Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2019 General Discussion & Observations

Rtd208

9 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

I’m not sure we are there yet but we are getting there.  I think the problem the last 6 or so years is something unrelated.  Even during the 1980s the NAO still was negative a decent amount of time although only the 83-84 and 84-85 winters saw it average negative overall

those were awful winters back then too lol

cold and dry or warm and wet.  Jan 1985 had that historic cold snap followed by a mild Feb.

9 minutes ago, purduewx80 said:

It's a shame we probably won't get an 18Z sounding from OKX. Both 925 and 850mb winds are forecast at record levels the next several hours. 

OKX_925.thumb.png.9a78440b56d0998ffd994334a33a7e3b.png

Fairly widespread 80-85KT winds showing up on the JFK terminal doppler and DIX between 2000-5000', with a few embedded maxes over 90KT, and the jet is still forecast to intensify. Hard to say if it will mix down in a widespread fashion, but I'd imagine a few 50KT gusts are possible in the region between 11-3ish.

I hope we get a tornado or other severe weather event that makes them have to give us soundings.

Just now, snowman19 said:

I’m not talking about next week. I said come the 2nd week of February. You can see the retrogression on all models

The NAO block remains elusive.  It appears we have a 2 week window for some action...if the NAO block does come then things could change...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, purduewx80 said:

It's a shame we probably won't get an 18Z sounding from OKX. Both 925 and 850mb winds are forecast at record levels the next several hours. 

OKX_925.thumb.png.9a78440b56d0998ffd994334a33a7e3b.png

Fairly widespread 80-85KT winds showing up on the JFK terminal doppler and DIX between 2000-5000', with a few embedded maxes over 90KT, and the jet is still forecast to intensify. Hard to say if it will mix down in a widespread fashion, but I'd imagine a few 50KT gusts are possible in the region between 11-3ish.

Just had a gust to 43 mph in Wantagh ahead of the main squall line this afternoon. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

The NAO block remains elusive.  It appears we have a 2 week window for some action...if the NAO block does come then things could change...

We haven't necessarily needed it but that's because the Pacific blocking had been stellar. This year, so far, we haven't had either so it's been crappy. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SnoSki14 said:

We haven't necessarily needed it but that's because the Pacific blocking had been stellar. This year, so far, we haven't had either so it's been crappy. 

The PAC has surprised me.  With that warm blob up near AK I would have figured we’d get a good -EPO.   Instead we’ve had a strong pac jet all season killing the ridge 

• Like 2

Just now, SnoSki14 said:

The Pacific has refused to cooperate since late November yes. We were spoiled and compensated for the NAO and AO not being favorable the last several winters. Just based on what I’m seeing now, like I said before, the Pacific is looking to become hostile again come week 2 of February. Question is, is it a week of being unfavorable or something more lengthy?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

The Pacific has refused to cooperate since late November yes. We were spoiled and compensated for the NAO and AO not being favorable the last several winters. Just based on what I’m seeing now, like I said before, the Pacific is looking to become hostile again come week 2 of February. Question is, is it a week of being unfavorable or something more lengthy?

without a neg nao you need the pacific to be great a la 1993-94 and 2002-03

2 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

By then or post 2/20 winter will be wrapping up anyway, so it won't matter.

And I don't expect March to bail us out again either. Time is ticking now, we're just about at peak climo.

38 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

By then or post 2/20 winter will be wrapping up anyway, so it won't matter.

And I don't expect March to bail us out again either. Time is ticking now, we're just about at peak climo.

March is hard to predict at the moments. In general positive SOI or SOI El Niño winters averaging between -5 and 0 tend to have mild Marches 

1 hour ago, snowman19 said:

There’s pretty good guidance suggesting that we go positive EPO and back to zonal come the 2nd week of February. If you look at the 200mb, the Pacific jet is gaining quite a bit a strength now over the far western Pacific again and it would appear another jet extension period is building up

Where you seeing that ? 

1039907836_eps_z500a_expac_61JAN24SPLITFLOW.thumb.png.6ec45405d8fe75fb16ac1eb5ecee9062.png

wk3.wk4_20190122.z500.gif

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Snow88 said:

Orh from sne also disagreed with him

I love to see guidance that maybe I missed , I was hoping he could show me. Another BOZO in here  from Red Bank posed in here a week ago that the upcoming period would have the trough in the west.

He`s going to test zero during that period.