Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Medium/Long Range Discussion

nj2va

20 minutes ago, Snowstorm5921 said:

Yes I’m such a bad poster but everyone is looking at 0” of snow the last 2 months...not sure why everyone is acting like we’re guaranteed to get slammed going forward.  GFS and Euro are in good agreement of the 20th being a cutter, and why go against persistence?  A PV in central Canada is a bad look for east coast snow, period.  It forces early phases.  Hope it’s wrong but i wouldn’t be surprised to see ensembles shift in that direction if that PV placement is correct.

So now you are counting all of November and early December as our snow season? Ok...…..

21 minutes ago, Snowstorm5921 said:

Yes I’m such a bad poster but everyone is looking at 0” of snow the last 2 months...not sure why everyone is acting like we’re guaranteed to get slammed going forward.  GFS and Euro are in good agreement of the 20th being a cutter, and why go against persistence?  A PV in central Canada is a bad look for east coast snow, period.  It forces early phases.  Hope it’s wrong but i wouldn’t be surprised to see ensembles shift in that direction if that PV placement is correct.

Nobody is "acting like we're guaranteed to get slammed" - You really should post a little less. you're contributing almost nothing to the discussion at this point. 

The 20th is 9 days away. Glad that because the GFS and Euro show something similar it's locked in to be a cutter. If you're so sure that we are cooked for the 20th - why don't you just stop posting until the next threat pops in. There's nothing wrong with discussion - but if you're just going to pollute threads with crap don't post at all. 

Ever wonder why you rarely see me in threads during the winter until it's the obs thread? Because I know I don't have much to add and I'd just clutter the threads. A high post count doesn't make for a smarter poster. Don't go for quantity over quality...

I get it - we've all been there before. I was weenie tagged in the EUSWX days. Just take a step back...

ETA: you aren't even in the right subforum...if you're going to come into a subforum outside of your region...you need to at least be courteous of the other members. I don't come derail discussions in the PA forums. 

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, Snowstorm5921 said:

Not saying that, just saying the setup for the 20th isn’t looking as favorable at the moment.  Plenty of time for changes though.

Perhaps it would be better to just leave things open like that when you post (especially about something 9-10 days away) as suppose to getting down in the dumps with every unfavorable run--I know a bad image on any model can play to our subconscious fears/frustrations of "missing", but...try to keep a broader perspective, my friend! 

Just now, Snowstorm5921 said:

Sure, the ensembles paint a prettier picture which is to be expected this far out.  All I’m saying is if the PV location is in central Canada, it’s going to be tough to snow.  Have to hope that’s wrong.

Wut...

That's now how that works. The ensembles are run with each member having slightly varied initial conditions. The ensembles don't automatically paint a better picture. 

Okay - I'm done. Thread can go back to normal programming. 

Just now, Snowstorm5921 said:

Sure, the ensembles paint a prettier picture which is to be expected this far out.  All I’m saying is if the PV location is in central Canada, it’s going to be tough to snow.  Have to hope that’s wrong.

You don't make a lot of sense.  So if you want to keep posting, I suggest you provide some meteorological support to your posts or I can start hiding all of them.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, Snowstorm5921 said:

By the end of this weekend many in this forum will be about where they should be (or better) for climo to this date and with an epic looking pattern ahead during our best snowfall climo part of the year.  So your main point always seems to be "but we could fail".  Really...thanks for that captain obvious.  How bout we wait until we DO FAIL before we ruin our day and deb about it.   Go back under whatever rock you crawled out of.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, WxUSAF said:

You don't make a lot of sense.  So if you want to keep posting, I suggest you provide some meteorological support to your posts or I can start hiding all of them.  

He lives way up in PA... northwest of Philly near Allentown.  Not really close to our CWA

1 minute ago, WxUSAF said:

I’m not sure what’s not making sense.  The ensembles arent going to lock on to where the PV is going to park 10 days out, so of course they will look better than an op run with it sitting in literally the most unfavorable spot.  

1 minute ago, Snowstorm5921 said:

I’m not sure what’s not making sense.  The ensembles arent going to lock on to where the PV is going to park 10 days out, so of course they will look better than an op run with it sitting in literally the most unfavorable spot.  

Well, neither is the OP at day 10.  Little early to be fretting over the exact placement of such features.

2 minutes ago, Snowstorm5921 said:

Ok Chief.  

Just now, EastCoast NPZ said:

Well, neither is the OP at day 10.  Little early to be fretting over the exact placement of such features.

I’m just pointing out the concern.  It’s definitely the best chance so far this year for a warning level event but given how things have transpired thus far it’s hard not to worry about what could go wrong.

3 minutes ago, Snowstorm5921 said:

So you think it's a good idea to prefer the operational over the ensembles at day 8-9.  Good to know.  

Truth is it COULD cut...that option is very much on the table, so is OTS, and your point about the PV location (although not all guidance agrees) is valid, BUT we all know that.  No one thinks that threat is a lock.  And the fact is you never have anything good to say, even in the face of some of the best runs in years you will pop up to say "but that might not happen" or "we will fail anyways".  So nothing you say has any cred since all you ever do is pop in to say something negative no matter what the guidance actually looks like.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, yoda said:

He lives way up in PA... northwest of Philly near Allentown.  Not really close to our CWA

He keeps bringing up persistence when we are in the second winter season in a row that featured about as extreme a pattern flip as you will ever see...and in his case it lead to 40" in March last year.  

38 minutes ago, Snowstorm5921 said:

I’m just pointing out the concern.  It’s definitely the best chance so far this year for a warning level event but given how things have transpired thus far it’s hard not to worry about what could go wrong.

You do realize that he is a professional meteorologist. If you want to butt heads with somebody - probably going to lose that battle going up against a red tagger and people like psuhoffman and Bob Chill. Yes...we can fail. Glad you're taking the ops and claiming "persistence" - the fact is we have a snowfall enroute for this weekend...that alone has broken your persistence theory. 

• Like 1

Today's GFS run shows improvement in the areas of higher heights moving onto Greenland as we near Jan 18 th, an improved look out West with a - EPO and West Coast ridging.

Reading yesterday the NAO being forecasted for days 8 to 10 might trend more negative, and today the GFS does show that.     

Say what you want about SSWE Voodoo  @poolz1 , hey just kidding, but it seems the downwell is modeled in more and more. Maybe that explains as you move out in time modeling will correct to greater blocking. ( Saw it today on the GFS ) Even move the time frame of the extreme looks of mid Feb to early Feb or even late Jan.   

• Like 1

First post.  I enjoy reading, but believe I have seen everyone get too emotional from time to time.  As a native Marylander for 51 years, I would tell everyone to appreciate the snow we do get....we have gone through too many winters when there is nothing to track.  From my hobbyist eye, at least we are in the game over the next month or so.  (Referencing EURO weeklies, the AO, NAO, EPO, etc. for anyone wondering where I am coming from) so enjoy the ride.  I plan to really enjoy my 2-4 inches tomorrow (yes, I know wrong thread.)  Will make about 9 for Brunswick so far this year.  PEACE.

• Like 1

12z gefs pretty unanimous with a strong storm signal d8-10. The faster solutions are mostly rain and the slower ones are either mixed or all snow. Timing appears to be key here. Some solutions have multiple waves as well. We're in shotgun mode with large spread so there's just no way to know how it will shake out yet. 

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic
  • WxUSAF locked this topic