Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Medium/Long Range Discussion

nj2va

5 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Certainly have been some more encouraging signs in the last 48 hours, but I'd strongly caution against spiking the football.  Any snow before the last week-10 days of the month is probably bonus. At this point I'd like to see continued in stability in the ensemble systems forecasting a pattern change +/- the 15th and no signs that it turns into a 2-3 day transitory "good" pattern that's immediately flushed back out by Pac garbage.  If things are still stable and looking good beyond the end of the forecast range in 5-7 more days, I think we can start expecting some legit winter.   

Man...go ahead

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

LOL I don't predict long range clown maps. I predict seasons and storms.

We'll see.

We will certainly will see Ray.

Regardless of the snow amounts forecasted by the Euro,  it is still gratifying to many to witness cold storms modeled after the recent despair.

It is interesting to see the transition to colder / stormier modeled very close to your suggested date of Jan 15 th.  I never lost hope.

The progression moving forward will be fascinating to monitor.    

I hope we all cash in.   

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, frd said:

We will certainly will see Ray.

Regardless of the snow amounts forecasted by the Euro,  it is still gratifying to many to witness cold storms modeled after the recent despair.

It is interesting to see the transition to colder / stormier modeled very close to your suggested date of Jan 15 th.  I never lost hope.

The progression moving forward will be fascinating to monitor.    

I hope we all cash in.   

My prime KU window is 1/20 to 2/20....thinking 2 dropping fairly widespread 20"+ .

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

My prime KU window is 1/20 to 2/20....thinking 2 dropping fairly widespread 20"+ .

Ray, if you can comment, just wondering about this......will there be a point later this month, or in early Feb.,  where you may have new data / insights for this coming March? 

I believe I skimmed a post you made here last night ( maybe to @psuhoffman ) where you stated the nature of the ongoing  SSWE event may extend our oppurtunities into March this year?  

Thanks 

7 hours ago, frd said:

Fascinating here. I believe the reversal a while back was not forecasted this low.

This is a new interim record for the date for 10 hPa60N 

We are also ahead of 1985 @Isotherm  Tom mentioned 1985 in a few posts a couple days back. Lined up with his mention of this timeframe. 

It also appears more warming is on the way. 

The strat. vortex is currently weaker than all other years in the ERA interim record!!! The zonal mean zonal wind at 10 hPa 60N is today (GFS analysis): -9.2 m/s Weakest zonal wind at 10 hPa 60N in ERA interim record for todays date is: -7.0 m/s 1985

Yes, @frd -- NAM diminution 1 week from SPV-split on track, as well as nascent -NAO, and more felicitous EPO/PNA domain as a function of propagating tropical forcing; ERW contamination finally decreases w/ MJO coherency uptick into phase 8 over the next several days. Good to see model data reaching concordance on the reality of tropospheric alterations today, and I think it's ostensible that the GEFS had the upper hand w/ respect to the detection phase [this was expected due to MJO disparities].

All in all, the winter outlook is still on the table.

And yes, I'm not sure if I posted this here, but below is the NYC data for December 1984 and January 1985. The SPV-split [EQBO] occurred January 2nd, 1985. The temperature reversal really intensified January 8th+. Will be similar this year.

2pqkgzt.png

314ujpl.png

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Isotherm said:

Good to see model data reaching concordance on the reality of tropospheric alterations today, and I think it's ostensible that the GEFS had the upper hand w/ respect to the detection phase [this was expected due to MJO disparities].

All in all, the winter outlook is still on the table.

Thanks Tom for the update.  

1 hour ago, AfewUniversesBelowNormal said:

This is awesome, I've been watching that pond ridge north of Alaska pop up on the last few runs.. we could go back to strong -AO

Yes sir. That map is gorgeous. And if we can get to that -AO we are golden. And it would stick around for a while as well. I cant believe the change in the models over the past 3 days. Crazy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dallen7908 said:

CPC on board for transition to colder than average pattern and wintry precipitation for mid-Atlantic (week 3-4 discussion lead by S. Baxter)

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/WK34/

Yeah, but about 10days ago they were also projecting much more cold for Jan 7th thru the 18th. Guess that ain't happenin'

1 hour ago, ravensrule said:

You will be measuring snowstorms without your ruler shortly. Hang in there. 

Damn. So he’ll have to be measuring storms 2” at time? See what I did there? If you don’t get it....you don’t get it. LOLz. Happy Friday happy hour!! Good grief. Bartender. Check please!

The d9 deal is really complicated. Huge spread in the eps with how multiple shortwaves progress at the same time. Nothing any op model shows is anything more than being inside the spread. Euro op phased things late. 18z gfs keeps the northern stream shortwave fairly strong and dominent. Expect many twists and turns. Could be a huge storm somehwere or could be a total non event everywhere. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

The d9 deal is really complicated. Huge spread in the eps with how multiple shortwaves progress at the same time. Nothing any op model shows is anything more than being inside the spread. Euro op phased things late. 18z gfs keeps the northern stream shortwave fairly strong and dominent. Expect many twists and turns. Could be a huge storm somehwere or could be a total non event everywhere. 

More looks like a s/w on steriods at 216 lol... which is also too bad since there is a nice ridge right where we want it if we are looking for snow

Just now, yoda said:

More looks like a s/w on steriods at 216 lol

Yea, heavy on the northern stream doesnt work well in these parts. Euro blew up the southern shortwave. Eps shows more than the kitchen sink. This one will end up feeling like tracking multiple events by the time its figured out. It's all we got tho so may as well overanalyze it

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, yoda said:

More looks like a s/w on steriods at 216 lol... which is also too bad since there is a nice ridge right where we want it if we are looking for snow

Look how far it has come since 6z.  I would say more than a few ticks improved.  Might be nothing.  

Yea, heavy on the northern stream doesnt work well in these parts. Euro blew up the southern shortwave. Eps shows more than the kitchen sink. This one will end up feeling like tracking multiple events by the time its figured out. It's all we got tho so may as well overanalyze it
Gfs still gets us nasty frozen mix which was your goal
  • Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic
  • WxUSAF locked this topic