• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Medium/Long Range Discussion

nj2va

If you look on the bright side there are very few steps back that can be taken. The bad news we need 3 pairs of shoes to endure the number of steps forward it will take to snow again 
Yes sir. And we know how to navigate from rock bottom like no other area. Good to see that leesburg04 isnt the only troll here

Just now, Bob Chill said:

No, not all all. I might melt and troll the F out of this place tho and keep it up until it looks promising inside of a reasonable amount of lead time. So i guess i'm saying its time to prepare and dust off the ledge and pile up broken glass and rusty  nails in the landing area. 

lol I don't know why but that's exactly where I am emotionally.  I still think a pattern change is coming. Sometime later this month. But it's still been exceptionally awful and I'm as frustrated by that as everyone else. 

Maybe its the optimist in me, but unless I’m reading it wrong, I don’t think the GEFS is terrible especially as we get to mid month.  -NAO, -AO, +PNA.  Aluetian low.  Need the trough off the west coast to move west I’d think (?).  Missing a trough over the east too.  It’s not a KU look but certainly not a shutout pattern.  I could be way off though so I’ll defer to Bob, PSU, etc.  

7 minutes ago, Ji said:
14 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:
If you look on the bright side there are very few steps back that can be taken. The bad news we need 3 pairs of shoes to endure the number of steps forward it will take to snow again 

Yes sir. And we know how to navigate from rock bottom like no other area. Good to see that leesburg04 isnt the only troll here

Hey!! :poster_stupid:

4 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Maybe its the optimist in me, but unless I’m reading it wrong, I don’t think the GEFS is terrible especially as we get to mid month.  -NAO, -AO, +PNA.  Aluetian low.  Need the trough off the west coast to move west I’d think (?).  Missing a trough over the east too.  It’s not a KU look but certainly not a shutout pattern.  I could be way off though so I’ll defer to Bob, PSU, etc.  

It's a frustrating look. Globally the longwave pattern SHOULD promote a trough in the eastern US. But it's been like that for several days and now really progressing towards an eastern trough despite every major telleconnection being right. 

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

It's a frustrating look. Globally the longwave pattern SHOULD promote a trough in the eastern US. But it's been like that for several days and now really progressing towards an eastern trough despite every major telleconnection being right. 

Sure is frustrating.  I wonder if its the MJO driving the lack of the trough in the east?  Get it to Phase 8 and we’d see the heights respond along the EC?  It seems the SOI and MJO are the story of winter so far.  

Sure is frustrating.  I wonder if its the MJO driving the lack of the trough in the east?  Get it to Phase 8 and we’d see the heights respond along the EC?  It seems the SOI and MJO are the story of winter so far.  
What is phase 8 is cod and short?

1 minute ago, nj2va said:

Dont worry, once we get to phase 8 there will be some freak kelvin torque hadly wave combined with a southerly wind burst that torches us

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

So the MJO is the sole reason for this?

2 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

No by day 16 on the gfs the mjo is into phase 7 which in January isn't that hostile.  The Pacific doesn't get right until the last couple days. Perhaps it needs more time to influence the longwave pattern downstream. Or there is another culprit. 

23 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

To be frank, I don't feel as if I have a handle on why anything is happening.  Models are flipping every run with violently opposed solutions.  Showing up with 500 hPa anomalies which seem physically impossible given the teleconnections.  The PV is doing the chachacha and no one knows where it will end up, maybe back at the north pole, maybe in Ji's basement.  MJO behaving like it's in a Nina.

A persistence forecast maybe the only reasonable approach: it will be mild and wet until it isn't.  

34 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I think in our case, even though we do not like it , we may end up just having to wait a little longer. ( no,  not two weeks longer ) 

If it were not for the favorable tendencies in the late Fall,  the big negative AO dive, SAI and snow cover depth I say I be worried. Cold air winning out , etc. 

By the nature of many of the past analogs I am stil confident we get some nasty winter weather.

Where we go late Jan and Feb I dont even think there is a analog for that now , I see 2013 and other dates, but based on the SSWE combined with the weak Modaki El Nino we are in somewhat uncharted waters.     

Hopefully we see continued positive trends in the next 3 to 7 days regarding greater high lattitude blocking, and more concensus for a negative AO and NAO and a change in the NAM. I think for the AO and NAO we are already seeing that in some of the guideance. 

All in all I feel this delay may help in extending winter , and / or openning the door to a more severe winter period. Speculation of course. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic
  • WxUSAF locked this topic