on order according to my HVAC guy. Been a month now with no work and 80’s just around the corner. Now he won’t return my phone calls. Starting to get pissed.

Get a window unit. Put it in your bedroom window so you can at least be cool while you sleep. And it's always good to have a backup system in case (when) your new central air has problems in the future.