Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 2019 Medium/Long Range Pattern Discussion

John1122

5 minutes ago, weathertree4u said:

Dont take this the wrong way, but what does that mean? What happened to the really cold air we were seeing modeled yesterday. 

No problem and no offense taken at all.  Cold air and plenty of it is still there.  If the you looked at temps only, you would think the trough was in the East on the 18z GEFS post 300 hours.  At 500 (300+ hours) the trough shifts West but temps don’t drop here.  The surface pattern remains cold while the pattern aloft is different.  The EPS and GEPS are plenty cold.  I think models are very likely trying to break down what will be a verify as a very stubborn high latitude block.  

Just now, Carvers Gap said:

No problem and no offense taken at all.  Cold air and plenty of it is still there.  If the you looked at temps only, you would think the trough was in the East on the 18z GEFS post 300 hours.  At 500 (300+ hours) the trough shifts West but temps don’t drop here.  The surface pattern remains cold while the pattern aloft is different.  The EPS and GEPS are plenty cold.  I think models are very likely trying to break down what will be a verify as a very stubborn high latitude block.  

All right, that makes more sense to me, thank you!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, weathertree4u said:

Dont take this the wrong way, but what does that mean?

He can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he's talking about a 500 mb pattern: 

giphy.gif

that would normally look like it has a SE ridge/ developing eastern ridge (we might expect warmer than average), but looking at the temp anomalies:

giphy.gif

there seems to be some cold air hanging around. (Although I would say the 850s don't look quite as good):

giphy.gif

9 minutes ago, weathertree4u said:

What happened to the really cold air we were seeing modeled yesterday.

As much as I enjoyed that, it was the product of a very peculiar and specific set up that dropped the TPV into the CONUS. If that were to be modeled again, or actually happen, it will return. Heck, it could be back at 0z tonight or 18z tomorrow because to be honest, we are talking about 10 day + modeling.  

• Like 2

Just now, weathertree4u said:

All right, that makes more sense to me, thank you!

I looked this up on Google so hope this is correct...500mb is at about 20,000’.  The surface temps are at 2m.  So the pattern at 20,000’ is not the same as it is at 6’ which, while not rare, can be a bit unusual but very cold air will often be very difficult to root out.  

6 minutes ago, PowellVolz said:

Anyone else watching the radar in west Tennessee

If Stovepipe's parents still live in Paris, looks like they are doing pretty well! 

Looks like @The unknown might be going to get an inch or so too!

I'm pulling for all. 

Must be a pretty strong frontal passage when that last line comes through. 

If Stovepipe's parents still live in Paris, looks like they are doing pretty well! 
Looks like [mention=16853]The unknown[/mention] might be going to get an inch or so too!
I'm pulling for all. 
Must be a pretty strong frontal passage when that last line comes through. 

Radar looks better than I expected. Friend in Jackson says ground is white and it’s really coming down. 28 degrees already.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TellicoWx said:

18z GEFS mean looks alot better than last couple runs for the entire state.

Ditto on that comment.  It was about as good a run as one can get at this latitude.  If anyone has the attachment space, feel free to post the 16d total.  Starting to see some consistency in terms of big ensemble runs showing up roughly 2/3 of the time.  Also, thanks to everyone out west for providing updates on the snow.  

TRI is at +6.7 for the month so far...that number has been cut in half over the past week or so.  I think there is a pretty decent chance that number gets taken back to neutral or even slightly BN.  Should be really interesting to watch as the last few days of the month may be very cold - not to mention the next few days as well.  Minus a few warm days next week, looks like we are now going to enter a base cold pattern.

Another note...I think maybe what is going on in the LR might be related to storms firing in the Indian Ocean.  Per JB, those storms signaled the big December warm-up.  He noted that they are supposed to settle down this time incrementally over the next 2-3 weeks.  IDK...seems like later in the season should mute that.  JB also noted this might signal a second stat warm.  So, we might be seeing high latitude blocking fight off the affects of the IO convection, and that might be why we are seeing the cold bank against the Rockies on some runs.  Food for thought.  

8 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

...And a pretty nice run(statewide) of the 0z CMC and ends on a great note at 500.  Looks like three possible events for the forum area...depends on your back yard's location.

Selfishly, i would love a blend of the cmc and gfs storm track (tri) for the next system

• Like 1

One thing to remember as we deal with microclimates that seem to get less snow than surrounding areas during winter wx events...remember our ancestors moved to these various microclimates because the wx wasn’t as bad as surrounding areas.  These mini-banana belts often see less extremes.  Pretty smart folks.  

• Mr Bob locked and unpinned this topic