Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 2019 Medium/Long Range Pattern Discussion

John1122

Now, what I'm interested in is what the Euro showed at the end:

giphy.gif 

Thought I'd change up the maps for fun. 

Seems like an unlikely outcome to me, but intriguing possibility.

Now, in the big picture, if we are going to talk about a single OP run being good or not, 12z Euro was........unique at H5, especially in the AO, NAO domains:

giphy.gif 

Pretty different from 0z and will likely be just as different at 0z tomorrow. 

36 minutes ago, weathertree4u said:

Appears more south than prio?

It's just according to which run the past couple of days you've looked at. At one point it was showing 2-4 inches over SW Tennessee. Last night it was 2-3 inches in NWTn. So definitelya downward trend in snowfall for western areas. I'm sure 0z will have its own look too. 

To my eye the snowfall total went down.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I recommend just watching how things develop at this point. Could end up better, could end up worse. As others have said above these things bounce around from run to run and the sort of mesoscale dynamics that could produce snow in W TN this weekend are usually hard to predict, even 24 hours out. 

• Like 1

And to be fair, I am one to know. I have spent waaaayyyyyy too many hours of my life waiting for the next model run. I still do it (see below). Looks good one run, bad the next. 

Not to stir the pot, but 0z 3k NAM jumped south. This could very well jump back north at 6z, but for now:

giphy.gif 

For this sort of set up (correct me if I'm wrong) live radar is the best to go by as it develops. Once the energy starts to jump to the coast, it's usually game over for the comma head band.

I would say watch for trends, but don't get too hung up on precise placement. The storm is coming, wherever it all sets up, precise details to be determined. 

I think for the first time that I can ever remember...the Euro Weeklies were BN for every, single week.  The first 32 days feature AN precip.  I would list through d46, but looks like the algorithm is not working correctly as evidenced by the single, uniform color of mauve.  Anyway, for NE TN folks, the snow mean was 14-16".  I am not saying whether these Weeklies verify...but this evening's run probably set the benchmark for BN temps and consecutive weeks.  I will say, I was less than impressed with the teleconnection package.  The AO was negative, and the lone feature that seems to mean business.  Everything else was basically weakly in our favor.  Other than that, tough to gripe about anything on that run.  Lettuce(purposeful) hope that we are about to embark on a long stretch of winter.  I want to see this board hopping.

Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 10.32.45 PM.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

And to be fair, I am one to know. I have spent waaaayyyyyy too many hours of my life waiting for the next model run. I still do it (see below). Looks good one run, bad the next. 
Not to stir the pot, but 0z 3k NAM jumped south. This could very well jump back north at 6z, but for now:
giphy.gif&key=f4dea916454a5d0efbac26fccf29c552099878b26e71e91ef6b409ffbf1cbb31 
For this sort of set up (correct me if I'm wrong) live radar is the best to go by as it develops. Once the energy starts to jump to the coast, it's usually game over for the comma head band.
I would say watch for trends, but don't get too hung up on precise placement. The storm is coming, wherever it all sets up, precise details to be determined. 

I know gulf storms can sometimes rob our area of anything decent and we end up with little.....could that be a possibility based on this gif you posted? I wouldn’t think so....at least not this time b/c of the strength of the system, the placement of the low, and it looks like more of a squall line instead of persistent cells firing along the coastal regions. But based on the microclimates of our area.... I never say never.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GFS has a similar solution next midweek to the FV3 earlier today. Stalled front with a low riding up east of the Apps, 2-5 inches basically east of the plateau, along and north of 40 that run. Also ice accumulations in the area. Overall cold but way warmer than some of the super cold runs the past few days. That's going to bounce around like all the long range operational model runs. 

The Euro was a monster from the Plateau east with the midweek system. The FV3 hit Plateau and west towards Nashville. The GFS/FV3/UKIE/Euro are all very similar with the mid week system developing a wave and Tennessee being in the cold air for it.

Euro was roughly 4 inches Eastern Middle. 8 inches central Plateau. 10-12 in my area into SEKY. 6-8 inches around Knoxville into NE TN/SW Va. 10+ in the mountains. 2-4 around Northern Alabama to Chattanooga, 1-2 around Nashville.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Euro follows that system with a quick clipper, and then another miller A at day 9 into 10. 240 hour totals say  1-3 inches fall over west Tennessee, 3-5 over western middle Tennessee, 8-10 over northern and eastern middle Tn, and across Knoxville, the Southern Plateau and to just north of Chattanooga, 4-5 over Northern Alabama, Northeastern Ga to Chattanooga. 2-4 over Eastern Mississippi, and 2-4 into central Alabama. 14-18 over the Northern Plateau/SEKY. 10-12 over NE TN/SWVA.

I'd take that run of the Euro and probably be close to satisfied for the entire winter season.

• Like 3

• Mr Bob locked and unpinned this topic