• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2019 Discussion

Hoosier

I don't know if I've seen a slushy day as much as this, after my 6 inches of snow the rapid melt and rain just took walking out of the question. There is borderline flooding in certain low-laying areas. High elevation spots its extremely slippery. I thought today would be a good day to be outside since its going to be the warmest til the end of the month...I rather walk in the cold!

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, ConvectiveIA said:

Does that mean snowmobile to it? Sorry for my ignorance. I though WI and MN were in a snow drought 

Ground was bare before it snowed Friday night.  Before this weeks snow I think we were running at 1.5" of snow since December 1st.  Most areas have picked up between 12-16"+ since  this past Fri.

Yep one will be able to ride to Great Lakes DragAway for Winterfest. I think this will be the first time in at least the last 4 seasons that this corner of the state will have all of their trail systems open. Exciting.

Last winter we were only up to 15.5" at this time. Rough couple starts but we made a respectable winter out of last yrs not so great start and this yrs looks to be going that way to.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ended up with 1.6 of rain in my tippy bucket. Does not seem to correlate with the radar estimate from KIND though. You can tell the ground is frozen good though. There is still tons of standing water in the fields around town. Nothing is soaking in. It all has to run off. All of the field ditches and creeks are full up.

• Sad 2

Winter storm warnings posted for the shoreline counties of the UP.  Upwards of 8" here through tonight, the temp dropping to -10 with 30-40 mph winds.  Blizzard-like conditions at times, whiteouts and dangerous wind chills... M-28 between Mqt and Munising will surely close.  In weather like this, it makes the remoteness here seem even more so.  I would NOT want to get stuck or stranded.

MQT_snow_00-24hr.png.2bbc3281beda745c7e2fb48c34e009a7.png

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

Winter storm warnings posted for the shoreline counties of the UP.  Upwards of 8" here through tonight, the temp dropping to -10 with 30-40 mph winds.  Blizzard-like conditions at times, whiteouts and dangerous wind chills... M-28 between Mqt and Munising will surely close.  In weather like this, it makes the remoteness here seem even more so.  I would NOT want to get stuck or stranded.

MQT_snow_00-24hr.png.2bbc3281beda745c7e2fb48c34e009a7.png

I have been up in Munising/Christmas area during these blizzards, we were stuck at the hotel at White Pine for 3 days as M28 was closed during the period.  It can be downright nasty in that areas with the wind/heavy snow, wasn't even able to snowmobile it was so bad. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, janetjanet998 said:

will be adding to both of these,,starting to get concerned about the SWE so late in the winter ...with last year being wet 

a wet spring could be trouble

nsm_depth_2019012405_Midwest.jpg

nsm_swe_2019012405_Midwest.jpg

Its basically mid winter. This is not that late at all. Decent chance those areas dont have snowpack by the time spring gets here. Just have to hope to lose a little at a time.

1 hour ago, michsnowfreak said:

Its basically mid winter. This is not that late at all. Decent chance those areas dont have snowpack by the time spring gets here. Just have to hope to lose a little at a time.

in one week meteorological winter will be 2/3rd over...here in PIA some of the biggest floods on the IL river come in  march...cold pattern next ten days at least..it is not going anywhere soon..time will tell..

4 hours ago, janetjanet998 said:

will be adding to both of these,,starting to get concerned about the SWE so late in the winter ...with last year being wet 

a wet spring could be trouble

nsm_depth_2019012405_Midwest.jpg

nsm_swe_2019012405_Midwest.jpg

We have a good 12-13" on the ground right now.  It also has two layers of ice from freezing drizzle events between snows.  If it works out that we get a little tomorrow, and then potentially several inches Monday we would have a shot at 20+".  Deepest snow I can remember was about 16-17".  Both in early 99 after the NY blizzard, and after the GHDI blizzard in 2011.

• Like 3

Average snow depth now up to 17".  Think this might be the deepest I've seen here.  GHDI came close, but this has that beat.  Especially considering the multiple layers, including two ice layers.

They're hauling snow away in dump trucks right now in the center of town.  First time for that.  Guess they ran out of places to pile it up.

• Like 5