Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Medium/Long Range Discussion

nj2va

8 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

It fits. And not like its out of nowhere. The weeklies have been very good/great for many runs now. Last 2 are in the epic category.

Plus, they have other model support as well, and fits the HL pattern due to the SSWE.     

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hoth said:

60"+ up here Jan '11, my second best 30 day period after ~100" Feb '15 in Boston. The weeklies remind me a lot of those periods. Hope Jebman has his shovel ready down there.

10-11 isnt fondly remembered here... lol. After the boxing day heartbreaker we got one solid event in Jan then winter was over. It was a nina so not going to worry much. Active southern stream this year should continue to feature miller A's and hybrids. Those are our "money" events. Although good blocking can save our area with miller b's

2 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

We did have a legit -NAO in Jan 2016, but it was short lived. Good enough to get us a KU.

That was a weird neg nao. Def legit but bootleg in nature. I think jan/feb 2012 had a good neg nao but everything else sucked worse than chucks posts so nobody remembers

• Haha 6

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

10-11 isnt fondly remembered here... lol. After the boxing day heartbreaker we got one solid event in Jan then winter was over. It was a nina so not going to worry much. Active southern stream this year should continue to feature miller A's and hybrids. Those are our "money" events. Although good blocking can save our area with miller b's

I know Boxing Day was a disaster down there, but believe or not it was much hated up here in CT too. Wound up with 6" of wind-shredded baking powder while NY suburbs jacked 30". Eff that storm. I think we'll all be money at some point in the next three weeks.

9 minutes ago, Hoth said:

I know Boxing Day was a disaster down there, but believe or not it was much hated up here in CT too. Wound up with 6" of wind-shredded baking powder while NY suburbs jacked 30". Eff that storm. I think we'll all be money at some point in the next three weeks.

It's been a long time since the MA through SNE had a great stretch at the same time. JFM 2014 had a nice string of events but progressive flow kept qpf shields really small. Feb 2014 was a weird event and that was the biggest down here but iirc the low occluded early and screwed things up for you guys.

Blocked long track coastals would be a lot of fun. I prefer when everyone gets snow as long as i get the most. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

It's been a long time since the MA through SNE had a great stretch at the same time. JFM 2014 had a nice string of events but progressive flow kept qpf shields really small. Feb 2014 was a weird event and that was the biggest down here but iirc the low occluded early and screwed things up for you guys.

Blocked long track coastals would be a lot of fun. I prefer when everyone gets snow as long as i get the most. 

How'd you do 1/27/11? That wound up being a nice surprise event up here through Boston. Yeah the general experience has been either MA crushing with strong confluence and suppression depression up here, or late developing Miller B's that smoke CT river east and leave y'all dry. Would have no qualms about everybody getting the goods. Better NESIS rating. 

22 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

That was a weird neg nao. Def legit but bootleg in nature. I think jan/feb 2012 had a good neg nao but everything else sucked worse than chucks posts so nobody remembers

It was fairly brief, but man it was stout. And west based IIRC. Bootleg to me is when there is a transient ridge that pops in the NAO domain but is not persistent at all. Kinda just moving through. If we see +height anomalies around GL or Davis Strait that persist for a week or more, I would say its an actual block.

1 minute ago, Hoth said:

How'd you do 1/27/11? That wound up being a nice surprise event up here through Boston. Yeah the general experience has been either MA crushing with strong confluence and suppression depression up here, or late developing Miller B's that smoke CT river east and leave y'all dry. Would have no qualms about everybody getting the goods. Better NESIS rating. 

That was our only good event. It was above freezing before and during the heavy stuff but it came down so hard it didnt matter. Even had a period of thundersnow. I got about 10" iirc but further north in MD got up to 15". If it wasnt for that storm the winter would have been an epic disaster though. That was the only real event of the whole season. 

Daily NAO indices for March 2018 (Negative values in bold)

2018  3  1 -1.719
2018  3  2 -1.372
2018  3  3 -1.218
2018  3  4 -0.851
2018  3  5 -0.736
2018  3  6 -0.697
2018  3  7 -0.636
2018  3  8 -0.686
2018  3  9 -0.687
2018  3 10 -0.411
2018  3 11 -0.200
2018  3 12 -0.068
2018  3 13 -0.016
2018  3 14 -0.060
2018  3 15 -0.321
2018  3 16 -0.602
2018  3 17 -0.707
2018  3 18 -0.889
2018  3 19 -0.955
2018  3 20 -0.676
2018  3 21 -0.293

2018  3 22  0.315
2018  3 23  0.539
2018  3 24  0.245
2018  3 25 -0.046
2018  3 26  0.038
2018  3 27  0.300
2018  3 28  0.130
2018  3 29 -0.074

2018  3 30 -0.111
2018  3 31 -0.154

Our last extended(ish) period of a generally -NAO was in March... And though it was only for a month, it did deliver.

For the time being, it's nice to have a threat to track—regardless of whether or not it works out. It takes away some of the pain of this generally putrid pattern we've been stuck in:frostymelt:

While we've been looking two weeks ahead for these past two months, we can certainly hope that our "fabled" February is going to make an appearance ... soon!

Just now, Bob Chill said:

@ji

Whatever you do... don't look at the snow output for the weeklies control run. It went from over 3 feet to less than 3". Uh oh

Seems right..epic cold and blocking doesn’t mean epic snow.  I bet RIC beats IAD this winter in snowfall.  Just a hunch.  They are off to a good start.  

8 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

It's like it is everyone's mission to give Ji a heart attack....leave the poor guy alone.

Yea, i'll have to find someone else to stress out. Who's that guy you keep bringing up who went on record in a newspaper for a big winter? Maybe i'll troll him and leave Ji alone. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

I was just thinking the same thing. I think a lot of people didn’t want to see snow after sitting in 10 hours of traffic in Commutageddon, but snow lovers weren’t happy with 1 storm. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic
  • WxUSAF locked this topic