• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 2019 Medium/Long Range Pattern Discussion

John1122

John, I recall the February 1996 storm well.  I have never seen it snow so hard in my life.  We received about 22 inches here in Anderson County and because of the long term cold, it lasted a while.  There were also a few more snows shortly after that.  It pretty much shut our town down.  The blizzard of '93 was cool with it's thundersnow, but the memorable one for me was the '96 event because of the sustained cold and snowpacked roads. Great sledding for days!!

Also, I remember before the storm hit that the prediction was for inches of ice, not snow.  Thank God that didn't happen.  Started as sleet for a bit then an all snow, BEAUTIFUL storm!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Kentucky

A quick glance at the 12z ECMWF shows a harsh dive into bitter
winter conditions for next week - as well as significant snow for
a good portion of the CWA Thursday and over next weekend. Should
this solution pan out this could turn out to be one of the
harshest and snowiest mid winter pattern for eastern Kentucky on
record.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

@Kentucky

A quick glance at the 12z ECMWF shows a harsh dive into bitter
winter conditions for next week - as well as significant snow for
a good portion of the CWA Thursday and over next weekend. Should
this solution pan out this could turn out to be one of the
harshest and snowiest mid winter pattern for eastern Kentucky on
record.

great find, don't see that from jkl often...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, WinterWonderland said:

John, I recall the February 1996 storm well.  I have never seen it snow so hard in my life.  We received about 22 inches here in Anderson County and because of the long term cold, it lasted a while.  There were also a few more snows shortly after that.  It pretty much shut our town down.  The blizzard of '93 was cool with it's thundersnow, but the memorable one for me was the '96 event because of the sustained cold and snowpacked roads. Great sledding for days!!

Also, I remember before the storm hit that the prediction was for inches of ice, not snow.  Thank God that didn't happen.  Started as sleet for a bit then an all snow, BEAUTIFUL storm!

It was a great event, we had 20s for highs in advance of the storm. I was working on Douglas Lake at the time and can still remember driving home from work on a bright sunny day, cold, but blue skies, when the winter storm warnings went up. The next evening it started snowing and snowed at about 1-2 inches per hour for the next 12 hours. There was an especially heavy swath from Roane/Anderson/North Knox/Union/Jefferson of 18-24 inches. One of the guys I worked with was from Maynardville and he got 20 inches. 

That his on February 2nd. February 4th it was -20 here. So as you said, the snow stuck around for a while. That winter was just epic. There were snow piles here into March. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

I remember in the old days mets on the Weather Chanel would talk about "the Motherlode" coming out of Canada.

18z GFS agreed with 12z Euro, but is a little different in how it gets us there. I know it's a ways out there, but wow:

TRI makes it to -22 at 6z Jan 30th. 

Eric Webb says “this is about the coldest Planetary-Scale pattern you can ask for”.  He was referring to the tail end of January into early February.  I don’t even follow the guy but I found it interesting when I read it in another forum.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am extremely excited, and hopeful but there is a part of me that begins to worry about storm track suppression if we can't get something at the start of the cold intrusion especially with it being so insanely strong. We seem to score at the start of an outbreak and when it begins to retreat so I'm hopeful we can get our break.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Ok, so saw the Wind Chill posted in the SE forum for Boone based on 18z GFS. Decided to try and figure it out for White Rocks (ridge above Ewing, VA); date, Jan 29.

temp at 925mb, -29 F; wind, 15 knots

wind chill = -46.8 F

Not saying that will verify, but just impressed that it is even on the table. 

Looked like Roane Mt would be  -53 wind chill or so at that time period. 

• Thanks 1

If this holds in the modeling I feel we may need to make a new combined topic for both the arctic outbreak and potential storms.  Leading up to it I'm not sure if This Sunday's storm qualifies for a thread but I think wednesday-thursday will warrant one if it's still significant by Sunday.

• Mr Bob locked and unpinned this topic