Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 2019 Discussion

Hoosier

1 hour ago, weatherbo said:

A little concerned about power outages with the wet snow/wind combo

...HAZARDOUS TRAVEL LIKELY LATE SUNDAY NIGHT THROUGH MID TO LATE MONDAY... Travel will become increasingly difficult late Sunday night through Monday, especially during the Monday morning commute, as a swath of wet, moderate to at times heavy snow overspreads the Upper Peninsula. Snow will fall heaviest Monday morning into early afternoon, especially across the tip of the Keweenaw Peninsula and across central and eastern Upper Michigan where 5 to 8 inches of snow look possible at this time. Elsewhere, mainly across western Upper Michigan, snowfall amounts could top out around 4 to 5 inches in a few spots; however, travel will still be difficult due to the wet nature of the snow. Along with falling snow creating reduced visibilities, southeast winds are expected to increase with gusts upwards of 30 to 45 mph at times. These strong winds, especially over the tip of the Keweenaw and near Lake Superior and Lake Michigan will create not only blowing and drifting snow concerns, but the potential for near white-out conditions at times.

Definitely a possibility, do you not have a house generator? I bought mine the second year in my house after we kept losing power, best investment i made in quite some time. 

5 years ago today. What some people called the Polar Vortex Blizzard. I don't know if you like that name or not, but 10" to 13" of snow fell at Toledo. This was followed up by the possibly the coldest recorded wind chills in Toledo's history. (Assume the post-2001 wind chill formula) KTOL had -15 degrees with a wind of 20kt gusting to 27kt, and the wind chill was -43 degrees when computed with the steady wind of 20 kt.

KcID2L0.jpg

H5HxDH8.jpg

KjSSRHR.png

7VVHvQR.gif

ZoBueqz.png

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Chinook said:

5 years ago today. What some people called the Polar Vortex Blizzard. I don't know if you like that name or not, but 10" to 13" of snow fell at Toledo. This was followed up by the possibly the coldest recorded wind chills in Toledo's history. (Assume the post-2001 wind chill formula) KTOL had -15 degrees with a wind of 20kt gusting to 27kt, and the wind chill was -43 degrees when computed with the steady wind of 20 kt.

KcID2L0.jpg

H5HxDH8.jpg

KjSSRHR.png

7VVHvQR.gif

ZoBueqz.png

An amazing storm leading to an amazing cold outbreak in an epic historic Winter.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Chinook said:

KcID2L0.jpg

H5HxDH8.jpg

KjSSRHR.png

7VVHvQR.gif

ZoBueqz.png

One of my favorite storms of all time. Seeing heavy snow fall at 15 degrees was incredible. The wind was howling that night, interstates were shut down, and road salt had become ineffective towards the end of the night because of the bitter cold. 

I remember waking up the following morning to  a WC of -44, the numbing cold was unbearable. God what a winter. One I can’t wait to tell my son someday. I swear it seemed every single week we were under some type of WWA or WSW. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Chinook said:

Thanks for posting that. Good times.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, josh_4184 said:

Definitely a possibility, do you not have a house generator? I bought mine the second year in my house after we kept losing power, best investment i made in quite some time. 

I don’t, and I don’t want one. I have 2 wood stoves for heat and to cook if necessary. If anything, I’d be interested in solar as a back up. 

Will, the power seems to go out here more frequently. In the past year, I’ve lost power numerous times. The longest being a day. 

Made it to 53 today.  Definitely didn't feel or look like January.  I made a statement at work over a month ago that I'm gonna have to eat.  I stated that the huge piles of snow all around the parking lot would be around in some form through at least mid March.  They were over 10ft tall and even wider than that.  Of course they were extremely dense as well.  The last of them withered into the drains today, and with that all traces from the Nov storm are now history.:frostymelt:

• Sad 4

2 hours ago, DAFF said:

Top shelf weather today.. Don't think a early January day could get much nicer. Then again, a repeat of 5 years today would be nice.

Superb here today too. We went to the Morton Arboretum today and when we left, there must have been at least a hundred cars waiting in line to get in. They were raking in the cash today for sure.

With the wind and wet snow combo, this has been an impressive mini storm. 6.5-7" of concrete snow has fallen since about 4 am.

A very wet and dense 2' snowpack now in place here in the highest terrain areas.  I've noticed with the mild temps this winter, there's been very few fluffy snows... it's made for an awesome base to build on.

IMG_1616.JPG

IMG_1624.thumb.JPG.b91cbc0f40d4dfd2d54a1f40cad94ceb.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hawkeye_wx said:

I picked up 0.63" of rain overnight into this morning.

Not bad.  Picked up 0.47" here.  Temp made it to 55 here, 57 at MLI.

Looks like it will get a bit breezy tomorrow. 

From DVN

...Very Strong Winds Expected Tuesday...

.Very strong winds will develop Tuesday and usher colder air into
the region. A brief burst of strong winds with gusts up to 40 mph
is possible 6 to 8 AM Tuesday morning. However, the prolonged
very strong winds of 25 to 30 mph with gusts up to 55 mph will
develop around mid morning Tuesday and continue into Tuesday
evening.
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

From DVN

...Very Strong Winds Expected Tuesday...

.Very strong winds will develop Tuesday and usher colder air into
the region. A brief burst of strong winds with gusts up to 40 mph
is possible 6 to 8 AM Tuesday morning. However, the prolonged
very strong winds of 25 to 30 mph with gusts up to 55 mph will
develop around mid morning Tuesday and continue into Tuesday
evening.

Wondering if someone reaches High Wind Warning criteria tomorrow....

4 minutes ago, ILwxchr said:

Wondering if someone reaches High Wind Warning criteria tomorrow....

Wouldn't be surprised.  00z HRRR shows 50-55kts at the top of the mixing layer over much of Iowa/northern IL.  Looks like there should be plenty of sunshine as well, so mixing should be maximized.  

• Like 1

.68 of rain today for a record topping 2008's .50"

Topped out at 51 - not a record today.  63 is the record, 2008:wub:

Picked up .68" of rain, grass is pretty green and dense now here.  Looking like a shot of more rain tomorrow with something white maybe mixing in.  Little to no accum.

0000.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, UMB WX said:

.68 of rain today for a record topping 2008's .50"

Topped out at 51 - not a record today.  63 is the record, 2008:wub:

Picked up .68" of rain, grass is pretty dam dense now here.  Looking like a shot of more rain tomorrow with something white maybe mixing in.  Little to no accum.

0000.jpg

We had some people out playing basketball this afternoon like it was a spring day lol.  You just gotta love how weather can vary.  This time of year it can easily be well below zero during the day with -30 wind chills.  Today was 85 degrees warmer than that in the feels dept.

• Like 2

Yeah, Cyclone.   The atmosphere on the streets yesterday was on fire.  The backyard south facing sun without a cloud in the sky all day along with light wind and 56 degrees yesterday was as good as it gets in January if it won't snow.  A day I'll remember for sure.   

• Like 1