Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2019 General Discussion & Observations

Rtd208

10 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Weeklys come out absolutly banging. Where is the winter cancle crowd now? Always a good idea to cancle winter before our best month for snow and specifically KUs.

Seen this movie before.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Weeklys come out absolutly banging. Where is the winter cancle crowd now? Always a good idea to cancle winter before our best month for snow and specifically KUs.

Well to be fair, we've all seen this story before.  Believe it when I see it.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Brasiluvsnow said:

LBSF when are we looking at ? Before or after the Super Bowl Feb 3rd ?

Other then a brief relaxation around week 2 it’s just wall to wall for all 6 weeks. There is a reason the pros (the real deal guys not the clicks for dollars crew) have been so optimistic about February 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Other then a brief relaxation around week 2 it’s just wall to wall for all 6 weeks. There is a reason the pros (the real deal guys not the clicks for dollars crew) have been so optimistic about February 

I think I'll just wait until I see a snow covered ground. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, weatherpruf said:

Yeah, like Lucy and Charlie Brown with the football....still I hope it is true this time.

yep-they've looked good for the better part of a month-not much to show for it in the snowfall dept....first 2/3 of met winter have delivered a grand total of less than one inch...who predicted that on 12/1?????

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

Actually they haven't

To his point though, we know that going back over a month ago that the "weeklies" and "tellies" looked good.

On 12/17/2018 at 6:18 PM, Snow88 said:

Weeklies look awesome

On 12/17/2018 at 7:08 PM, Snow88 said:

Cold but we know they can change

Everyone is on board with a big pattern change by the 1st week of January.

I wouldn't discount snow for xmas. Still have to watch it.

Mjo is on the move.

Get some sleep

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Remainder of Jan. averaging 31degs., or 1deg. BN.

Month to date is +1.4[33.7].     Should end the month near +0.7[33.1].

All 8 days are averaging 30degs., or about 2degs. BN.

EURO is 3" of Snow the next 10 days, with a -4 Low on Feb. 03.    The GEFS is a 40% chance of at least 7" of Snow by Feb. 10.

52 minutes ago, bluewave said:

0z Euro backed  off on the intensity of the cold behind the storm near the end of the month. The actual forecast is sensitive to the PV location and wind direction. So there is a chance that it won’t get cold enough to drop the monthly departures to negative.

Jan temperature departures through the 24th

NYC....+1.4

LGA.....+1.3

EWR....+1.7

JFK......+1.3

ISP.......+2.0

BDR......+1.9

The Op run kept the PV up in Canada basically even Chicago didn’t get that cold either.  It’s an outlier at the moment though 

Just now, bluewave said:

It will come down to the storm evolution. A deeper low through New England could squeeze the PV just to our north with more westerly flow for us. Guidance a few days ago was weaker with the storm and had colder temperatures. 

At the same time though I think that PV not dropping way south changes the entire forecast days 5-10 as far as having better snow chances.  If that thing comes south we probably are dry for 3-4 days.  If it hangs up more in SE canada something could happen 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, SnowGoose69 said:

March is hard to predict at the moments. In general positive SOI or SOI El Niño winters averaging between -5 and 0 tend to have mild Marches 

The way the season has evolved and even though 2012-13 was not a true el nino (we have to get away from being too dependent on ENSO), do you think this season may follow a similar progression?  Bluewave (Chris) and I have been talking about it extensively in the NYC area subforum, that starting with the November snowstorm and continuing with what our area has experienced both temp and snowfall-wise, this season has been a very good match to 2012-13.  Does this mean eastern regions will get a megasnowstorm in February?  Obviously not, but perhaps the risks are higher than they would ordinarily be and if it does happen, I do hope it's a big event for more than just the eastern regions.  In addition to that, we had a significant event in March, so since the whole pattern change was delayed this season just like it was in 2012-13 do you think the chances are now higher that the wintry pattern may continue on into March?  My thinking is yes.

from Tom's thread

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

0z Euro backed  off on the intensity of the cold behind the storm near the end of the month. The actual forecast is sensitive to the PV location and wind direction. So there is a chance that it won’t get cold enough to drop the monthly departures to negative.

Jan temperature departures through the 24th

NYC....+1.4

LGA.....+1.3

EWR....+1.7

JFK......+1.3

ISP.......+2.0

BDR......+1.9

Thats actually a good thing, those 80s snow drought winters all had cold Januarys, the more cold, the more suppressed so we want to see just average cold.

5 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Thats actually a good thing, those 80s snow drought winters all had cold Januarys, the more cold, the more suppressed so we want to see just average cold.

It would be a first for NYC if it can hold a positive temperature departure for the rest of the month. Every other January since 1980 with a low under 5 degrees finished with a cold departure for January.

NYC Januaries since 1980 with a low under 5 degrees

2014....-4.0...28.6

2004....-7.9...24.7

2000....-1.3...31.3

1997....-0.5...32.1

1994....-7.1...25.5

1985....-3.1....28.8

1982....-6.5....26.1

1981.....-6.4....26.2

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bluewave said:

It would be a first for NYC if it can hold a positive temperature departure for the rest of the month. Every other January since 1980 with a low under 5 degrees finished with a cold departure for January.

NYC Januaries since 1980 with a low under 5 degrees

2014....-4.0...28.6

2004....-7.9...24.7

2000....-1.3...31.3

1997....-0.5...32.1

1994....-7.1...25.5

1985....-3.1....28.8

1982....-6.5....26.1

1981.....-6.4....26.2

So now the chances for having a 0 or below low look much less likely? :(

Jan 1996 didnt have a low under 5, Chris?