Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January Medium/Long Range Discussion

nj2va

14 minutes ago, yoda said:

Super Yuck

That look is nothing new. EPS is incrementally progressing towards a more serviceable pattern, but it wont be until beyond the 20th if recent runs are correct. I suspect odds are the GEFS will cave somewhat to the EPS, rather than the EPS speeding up the progression to a better pattern. But yeah, its going to be a while yet.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Sometimes I feel like I need that little orphan Annie decoder from A Christmas Story to read his posts...but over the years in my quest to research and decode his posts I have learned a ton about things I didn't even know I didn't know.  

BE SURE TO DRINK YOUR OVALTINE

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Last March I was forecasted to get 3-6" as a storm was already underway and got less than in inch  lol

I forget, was that not the time Dewey Beach scored again?  I thought there were several high impact beach events last year and durig the past last few years in general.  

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

That's why we need to get something going over the next 8 weeks. It's too easy in Mar for storms to find a way to screw everything up. 

Agreed but one thing that gives me hope is even if the speculation of a Nina lag and muted nino is  correct we are essentially sitting at exactly the same spot we were around Feb 15 last year.  A major Sswe combined with a mjo entering cold phases. And after the typical 2 week lag we got the great pattern in march. But it was too late. We got several very legit threats and hit one and got a minor glancing blow from another. 

But we are way ahead of the game this time. Even if the flip doesn't get right until around Feb 1 we probably do ok if the idea of epo and nao blocking is right. People can poo poo late snow all they want but if we get a favorable pattern for all of Feb and maybe into March we should get some hits.  That's still prime climo. Especially with nao blocking which correlates here even more later in season as wavelengths shorten. 

Interesting adjustment on the 12z vs 6z gfs op irt next week. Pumping a big ridge out west, strengthening the neg nao, energy coming much farther south. If these adjustments continue wont be too long til we have energy coming south of us ala 0z euro control.

Eta: cant add trend gif attm due to attachments maxed out sorry dont have time to delete stuff right now.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

But we are way ahead of the game this time. Even if the flip doesn't get right until around Feb 1 we probably do ok if the idea of epo and nao blocking is right. People can poo poo late snow all they want but if we get a favorable pattern for all of Feb and maybe into March we should get some hits.  That's still prime climo. Especially with nao blocking which correlates here even more later in season as wavelengths shorten. 

This is one reason I think the odds of colder risks for March are higher, and I have seen snow on the ground in March with temps in the teens , March can be bad. Sun angle or no snow angle.  

3 minutes ago, frd said:

I forget, was that not the time Dewey Beach scored again?  I thought there were several high impact beach events last year and durig the past last few years in general.  

No it was the miller b hybrid that crushed NJ in early March. The day before all the guidance shifted the deform banding west and crushed northeast MD pretty good. It was universal. From the euro to gfs and nam they all had my area in about .7-1" qpf that night. Then when 0z came in everything shifted 50 miles northeast and I got fringed.  Miller b storms are like that. Because they develop late and explosively it's very volatile and leads to more busts then other types. Not all bad. We have had some noteworthy good busts with miller b storms. Feb 10, 2010...One of the Feb 1996 storms was a surprise miller b that was supposed to hit NJ and crushed us with 8-12". 

4 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Interesting adjustment on the 12z vs 6z gfs op irt next week. Pumping a big ridge out west, strengthening the neg nao, energy coming much farther south. If these adjustments continue wont be too long til we have energy coming south of us ala 0z euro control.

Eta: cant add trend gif attm due to attachments maxed out sorry dont have time to delete stuff right now.

looks good. LP has dropped south the the US/Can Border

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_25.png

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, frd said:

Very interested in today's EPS to see whether there are continued positive trends here. 

Blocking events are notorious for not being modeled well even in the med range. GEFS does decent up until d7 but falls apart with verification d7+

All the pieces required are there.... weak/split/warm SPV, no tendencies for a strong +AO/NAO, nino climo, etc. Will it happen? I do think blocking is on the way and will probably hang around for awhile. Models aren't going to do well with the front side of the change. If/when the AO goes negative in the short range or real time we'll probably start seeing a lot of good things going forward.

We really need it to happen this month though because it's pretty normal for the MA to fail during the front side of a blocking event. If it gets started too late the clock doesn't have enough hours left to stage a big comeback. 

7 minutes ago, Ji said:
55 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:
When he barks I feel a lot better. 

How is he barking. He basically called the late dec early jan a big bust

Correct, and at least HM is honest, as his call was not correct either, he did say if pressure continues on the SPV end of December would be nasty as hell. 

That SPV pressure did happen, but the cold did not happen.  I group HM's forecast possibly on the same thought processes as Isotherm' s as a degree. They mention the same players  I believe HM's other posts do indicate clearly he thinks winter is NOT over. 

l I take that the MJO / Start / tropcial forcing / Hadley cell interplay and relationship interfered on a otherwise potentially promising window in mid to late December outside of the early Dec lower Mid Atlantic Snow storm. 

• Like 2

Amazing continuity run to run and from op to ensembles on gfs. The ridge in the east day 15 is "annoying" given the near perfect look with the epo, ao, nao but I have to suspect it's overdone or short lived given that look. Everything screams there should be a trough in the east there. 

• Like 2

Just now, psuhoffman said:

Amazing continuity run to run and from op to ensembles on gfs. The ridge in the east day 15 is "annoying" given the near perfect look with the epo, ao, nao but I have to suspect it's overdone or short lived given that look. Everything screams there should be a trough in the east there. 

That's what I was wondering. The look out west is ok. Why the ridge in the east?

2 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

We're losing the GEFS. Certainly not a cold look at the end.

gfs-ens_z500a_namer_65-1.png

gfs-ens_T850a_namer_65.png

No it still flips the Pacific around day 10. Beautiful epo ridge. But it pops a huge SE ridge as a system comes into the SW. That's unusual for a split flow with blocking.  If we get that pattern and a ridge sticks in the east anyways I'm throwing my hands up and saying we're cursed and it's the Debs who are picky about snows fault. They angered the snow gods and now they smite us. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Its probably a combo of the EPAC ridge axis being a bit too far west, PAC jet undercutting, and NA ridging is a tad weak/too far north. Correctable with minor tweaks.

3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

My guess is the typical step down progression as the TPV gets displaced towards Hudson. Should fight off the "easy" ridge in the east. I can envision the cold boundary carving its way south with a series of shortwaves/fronts. Probably not enough to avoid west tracks until later in Jan though.  I also think SNE will be hit one or more times before we get a chance at something. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic
  • WxUSAF locked this topic