Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Banter Thread

jburns

24 minutes ago, timnc910 said:

Some of the banter post in the discussion thread is just ridiculous. i go in there to get reliable information about the upcoming pattern and possible storms. However i have to sort through numerous of unrelated post than the topic at hand. All this cliff diving between each model suite itself is quite appalling. For example 0z could be showing a great setup and everyone is pumped up and talking about certain dates that could potentially produce storms. then 6z could show and unfavorable set up and everyone is going crazy filling the discussion with pointless post screaming torch fest and we never can get a good set up etc.  Again we are in the south east. I myself want to get wintry weather as bad as any other person on this board but if it doesn't happen i don't go in the discussion thread with my self pity ranting about why each model suit wasn't as favorable as the other. 

I agree. It’s always the same cast of characters. We try to remind them to keep whining to banter. 

53 minutes ago, Southern Track said:

Yep.  Rinse and repeat every winter.

Well earlier this weeks temps were supposed to be in the low 50’s today for highs. . This forecast is showing 48. 

Woke up to 43 this morning. Since rain has come in temperatures have actually dropped to 42 as of 12:30 pm.Dont know if thst will have an effect if rain were to chance over later.   

1 hour ago, timnc910 said:

Some of the banter post in the discussion thread is just ridiculous. i go in there to get reliable information about the upcoming pattern and possible storms. However i have to sort through numerous of unrelated post than the topic at hand. All this cliff diving between each model suite itself is quite appalling. For example 0z could be showing a great setup and everyone is pumped up and talking about certain dates that could potentially produce storms. then 6z could show and unfavorable set up and everyone is going crazy filling the discussion with pointless post screaming torch fest and we never can get a good set up etc.  Again we are in the south east. I myself want to get wintry weather as bad as any other person on this board but if it doesn't happen i don't go in the discussion thread with my self pity ranting about why each model suit wasn't as favorable as the other. 

Agree. I completely understand the frustration; we all get the short end of the stick most of the time because of where we live, but it would be easier to read the discussion thread if it didn't have so much banter. I'm all for venting but those posts need to be in the appropriate threads. I think in this case, it is getting bad because most of the board has yet to see snow. We've been reading about this incredible pattern since the Fall and it has yet to establish itself; the models have been showing some incredible soultions (getting people's hopes up despite years of experience teaching them not to fall for it) over the past few weeks but none of them seem to verify even close. Now we have massive swings and it just feels like it's taking forever to get cold and patience is wearing thin. OP runs also tend to make the most noise (I guess because they have such potential to show big dogs and crushing cold) but we all need to remember that the ensembles do a better job at showing trends and opportuities. While I'd love to be able to find even one OP run giving me snow (it's always north or west) it's very encouraging having seen it on ensemble soltutions, as well as all the potential for cold and energy coming up. There's never a guarantee, especially outside the mountains, but what we're seeing is way better than what we've seen since the Dec storm. All we can do is be happy we'll have some opportunities and hope it works out. If it doesn't I'll be very disappointed, of course; but at least we'll be in the game; that's better than just riding the bench all the time.   

Dang.  The number of people that I now 'ignore' is getting out of hand.  Can the moderators please just take a minute to nicely touch some of them on the shoulder and say, "Hey, we like you, but read more, post less?" A little banter thrown in here-and-there in the discussion thread is fine, but folks, c'mon. And, I like to see something showing up that warrants it's own thread, but......just dang.

And.... the Saints were robbed.  That is all.

34 minutes ago, Shack said:

Dang.  The number of people that I now 'ignore' is getting out of hand.  Can the moderators please just take a minute to nicely touch some of them on the shoulder and say, "Hey, we like you, but read more, post less?" A little banter thrown in here-and-there in the discussion thread is fine, but folks, c'mon. And, I like to see something showing up that warrants it's own thread, but......just dang.

And.... the Saints were robbed.  That is all.

You've averaged less than two posts a month over the past eight years. If you want to participate fully please do so. If you want to simply lurk and read that is fine as well. What is not a good look is basically being a lurker and then suddenly trying to control what others post.

• Like 1

Here to pile on. That might be one of the worst(if not THE worst) non calls in a pivotal part of a playoff game I've ever seen. I honestly think the Saints would have won if the refs hadn't blown it. 

On another note, not nearly as cold at KC as they were thinking earlier last week. Instead of single digits, it's just in the teens. Still not too shabby, but nothing like the epic cold it could have been there.

6 hours ago, YetAnotherRDUGuy said:

The discussion thread just threw out a term I don't think I've ever heard/read before. What the heck does 'anafontal' mean?

Non using letters??? LOL! I think they meant anafrontal. 

A front at which the warm air is ascending the frontal surface up to high altitudes.

With anafronts, precipitation may occur to the rear of the front and is sometimes associated with cyclogenesis. 
  • Thanks 1

Anyone else questioning the story of the missing 3yr old boy in craven county? I know 2 guys that went down to help search. They both said their were hundreds of people looking. Multiple helicopters including 2 state trooper ones with FLIR and 6 trained dogs that never struck his scent. He was found only 1/4 mile from his yard. Seems that many people,dogs and helicopters would have seen or heard him. Add that he was found following a "tip" it all seems odd.

He went missing Tuesday wearing just a jacket and was missing for 55 hours? 12 of those hours were below freezing with 4 hours in the teens. A 30lb 3 year old surviving that is either the most incredible story or there is something amiss here.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, shaggy said:

Anyone else questioning the story of the missing 3yr old boy in craven county? I know 2 guys that went down to help search. They both said their were hundreds of people looking. Multiple helicopters including 2 state trooper ones with FLIR and 6 trained dogs that never struck his scent. He was found only 1/4 mile from his yard. Seems that many people,dogs and helicopters would have seen or heard him. Add that he was found following a "tip" it all seems odd.

He went missing Tuesday wearing just a jacket and was missing for 55 hours? 12 of those hours were below freezing with 4 hours in the teens. A 30lb 3 year old surviving that is either the most incredible story or there is something amiss here.

I saw that too.  Doesn't add up at all.

12 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

I saw that too.  Doesn't add up at all.

Having a hard time with that myself @shaggy. Had not heard the tip part. I have a buddy that flew those choppers with flir for the NCHP. They don't miss much if it's warmer than surrounding fauna. Remember, that's how they found the Boston marathon guy hiding in the boat under a cover. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, frazdaddy said:

Having a hard time with that myself @shaggy. Had not heard the tip part. I have a buddy that flew those choppers with flir for the NCHP. They don't miss much if it's warmer than surrounding fauna. Remember, that's how they found the Boston marathon guy hiding in the boat under a cover. 

The kid is saying he was befriended by a purple bear for 2 days while he was out there or so it's been leaked. Story gets stranger by the hour.