Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Medium/Long Range Discussion

nj2va

2 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Seems that the weeklies/seasonal forecasts for end of January into February will be right based on what we're seeing show up now on the LR ensembles.  WOOF.

It’s crazy. 10 days ago i was punting until the last week of January. Now we are on the board in a big way.  More to track in the medium range and the long range looks dare i say Epic. An amazing turnaround

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Seems that the weeklies/seasonal forecasts for end of January into February will be right based on what we're seeing show up now on the LR ensembles.  WOOF.

GEFS d15 (and EPS) are money. Ensembles have done well through d10 lately but have struggled d10-15. If the timing of the WAR moving over and parking in the NAO domain is right then there will be a lot of HECS solutions for Ji to look at in private. Hopefully in 5 days the EPS and GEFS look the same d10 as they do now at d15. I'm sorta expecting a delay at this point but that's a total guess based on nothing more than long range ens rushing things. OTOH- ens were too slow to pick up on the flip and storm this past weekend so maybe they are too slow. As long as the transition completes in January we're looking rock solid for Feb. 

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

I used a chisel and hammer to remove ice from around the tires and a rubber mallet to bash the super thick ice off my hood and trunk so I could get the heck out :lmao:. It was simply incredibly hard and ice didn't melt for 6 weeks. 

I saw chunks of ice sitting the gutters on Capitol Hill still not fully melted *in late April.*

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

GEFS d15 (and EPS) are money. Ensembles have done well through d10 lately but have struggled d10-15. If the timing of the WAR moving over and parking in the NAO domain is right then there will be a lot of HECS solutions for Ji to look at in private. Hopefully in 5 days the EPS and GEFS look the same d10 as they do now at d15. I'm sorta expecting a delay at this point but that's a total guess based on nothing more than long range ens rushing things. OTOH- ens were too slow to pick up on the flip and storm this past weekend so maybe they are too slow. As long as the transition completes in January we're looking rock solid for Feb. 

So even if we miss out on next weekend's mega storm, we have more snow to look forward to at the end of January?  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

If you like cold rain, sure.

Yeah. If you are gonna take the run verbatim. I mean, I dont know about you, but i will take LP's running under us in January any time. And that is all I am seeing with the run. Ptype issues at long range are a joke. But you know that.

• Like 2

Just now, snowmagnet said:

So even if we miss out on next weekend's mega storm, we have more snow to look forward to at the end of January?  

We're in a transition phase with plenty of cold lurking around to our north so it's safe to say that any shortwave over the next 10 days could produce.  Fast progressive flow and a WAR makes it dicey but not impossible. Mid range range rain can be short range snow and vice versa. The short story is it will be busy in here for the next 10 days even though the really good blocked/suppressed pattern hasn't started. If the the neg nao does verify and doesn't get pushed back in time (or never happen) then yes, late Jan has a lot of potential but still subject to chaos and luck. We'll just need less good luck than usual.  

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Agree. I saw some h5 plots for an early Jan storm in 94 and it was remarkably close to what is being shown this weekend. I don't think 94 is a good analog as a seasonal just for this weekend's specific threat. We're probably going to have to wait until the thurs/fri shortwave is nailed down before we can have confidence in the weekend. I'm only favoring more wet than white or ice because of the ridging. It's a good general rule of thumb...with a lot of exceptions. 

The next 2 weeks reminds me of 94 for sure. But you adjust the boundary 50 miles south and 94 would have been great and that is an insignificant change in an overall sense. I agree the pattern favors to our NW but I could see how it works out. But after that is when things really look good. 

44 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Agree. I saw some h5 plots for an early Jan storm in 94 and it was remarkably close to what is being shown this weekend. I don't think 94 is a good analog as a seasonal just for this weekend's specific threat. We're probably going to have to wait until the thurs/fri shortwave is nailed down before we can have confidence in the weekend. I'm only favoring more wet than white or ice because of the ridging. It's a good general rule of thumb...with a lot of exceptions. 

LOL.  Many rules seem to have that disclaimer in this sport.

15 hours ago, frd said:

I love exciting winter weather, but last winter we lost 1/3 of the tops of both of our rather tall scott pines and one more significant ice event would be the end. 

Wish when we first moved here many years ago I considered outcomes like this. I planted too many trees because our home is on an old farm field and I longed for trees and shade, years later, my view on things has changed. 

Anyways, I hope snow or rain, even sleet, but please no ice storm.      

I lost two of my tall arborvitae trees at the end of the driveway to last March's incredible wind storm but nothing to snow or ice.  I know what you mean about over planting of trees.  I kind of did that when I first moved out here 26 years ago.  I have spent 10X the money having trees removed that were encroaching on the house in an unsafe way than I did planting them.

28 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

This is based on nothing more than gut/weenie feeling but this year's pattern change seems different than how things normally go (LR rushes things, we step down for weeks) and I think the D15 looks continue to move forward in time.  Weeklies have been so consistent with that look taking hold late Jan so there's that too.

1 minute ago, stormtracker said:

I'm using crappy graphics, but I'm pretty sure the Euro is a rainer

Yea, not good but throws a wrinkle with stringing out the system. Trailing piece works a little. Makes you contemplate the front running stuff moving faster and dragging the boundary for the trailer. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Yea, not good but throws a wrinkle with stringing out the system. Trailing piece works a little. Makes you contemplate the front running stuff moving faster and dragging the boundary for the trailer. 

What happens with the trailing piece, if much of anything?  There were various ops and individual ensemble solutions recently that showed a similar kind of idea, kind of interesting.  That cold air moves in like a boss.

(ETA: :ph34r:'d by WxUSAF!!)

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic
  • WxUSAF locked this topic