Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    15,389
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    crossbowftw3
    Newest Member
    crossbowftw3
    Joined
Sign in to follow this  
Vice-Regent

Crimes Against the Earth

Recommended Posts

 

“Dear Caesar 
Keep Burning, raping, killing
But please, please
Spare us your obscene poetry
And ugly music “

(From Seneca’s last letter to Nero)

The excavation of more than 600 billion tons of toxic carbon and hydrocarbon geological remains of previous biospheres and their transfer to the atmosphere as carbon gases constitutes nothing less than insanity leading to global suicide.

With estimated profitable carbon reserves in excess of 20,000 GtC (Assessing “Dangerous Climate Change”, see this), including oil shale, tar sand, coal seam gas, further emissions would take the atmosphere, oceans and biosphere back to early Eocene (~55-40 million years ago) and Mesozoic-like (pre-65 million years ago) greenhouse atmosphere and acid oceans conditions, during which large parts of the continents were inundated by the oceans. Most likely to survive the extreme transition over a few centuries would be grasses, some insects and perhaps some birds, descendants of the fated dinosaurs. A new evolutionary cycle would commence. Survivors of Homo sapiens may endure in the Arctic.

Screen-Shot-2018-12-14-at-11.21.00-PM.pn

Figure 1. Global warming by January 2018 relative to 1951-1980

Since about 542 million years ago, acting as the lungs of the biosphere, the Earth’s atmosphere developed an oxygen-rich composition over hundreds of millions of years, allowing emergence of breathing animals.

A critical parameter in Drake’s Equation, which seeks to estimate the number of planets that host civilizations in the Milky Way galaxy, is L – the longevity of technological civilizations. Estimates of L range between a minimum of 70 years and 10,000 years, but even for the more optimistic scenarios, only a tiny fraction of such planets would exist in the galaxy at the present time. It is another question whether an intelligent species exists in this, or any other galaxy, which has brought about a mass extinction of species on the scale initiated by Homo sapiens since the mid-18th century and in particular since 1945..

The history of Earth includes six major mass extinctions defining the end of several periods, including the End-Ediacaran, Ordovician, Devonian, Permian, Jurassic and Cretaceous periods. Each of these events has been triggered either by extra-terrestrial impacts (End-Ediacaran and K-T) , massive volcanic eruptions, or methane release and related greenhouse events. Yet, with the exception of the proposed role of methanogenic bacteria for methane eruptions, the current Seventh mass extinction of species constitutes a novelty. For the first time in its history, the biosphere is in crisis through biological forcing by an advanced form of life, i.e. of a technological carbon-emitting species.

The distinct glacial-interglacial cycles of the Pleistocene (2.6 million years ago to 10,000 years ago), with rapid mean global temperature changes of up to 5 degrees Celsius rises over a few thousand years, and, in some instances shorter periods, forced an extreme adaptability of the Genus Homo. Of all the life forms on Earth, only this genus mastered fire, proceeding to manipulate the electromagnetic spectrum, split the atom and travel to other planets, a cultural change overtaking biological change.

Possessed by a conscious fear of death, craving a god-like immortality and omniscience, Homo developed the absurd faculty to simultaneously create and destroy, culminating with the demise of the atmospheric conditions that allowed its flourishing in the first place. The biological root factors which underlie the transformation of tribal warriors into button-pushing automatons capable of triggering global warming or a nuclear winter remain inexplicable.

Inherent in the enigma are little-understood top-to-base mechanisms, explored among others by George Ellis, who states: “although the laws of physics explain much of the world around us, we still do not have a realistic description of causality in truly complex hierarchical structures.” (“Physics, complexity and causality”, Nature, 435: 743, June 2005):

66 million years ago, huge asteroids hit the Earth, extinguishing the dinosaurs and vacating habitats, succeeded by the flourishing of mammals. At 56 million years ago, in the wake of a rise of atmospheric CO2 to levels near-800 parts per million, the monkeys made appearance. About 34 million years ago, weathering of the rising Himalayan and Alps sequestered CO2.  Earth was cooling, the Antarctic ice sheet formed and conditions on land became suitable for large, warm blooded mammals.

About 5.2 to 2.6 million years ago, in the Pliocene, with temperatures 2 – 3oC and sea levels 25+/-12 meters higher than during the 15th to 18th centuries, the accentuation of climate oscillations saw the appearance of the genus Paranthropus and the genus Homo. At least about one million years ago the mastering of fire by Homo Erectus, about a quarter of a millennium ago the appearance of Homo sapiens,and about 8,000 years ago the stabilization of the interglacial Holocene, saw the Neolithic and urban civilization.

Since the industrial age about 1750 and in particular from 1950, a period denoted as the Anthropocoene (cf. Steffen, Crutzen and McNeill, Ambio, 36, 614-621, 2007), deforestation and climate change led to the demise of an estimated 10,000 species per year due to destruction of habitats, ever increasing carbon pollution, acidification of the hydrosphere.

Planetcide stems back to deep recesses of the human mind, primeval fear of death leading to yearning for god-like immortality. Once excess food was produced, fear and its counterpart, violence, grew out of control, generating murderous orgies called “war“, designed to conquer death to appease the Gods.

From the Romans to the Third Reich, the barbarism of empires surpasses that of small marauding tribes. In the name of freedomthey never cease to bomb peasant populations in their small fields. Only among the wretched of the Earth is true charity common, where empathy is learnt through suffering.

War is a synonym for ritual sacrifice of the young. From infanticide by rival warlord baboons, to the butchering of young children on Aztec altars, to the generational sacrifice such as in WWI, youths follow leaders blindly to the death. Hijacking the image of Christ, a messenger of justice and peace, fundamentalists promote a self-fulfilling Armageddon, while other see their future on space ships and barren planets. Nowadays a cabal of multibillionaires, executives and their political and media mouthpieces are leading the human race and much of nature to ultimate demise, with little resistance from the majority of people, either unaware or too afraid to resist the slide over the cliff.

Humans live in a realm of perceptions, dreams, myths and legends, in denial of critical existential factors (Janus: A summing up, Arthur Koestler, 1978) in a world as cruel as it is beautiful. Existentialist philosophy allows a perspective into, and a way of coping with, all that defies rational contemplation. Ethical and cultural assumptions of free willrarely govern the behavior of societies or nations, let alone an entire species.

And although the planet may not shed a tear for the demise of technological civilization, hope on the individual scale for the moment is possible. Going through the black night of the soul, members of the species may be rewarded by the emergence of a conscious dignity devoid of illusions, grateful for the glimpse at the universe for which humans are privileged for the fleeting moment:

Having pushed a boulder up the mountain all day, turning toward the setting sun, we must consider Sisyphus happy.” (Albert Camus, The Myth of Sisyphus, 1942)

*

Note to readers: please click the share buttons above. Forward this article to your email lists. Crosspost on your blog site, internet forums. etc.

Dr Andrew Glikson, Earth and Paleo-climate science, Australia National University (ANU) School of Anthropology and Archaeology, ANU Planetary Science Institute, ANU Climate Change Institute, Honorary Associate Professor, Geothermal Energy Centre of Excellence, University of Queensland. He is a frequent contributor to Global Research.

The original source of this article is Global Research
Copyright © Dr. Andrew Glikson, Global Research, 2018
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This Glikson piece is overwrought, starting with the 'toxic carbon' and deteriorating from there. It is not of your caliber of thoughtful postings.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, etudiant said:

This Glikson piece is overwrought, starting with the 'toxic carbon' and deteriorating from there. It is not of your caliber of thoughtful postings.

 

It is quite toxic when evacuated in large amounts. Look no further than the tar sands industry in Canada and North America. Accordingly many drinking water sources are irreversibly contaminated by such industries among other 'toxic' effects. Air pollution will lower your life expectancy by as much as 20%.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Vice-Regent said:

It is quite toxic when evacuated in large amounts. Look no further than the tar sands industry in Canada and North America. Accordingly many drinking water sources are irreversibly contaminated by such industries among other 'toxic' effects. Air pollution will lower your life expectancy by as much as 20%.

co2 is NOT pollution.....carbon is NOT toxic to carbon based life forms........the author has ZERO science in their silly writing(calling carbon toxic is akin to claiming water is a deadly chemical)......too much at once can kill but that doesnt mean the substance is toxic.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Vice-Regent said:

It is quite toxic when evacuated in large amounts. Look no further than the tar sands industry in Canada and North America. Accordingly many drinking water sources are irreversibly contaminated by such industries among other 'toxic' effects. Air pollution will lower your life expectancy by as much as 20%.

I get what you're trying to say, but as stated it is just wrong.Carbon is not toxic, even ingested in large amounts. Neither is CO2, it is inert for mammalian metabolism, 

In fact, charcoal pills are still a routine standby for treating poisoning cases, because the carbon adsorbs the toxins and make them inaccessible to the body.

That said, carbon compounds can be very nasty indeed, Benzene derivatives make splendid dyes for fabrics, the byproducts are long lasting carcinogens.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, csnavywx said:

The difference between medicine and poison is often the dose.

So true, but for C or CO2, the dose is immaterial.

We could be eating charcoal and breathing in pure CO2, as long as we also got our wheaties and our oxygen, we'd survive. Calling them poison is just false.

It really damages the credibility of the commentator to put his/her name on stuff like that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, etudiant said:

So true, but for C or CO2, the dose is immaterial.

We could be eating charcoal and breathing in pure CO2, as long as we also got our wheaties and our oxygen, we'd survive. Calling them poison is just false.

It really damages the credibility of the commentator to put his/her name on stuff like that.

Common tactic used to discredit scientists. While I am not a scientist or academic I would wager that we live in dire times. I would wager my life savings.

Live in illusion if you want but don't blame anyone else for the end result.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Vice-Regent said:

Common tactic used to discredit scientists. While I am not a scientist or academic I would wager that we live in dire times. I would wager my life savings.

Live in illusion if you want but don't blame anyone else for the end result.

that person discredited them self by writing blatantly FALSE info and they are NOT a scientist........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/31/2018 at 5:05 PM, etudiant said:

I get what you're trying to say, but as stated it is just wrong.Carbon is not toxic, even ingested in large amounts. Neither is CO2, it is inert for mammalian metabolism, 

In fact, charcoal pills are still a routine standby for treating poisoning cases, because the carbon adsorbs the toxins and make them inaccessible to the body.

That said, carbon compounds can be very nasty indeed, Benzene derivatives make splendid dyes for fabrics, the byproducts are long lasting carcinogens.  

carbon isn't the toxic substance here- greedy corporations are.  They are now seizing private land to build their dirty pipelines, using police officers as paid mercenaries to do so.  at least we have banned fracking here and have a better environment for doing so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/31/2018 at 10:45 AM, Vice-Regent said:

It is quite toxic when evacuated in large amounts. Look no further than the tar sands industry in Canada and North America. Accordingly many drinking water sources are irreversibly contaminated by such industries among other 'toxic' effects. Air pollution will lower your life expectancy by as much as 20%.

The Tar Sands "industry" needs to be shut down- and so-called progressive Canada is to blame as much as Trump's decision to allow that stuff into our country.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/18/2019 at 1:02 PM, LibertyBell said:

The Tar Sands "industry" needs to be shut down- and so-called progressive Canada is to blame as much as Trump's decision to allow that stuff into our country.

 

Que the crimes against Earth becoming crimes against Humanity but only when it's far too late. I have concluded that climate change is not included in the umbrella of progressive causes. Why I am so adamant when criticizing democrats who have used this topic as an election platform.

Therefore doing even more damage by souring climate change by affiliating themselves with the problem without careing much about the dire implications.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So much Cow Flatulence, Seriously!!

When are you folks going to realize, YOU have been Had!

Here is a video, of a collection of News Articles & papers going on about "Climate" since the 1950's..

When I was growing up, the Alarmism then was Peak Oil..

The So-Called Greenhouse Gas Effect

The China syndrome..

The Population Bomb..

Oh well,,  We are all DOOMED,, Were ALL Going to Die!

Droughts, Blizzards, Hurricanes & Typhoons, Droughts & extreme Flooding, Because of the Earth COOLING 

Seriously!!

Watch this video... Use your BRAIN GUYS.. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 1:08 PM, Vice-Regent said:

Que the crimes against Earth becoming crimes against Humanity but only when it's far too late. I have concluded that climate change is not included in the umbrella of progressive causes. Why I am so adamant when criticizing democrats who have used this topic as an election platform.

Therefore doing even more damage by souring climate change by affiliating themselves with the problem without careing much about the dire implications.

Only "crimes" being committed are the Crimes against humanity, pushing a False agenda, RE: the Gol(BULL) Warming hoax.. @Vice-Regent, do Me just ONE lil favor.. Watch the ENTIRE video I posted above this post. Then, THINK for a few minutes, Then get back too us.. YOU even ADMIT your NOT a scientist or Academic. I wouldn't put My Life-Savings & "Faith" into Charlatans, that these So-called  folks calling themselves, "climate " scientists..

Follow the money..

Look I'm a "old guy".. I was once a idealistic, "save the Earth" person also, scared that "Were all gonna die"! In My teens & 20's, lead on by so-called "alarmists",, (Peak Oil),, only to find out it's a bunch of Horse $_____..... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, SENC said:

Only "crimes" being committed are the Crimes against humanity, pushing a False agenda, RE: the Gol(BULL) Warming hoax.. @Vice-Regent, do Me just ONE lil favor.. Watch the ENTIRE video I posted above this post. Then, THINK for a few minutes, Then get back too us.. YOU even ADMIT your NOT a scientist or Academic. I wouldn't put My Life-Savings & "Faith" into Charlatans, that these So-called  folks calling themselves, "climate " scientists..

Follow the money..

Look I'm a "old guy".. I was once a idealistic, "save the Earth" person also, scared that "Were all gonna die"! In My teens & 20's, lead on by so-called "alarmists",, (Peak Oil),, only to find out it's a bunch of Horse $_____..... 

Luke-warm democrats versus progressives and the fringe core of the remaining environmentalists. The former is big-monied up the you know what.

We need some sort of state change or paradign shift. I haven't seen any evidence of a subjective increase in quality of life.  You can conclude completely from the position of Sophism that most people lead unhappy and unfulfilling lives. This is all holistically built-in to the system such that climate change is one of many symptoms of the dysfunctional world order.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×