• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2019 Discussion

Hoosier

MLI gusted to 57mph earlier this eve.  Very impressive.  It was definitely rocking out there for quite awhile.  Surely the yard is littered with more sticks and mysterious trash blown in from blocks away.

The wind last night in east central IL was equally impressive. I enjoyed listening to it as I fell asleep

• Like 2

16 hours ago, IWXwx said:

What a weird set of events. The last 2018 tornado on New Year's Eve in Indiana and the first in 2019 in Ohio of all places.

I was thinking the same thing so I checked it out, and it looks like there were a few reports in CA and the deep South in the first week of 2019.  Not sure if they ended up getting confirmed.  

BTW, not sure if you saw that they confirmed a couple more tornadoes in IN from 12/31.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RogueWaves said:

After all the spring-like wx lately, today's winds were brutal. Picked up 0.8" of LES as a bonus tho.

Looks like lots of mood flakes for a large area downwind of the lakes.  That's one of the downsides of living west of the lakes out here.  We don't benefit from that sort of thing, so "days with flakes" are likely considerably less than areas further east.  

16batjo.jpg

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Looks like lots of mood flakes for a large area downwind of the lakes.  That's one of the downsides of living west of the lakes out here.  We don't benefit from that sort of thing, so "days with flakes" are likely considerably less than areas further east.  

16batjo.jpg

So true. It's been a horrendous start to the snow season, yet we have still have 32 days with flakes already.

30 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

Lots of snow and wind the past few days.  More than a foot has fallen.  Watching an interesting ene lake-enhanced setup tomorrow night and sat am.  Could be a surprise few inches.

snow keeps piling up... season total over 100".  I see MQT is at 95", about 8" above for the season.

IMG_1719.thumb.JPG.09adf350fd32302f6be05e9745f6ed09.JPG

Nice Pic Bo!

I am well over a foot since Tuesday night at my local as well, the biggest issue I had was with the 5 or 6" of concrete that was on the ground before the LES from the previous snows and freezing rain, made snow removal quite a chore yesterday.  Next few days looks to settle down and maybe pickup a few inches here or there through next week.  NWS APX is at 42" on the year I am closer to 50" almost 2' down for the year still. May be a struggle to even break a 100" this year in my area. 

7 minutes ago, josh_4184 said:

Nice Pic Bo!

I am well over a foot since Tuesday night at my local as well, the biggest issue I had was with the 5 or 6" of concrete that was on the ground before the LES from the previous snows and freezing rain, made snow removal quite a chore yesterday.  Next few days looks to settle down and maybe pickup a few inches here or there through next week.  NWS APX is at 42" on the year I am closer to 50" almost 2' down for the year still. May be a struggle to even break a 100" this year in my area.

IDK... All you need is a good week and you're caught up.  I wonder when the last time APX (Gaylord area) failed to reach 100"?  I bet it's pretty rare.  

Don't give up... Winter is young, lake MI is wide open and there's cold coming.:thumbsup:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, weatherbo said:

IDK... All you need is a good week and you're caught up.  I wonder when the last time APX (Gaylord area) failed to reach 100"?  I bet it's pretty rare.  

Don't give up... Winter is young, lake MI is wide open and there's cold coming.:thumbsup:

Looks like 2009/2010 Winter: 80.7" For APX locale although not sure this map is 100% official but it was generated by APX, I wasn't living up here until 2013 so missed that clunker of a winter. 2011/2012 winter wasn't much better lol. 

Annual_snow09-10.png

• Like 2

5 hours ago, josh_4184 said:

Nice Pic Bo!

It's looking like this month could really turn cold so I'm betting that you'll get dumped on this month. If it does turn really cold, you might be up to 100 inches by the end of the month.

7 hours ago, roardog said:

It's looking like this month could really turn cold so I'm betting that you'll get dumped on this month. If it does turn really cold, you might be up to 100 inches by the end of the month.

I sure wouldn't complain if that scenario played out, last few winters have been just so-so around here. 

14 hours ago, weatherbo said:

Lots of snow and wind the past few days.  More than a foot has fallen.  Watching an interesting ene lake-enhanced setup tomorrow night and sat am.  Could be a surprise few inches.

snow keeps piling up... season total over 100".  I see MQT is at 95", about 8" above for the season.

IMG_1719.thumb.JPG.09adf350fd32302f6be05e9745f6ed09.JPG

My friends and I are heading to Gwinn for the weekend, any idea how much I could expect? Point and click doesn't show much so I'm looking for someone who lives up there lol

10 hours ago, josh_4184 said:

Looks like 2009/2010 Winter: 80.7" For APX locale although not sure this map is 100% official but it was generated by APX, I wasn't living up here until 2013 so missed that clunker of a winter. 2011/2012 winter wasn't much better lol. 

Annual_snow09-10.png

Where did you find that map? I'd love to look at the history. I'd like to buy a house somewhere up there after I moved out of Puerto Rico and want to find a nice place with a lot of snow that is in a cool area

6 hours ago, LansingWeather said:

My friends and I are heading to Gwinn for the weekend, any idea how much I could expect? Point and click doesn't show much so I'm looking for someone who lives up there lol

There’s decent snow on the ground there, a foot or more, but probably nothing more than an inch or so of snow is likely to fall this weekend... sorry

1 hour ago, Chambana said:

Breathtaking photo opportunity this morning as freezing fog has stuck to the snow plastered trees. It looks amazing outside. Got down to 2 degrees. 

Nice picture!  Amazing what clear skies, calm wind, and limited UHI can do.

It only dropped to 25F this morning here in the NW suburbs of Chicago, with a blanket of clouds and about 3" of snow cover. 

3 hours ago, beavis1729 said:

Nice picture!  Amazing what clear skies, calm wind, and limited UHI can do.

It only dropped to 25F this morning here in the NW suburbs of Chicago, with a blanket of clouds and about 3" of snow cover. 

Dang, even I got down into the low teens.