• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Futility Thread - Winter 18/19

NorEastermass128

DISCLAIMER:  I’m starting this thread early just to chronicle our frustrations in a winter that finds new ways NOT to snow.  Hopefully in a month or so, we can look back at this thread and laugh at how unnecessary/ridiculous it was in the first place.  For now, we watch...

BOS sits at 0.2” going into January. Pattern looks bleak for snow through 1/15-1/20.

We should break our streak of bad luck later in January with a more favorable pattern...hopefully making this thread obsolete. If for some reason the back half of this winter throws us a curve and peters out before getting started, we can root for futility in this thread. 

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but futility in BOS is under 10”. Something like 9.6”. Hopefully we exceed that figure by 5x or more. Time will tell. 

We can come back to this thread as needed. Hopefully not. Here’s to a 14/15 comeback!

Lol, so this is the NE equivalent of the MA Panic Room? Should be entertaining. I keep reminding myself that many the best winter months of my life were preceded by garbage patterns and much wringing of hands/pulling out of hair. I expect by February this thread will be forgotten at the bottom of the page and we will be singing a much different tune.

2 hours ago, Whineminster said:

The Hallmark of a bad winter..... favorable patterns keep being "2 weeks out"....

Even if it does start to be good in late January big whoop de Doo. We've all been waiting for a winter 2015 that starts in mid December so we can actually keep the pack around all winter.

Not specifically arguing your point but 2014-15 started in late January and is (for Worcester on east) considered the winter of our lives.  

48 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Lol, so this is the NE equivalent of the MA Panic Room? Should be entertaining. I keep reminding myself that many the best winter months of my life were preceded by garbage patterns and much wringing of hands/pulling out of hair. I expect by February this thread will be forgotten at the bottom of the page and we will be singing a much different tune.

Responding to your last sentence...…..that's the hope.

• Like 1

I'm still on the Ray train...he is not wrong yet!  But...I have to think the LR forecasters at NCEP aren't blithering idiots, and they forecasted wall-to-wall Pacific crap.  Also, every private forecaster, blogger, etc. that I follow called for a cold stormy winter.  I worry when the herd stampedes towards one side of the boat.

8 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

The melts coming?  1/2 of you have already lost it. 

Bob acts like not really caring if it snows is normal for the board. Most of us are sick. That is the norm.

even some Mets try to keep it together for their reputation but they aren’t happy 

voicing displeasure with the roll of the dice of the winter patterns so far is therapeutic 

2 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

It’s starting to get that look, deny if you want, but it is what it is.

I bet most major SNE stations finish the season 15-25% below normal snowfall, at least.

Maybe it’s time for a annual snow “competition/ contest”

see what people really believe between the tea leaves is likely to fall thru April at big 4 of SNE.

Maybe start this in about 5 days when the MJO provides a little more clarity as to wether the gfs / or euro is more correct with MJO roundy plots

if i was setting lines currently 

I would have 

O/U

ORH   54

BOS 39

PVD 34

BDL 41

Interested to see if Dentrite / Mets would be confident on either side of that 

25 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Bob acts like not really caring if it snows is normal for the board. Most of us are sick. That is the norm.

even some Mets try to keep it together for their reputation but they aren’t happy 

voicing displeasure with the roll of the dice of the winter patterns so far is therapeutic 

Yep, y’all are just weird to me. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

see what people really believe between the tea leaves is likely to fall thru April at big 4 of SNE.

Maybe start this in about 5 days when the MJO provides a little more clarity as to wether the gfs / or euro is more correct with MJO roundy plots

I would have 

O/U

ORH   54

BOS 39

PVD 34

BDL 41

Under for all 5

ORH 39

BOS 27

PVD 24

BDL 29

3 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I would have 

O/U

ORH   54

BOS 39

PVD 34

BDL 41

Yeah i posted a 50" O-U for ORH the other day and left it out there for ORH_wxman to comment on.

2 hours ago, scoob40 said:

Yeah i posted a 50" O-U for ORH the other day and left it out there for ORH_wxman to comment on.

I must've missed it. Right now I'd still take over on 50" for ORH. Climo from here on out is 51" and there's already over 9" on the season. So the expected total snowfall for ORH right now would be about 60" if we followed climo from here on out.

Hell, even 2006-2007 had 5" on the entire season on 1/31 and still finished with 49.7" and we didn't exactly nail jackpots in the 2nd half of that winter. If we're still screwing around with 10" or so near the end of January then I'd probably change it to taking the under. But weaker El Niño 2nd half tends to be pretty good. 

3 hours ago, dendrite said:

5 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I would have 

O/U

ORH   54

BOS 39

PVD 34

BDL 41

Over on all four.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Go Kart Mozart said:

I'm still on the Ray train...he is not wrong yet!  But...I have to think the LR forecasters at NCEP aren't blithering idiots, and they forecasted wall-to-wall Pacific crap.  Also, every private forecaster, blogger, etc. that I follow called for a cold stormy winter.  I worry when the herd stampedes towards one side of the boat.

They aren't blithering idiots. They factored in the El Nino. Many others did not.

14 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

They aren't blithering idiots. They factored in the El Nino. Many others did not.

They aren't idiots...but they factored it in incorrectly. Just like they did the la nina last season...I explained why their thoughts were flawed in November, and reiterated why they were in March.

I'll do it again this season.