Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2019 General Discussion & Observations

Rtd208

4 hours ago, snowman19 said:

Oooops. I told you the pattern was breaking right down but as always you condescendingly “opined” and degraded people. Karma

Dude , the next 5 days are well BN with 2 shots of light snow , Your " breakdown " is a 5  to 7 day period of AN , then it`s back  ( in the 10 -15 ) as we head towards p8.

You guys think it`s over ?  Good luck bud. 

twc_globe_mjo_vp200-7.png

plot_chi_tvalue_8pan_novmar-2.gif

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, PB COLTS NECK NJ said:

Dude , the next 5 days are well BN with 2 shots of light snow , Your " breakdown " is a 5  to 7 day period of AN , then it`s back  ( in the 10 -15 ) as we head towards p8.

This assumes it gets to phase 8, many MJO forecasts have it meandering in phase 6/7. 

And this year anything outside 5 days has been impossible to forecast including the MJO. 

17 minutes ago, PB COLTS NECK NJ said:

10-15 days away as usual.   Maybe it comes this time, maybe it doesn't, but it's getting late early.   The warmup in the mid term was only seen by modeling 2-3 days ago, so anything beyond that is anyone's guess at this juncture...  No guarantee the erratic MJO doesn't pop over to 4-5 again...and without blocking any arctic shots are in and out like the one this week...need something to lock it in....too much going wrong this year IMO.   

3 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

10-15 days away as usual.   Maybe it comes this time, maybe it doesn't, but it's getting late early.   The warmup in the mid term was only seen by modeling 2-3 days ago, so anything beyond that is anyone's guess at this juncture...  No guarantee the erratic MJO doesn't pop over to 4-5 again...and without blocking any arctic shots are in and out like the one this week...need something to lock it in....too much going wrong this year IMO.   

The next 5 are cold , small snow shots , then we def warm for 5 days and then we prob reset.

The MJO could always wheel back into a crud p , but before it does I think it gets to 8 

24 minutes ago, PB COLTS NECK NJ said:

Yep, sure. You condescendingly degraded posters as usual for suggesting this breakdown was even coming at all, arrogantly, as you always do, as if you control the weather and tell it what to do. Then when the news is bad you disappear, then reappear to lecture people. And the cold is lasting less than 5 days. It’s going bye bye come Saturday. MJO phase 8, how long have we heard that battle cry now? 3 weeks. It’s coming, it’s coming. So is met spring in 4 weeks from now 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Yep, sure. You condescendingly degraded posters as usual for suggesting this breakdown was even coming at all, arrogantly, as you always do, as if you control the weather and tell it what to do. Then when the news is bad you disappear, then reappear to lecture people. And the cold is lasting less than 5 days. It’s going bye bye come Saturday. MJO phase 8, how long have we heard that battle cry now? 3 weeks. It’s coming, it’s coming. So is met winter in 4 weeks from now 

There`s zero bad news for me , my call was that we turn colder from Jan 10 onward , we did. 

The next 5 days are BN with L snow , then we warm for 5 days before the MJO goes back into 8.

There`s no bad news.. It hasn`t snowed - I trade energy I don`t care about your backyard , I think I posted to Brian 2 weeks ago , you may be cold and dry  

Calling Brian ,,, could you enlighten the young lad pls

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, PB COLTS NECK NJ said:

There`s zero bad news for me , my call was that we turn colder from Jan 10 onward , we did. 

The next 5 days are BN with L snow , then we warm for 5 days before the MJO goes back into 8.

There`s no bad news.. It hasn`t snowed , I think I posted to Brian 2 weeks ago , you may be cold and dry  

Calling Brian ,,, could you enlighten the young lad pls

You did correct, but the warmup surprised you and everyone else-you were looking for a cold 30 day period...granted that could happen but we're going to have a few days with some big positive departures that were not see even 3 days ago...very difficult forecasting this year MJO jumping back to crappy phases mid Jan-also a surprise...Christ a month ago I thought we were headed towards a 14-15 repeat, doesn't look like that at all now...

• Like 1

Just now, Stormlover74 said:

and today it was colder than forecast. Was supposed to be upper 30s and didn't even hit freezing

It was one of those after midnight highs today.

TEMPERATURE (F)
 TODAY
  MAXIMUM         38   1231 AM  66    1916  39     -1       55
  MINIMUM         25    942 AM  -2    1925  27     -2       46
  AVERAGE         32                        33     -1       51

1 hour ago, jfklganyc said:

Anybody else looking at that -12F for a high temp this week in Chicago?

We are barely getting the edge of that airmass.

I’m glad we aren't getting a taste of that. I don’t even know how such an airmass would translate in our area.

-12F is insane for a high temperature, especially in a place where the average high is in the low 30’s iirc. I can’t even fathom that level of cold as I’ve never experienced temperatures below zero.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cfa said:

I’m glad we aren't getting a taste of that. I don’t even know how such an airmass would translate in our area.

-12F is insane for a high temperature, especially in a place where the average high is in the low 30’s iirc. I’ve never experienced negative anything.

I've felt -20 before and it was horrible, even with zero wind. It was part of this hellish month:

https://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/ithaca/new-york/united-states/usny0717/2015/2

E: Go to the history tab.

9 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

yeah but afternoon temps were supposed to be 36-38 as of this morning. EWR stayed around 30-31

The models were pretty close. But I didn’t look at what any outlets were running with.

KNYC   NAM MOS GUIDANCE    1/28/2019  1200 UTC                      
 DT /JAN  28/JAN  29                /JAN  30                
 HR   18 21 00 03 06 09 12 15 18 21 
 N/X                    29          
 TMP  29 30 28 29 29 30 32 35 37 37 

Just now, 495weatherguy said:

That sounds awful--How long could you withstand being outside for?

Well I had a 25 minute walk to class so I guess that long lol. I was completely covered up though, including goggles so my eyes wouldn't freeze shut. On top of my regular clothes I also had leather gloves, a heavy sweater, a heavy jacket, two scarves and a skullcap, as well as the jacket's hood. The only exposed skin was immediately around my eyes, and even that was rough.

7 minutes ago, Gravity Wave said:

I've felt -20 before and it was horrible, even with zero wind. It was part of this hellish month:

https://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/ithaca/new-york/united-states/usny0717/2015/2

E: Go to the history tab.

1/19/94 I was in -15 degree air and that was at noon with light winds. Any exposed skin just feels like needles are being stuck in your skin