Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Medium/Long Range Discussion

nj2va

9 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

Man I wish I had been able to fully enjoy this event but I was puking my brains out all night. Still it was awesome to see this much snow for my first time ever!

Yeah my wife has the flu and one of my kids has been sick so I've gotten no sleep lately so I didn't really get to enjoy this either. Timing wasn't great with the best stuff hitting overnight. I usually would have stayed up or at the very least woken up a bunch to check it out, but I was so tired I couldn't even bother to get up and look. It's a shame you missed out on this one, but much better storms are to come. I hope we get a 2016 or 2010 redux. That will blow you away. And hopefully those you will get to see some of the better snow during daylight. I'll never forget the CCB action I had for several hours in the afternoon at the end of the 2016 blizzard. It was epic.

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Euro has a worse track and warmer in the mids next weekend. Sig ice potential increasing and some snow before the flip if the track holds. Areas north of here are going to get hit pretty good. Much more temp wiggle room. 

637C1615-6852-430B-B672-E345FD1BC197.jpeg

Yikes. But some of that is sleet.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jaydreb said:

These things always trend south.  ;)

Idk, Normally when you have a wave this strong around N Texas and a HP that has to chase and rush in I would tend to like the chances for interior locations...Could be my first chase in a while if I can afford it because I do think someone in the all-snow portion of this storm will see over 2 feet easy. This baby is probably going to have a lot of wind too, look at all those isobars. 

1 minute ago, Wentzadelphia said:

Idk, Normally when you have a wave this strong around N Texas and a HP that has to chase and rush in I would tend to like the chances for interior locations...Could be my first chase in a while if I can afford it because I do think someone in the all-snow portion of this storm will see over 2 feet easy. This baby is probably going to have a lot of wind too, look at all those isobars. 

Yea, it's not a good h5 pattern for a snowstorm along the coast. Especially in the mid atlantic. Need the tpv to be a perfectly positioned mobile "block" to work this far south. Within the realm but very unlikely. 

3 minutes ago, nj2va said:

I don’t think 95 and the coastal plain stay all white in this storm; the setup and evolution suggests this is an interior special.  But snow to ice/mix/rain back to snow would make sense.  

It's the EURO vs GFS, the British, the CMC and the ICON model right now. Don't think we know that yet.

5 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Yea, it's not a good h5 pattern for a snowstorm along the coast. Especially in the mid atlantic. Need the tpv to be a perfectly positioned mobile "block" to work this far south. Within the realm but very unlikely. 

Maybe this is just the step down that you you have mentioned many times, perhaps just a little colder and more entertaining than you had envisioned it?

Just now, snowmagnet said:

What are the various ensembles indicating at this point? 

Big spread but majority are mixed or mostly rain. It's likely that a big storm is on tap and models will lock into the general track fairly early. We'll know if we're in or out of the game by tues/wed

Just now, cbmclean said:

Maybe this is just the step down that you you have mentioned many times, perhaps just a little colder and more entertaining than you had envisioned it?

The good blocking isn't progged to develop for another 2 weeks. Enough cold around to keep things interesting but with unblocked progressive flow it's wise to not expect any clean snowstorms until later in the month. The stronger the storm the higher the odds for mixed or rain

Pretty incredible south-based -NAO setting up in the medium range, +400dm off the coast of New Foundland. The +PNA/-EPO Pacific and -AO following are just noise from this main feature, I think. You can see how it's a mostly OP GFS signal (the noise that follows). The main feature is +AAM, I think (circulation of Earth). 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic
  • WxUSAF locked this topic