Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January Medium/Long Range Discussion

nj2va

18 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Icon is basically a perfect h5 evolution... This would be a warning level event

icon_z500_vort_us_61.png

icon_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_60.png

Will that 1040 HP over NE stay in place long enough to allow the second L in the GOM to ride up the front and give us a double whammy?   Probably wishful thinking, but the 540 line appears to show the cold flow down from the GL.  And at the risk of being greedy, any chance of a phase?  Seem to recall we often get scenarios when the first wave loads things up for the second wave to bomb out. Not saying that's gonna happen in this case, but some of the variables appear to be there (edit - STJ with fetch over Mexico, deepening trough over the Mississippi).  

6 minutes ago, RDM said:

Will that 1040 HP over NE stay in place long enough to allow the second L in the GOM to ride up the front and give us a double whammy?   Probably wishful thinking, but the 540 line appears to show the cold flow down from the GL.  And at the risk of being greedy, any chance of a phase?  Seem to recall we often get scenarios when the first wave loads things up for the second wave to bomb out. Not saying that's gonna happen in this case, but some of the variables appear to be there (edit - STJ with fetch over Mexico, deepening trough over the Mississippi).  

The one near the gulf is going to die off and its going to crank off the carolinas. You can see it in the isobars. The only thing left is to close off h5 just south of us but we're getting ahead of ourselves. Lol

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Icon is basically a perfect h5 evolution... This would be a warning level event

icon_z500_vort_us_61.png

I need some weenie education.

So in the figure above I see the 540 dm geopotential height line almost completely in Canada.  I know that the 540 dm 1000 - 500 thickness line is generally considered the "baseline" rain snow line.

So I do not understand why the geopotential height is ever very different from the 1000 - 500 thickness.  Isn't 1000 hPa basically the surface?  So wouldn't the thickness between 1000 hPa and 500 hPA be about the same as the height of the 500 hPa geopotential surface?  I am obviously missing something but I am not sure what. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic
  • WxUSAF locked this topic