Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2019 General Discussion & Observations

Rtd208

1 minute ago, snowman19 said:

No, no I actually didn’t. But you on the other hand have been calling for cold and snowstorms since the end of November. 

that's his M.O. every year.   So and so said this, so and so said that....blah blah blah.  In the end, too much to fix this year...strong PAC jet, MJO constantly in poor phases of 4-5-6, phantom -AO and -NAO.   Just too much working against us.  Happens.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Brian5671 said:

JB had originally talked of a long lasting severe cold snap that would stretch resources thin....he's not talking about that anymore and is stating the models are too strong on the warm up next week.  (certainly trying to keep the ship afloat, but it's taking on more water than the pumps can handle...)

JB is the head of the snow weenie club. He is always preaching coldest times ever with wall to wall winter. Why? Because clicks and marketing. Seriously, when was the last time JB said in the fall, "you know what? This year I am expecting above normal temperatures and below average snowfall for the east coast metropolitan region." I cannot remember one year where it was not going to be the coldest winter of all time. And sadly, not one has been the coldest winter of all time. Then when we have a winter like this, despite his original call being very incorrect, people still go back to, but JB sees cold and snowy in the future. Long range forecast are very difficult to make, but when each and every year is going to be record snowfall, you have to begin to wonder whether it is just hype.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JustinRP37 said:

JB is the head of the snow weenie club. He is always preaching coldest times ever with wall to wall winter. Why? Because clicks and marketing. Seriously, when was the last time JB said in the fall, "you know what? This year I am expecting above normal temperatures and below average snowfall for the east coast metropolitan region." I cannot remember one year where it was not going to be the coldest winter of all time. And sadly, not one has been the coldest winter of all time. Then when we have a winter like this, despite his original call being very incorrect, people still go back to, but JB sees cold and snowy in the future. Long range forecast are very difficult to make, but when each and every year is going to be record snowfall, you have to begin to wonder whether it is just hype.

He did one year-04-05 maybe? And he was right...but that's it...   While I enjoy JB and do learn alot from his posts/videos, he has a clear cold bias-he'll try to find the cold in the pattern regardless.  You have to factor that in with him and Joe D'Aleo....

1 minute ago, Brian5671 said:

He did one year-04-05 maybe? And he was right...but that's it...   While I enjoy JB and do learn alot from his posts/videos, he has a clear cold bias-he'll try to find the cold in the pattern regardless.  You have to factor that in with him and Joe D'Aleo....

But back then he was with Accuweather still. So, how much of that was truly him? Plus that pattern was pretty darn clear. Not trying to be disrespectful and what not, because he does know his storms quite well. However, like you said for the cold, he could probably have his true snow weenies believe that it could snow in NYC for Independence Day at noon. 

Just now, JustinRP37 said:

But back then he was with Accuweather still. So, how much of that was truly him? Plus that pattern was pretty darn clear. Not trying to be disrespectful and what not, because he does know his storms quite well. However, like you said for the cold, he could probably have his true snow weenies believe that it could snow in NYC for Independence Day at noon. 

2001-02 is probably the first year I remember reading him and he was still gung ho for a cold snowy winter in the northeast. We did get cold briefly in late December but it was clear it wouldn't last

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Oooops. I told you the pattern was breaking right down but as always you condescendingly “opined” and degraded people. Karma

How about you wait until it actually happens??? Right now neither of you are right or wrong. Claiming victory a week before something happens, especially in weather and more so in a volatile winter is ridiculous... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I still think we reach average snowfall (I'll admit though I have crow cooking in the oven now). I always thought this winter would feature normal to just above normal temperatures (looks like that is still the case). I'm just playing devil's advocate and pointing out that JB always claims wall to wall cold and snow in a season forecast. But sorry to say, that forecast for winter is already 2/3rds wrong. December was warm and not snowy, and January was average and not snowy. That is one thing that drives me nuts is when someone predicts above average snowfall for meteorological winter with below average temperatures, then when we end up having much above normal temperatures but one massive storm got us above average,  that person goes "see" I was right". To me that is just dumb luck, which in the 2010s has turned out right more times than not since we have been getting blockbuster storms. I think the MTA in NYC has had more suspended days in the 2010s than any other decade for snow. 

Edit: Wrong quote.

10 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

2001-02 is probably the first year I remember reading him and he was still gung ho for a cold snowy winter in the northeast. We did get cold briefly in late December but it was clear it wouldn't last

That was my last year on ski team, and I remember that being just downright brutally icy because like you said the cold didn't last long. 

38 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

looks like a good call at this point.   Nothing to date, maybe 1-2 inches of snow tomorrow and then we torch for 5 days...not looking good for anything sustained cold/snowy

31 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

that's his M.O. every year.   So and so said this, so and so said that....blah blah blah.  In the end, too much to fix this year...strong PAC jet, MJO constantly in poor phases of 4-5-6, phantom -AO and -NAO.   Just too much working against us.  Happens.  

Do you have a magic 8 ball? You should stop posting if you think winter is over. 

I didn't forecast anything. I just got my forecasts from Isotherm and earthlight and others who thought this winter was going to be good at this point.

Everyone called for a pattern change in late January which verified.  Instead of calling someone out , know your facts first.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

How about you wait until it actually happens??? Right now neither of you are right or wrong. Claiming victory a week before something happens, especially in weather and more so in a volatile winter is ridiculous... 

He does this every winter. Now Brian is trolling just like he is. He will not do this on other forums because he knows he will be restricted.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

Do you have a magic 8 ball? You should stop posting if you think winter is over. 

I didn't forecast anything. I just got my forecasts from Isotherm and earthlight and others who thought this winter was going to be good at this point.

Everyone called for a pattern change in late January which verified.  Instead of calling someone out , know your facts first.

No magic 8 ball, but like I outlined above, a lot is working against us.   And on point 2, why don't you look at the data and make your own thoughts instead of regurgitating what others say?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Brian5671 said:

No magic 8 ball, but like I outlined above, a lot is working against us.   And on point 2, why don't you look at the data and make your own thoughts instead of regurgitating what others say?

I'm too busy to do that and also a grade A weenie.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, JustinRP37 said:

I still think we reach average snowfall (I'll admit though I have crow cooking in the oven now). I always thought this winter would feature normal to just above normal temperatures (looks like that is still the case). I'm just playing devil's advocate and pointing out that JB always claims wall to wall cold and snow in a season forecast. But sorry to say, that forecast for winter is already 2/3rds wrong. December was warm and not snowy, and January was average and not snowy. That is one thing that drives me nuts is when someone predicts above average snowfall for meteorological winter with below average temperatures, then when we end up having much above normal temperatures but one massive storm got us above average,  that person goes "see" I was right". To me that is just dumb luck, which in the 2010s has turned out right more times than not since we have been getting blockbuster storms. I think the MTA in NYC has had more suspended days in the 2010s than any other decade for snow. 

Edit: Wrong quote.

I agree on the average snowfall. All it takes is one good storm from mid feb to mid March. The call for sustained snow cover on the coast will fail as it’s very hard to maintain snow cover from mid feb on. Funny thing is we may end up with at least some snow cover during this upcoming cold period from two chances. One being the storm tomorrow night and another from convective snow showers Wednesday 

• Like 2

analogs of hope...not counting none el nino years like 2012-13 that had a November snowstorm and February storm...

1905-06...after only 2.5" by mid January the second half had three snowstorms adding up to 17.5"...

1913-14...after only 1.6" by mid January February and March had major storms and a total of 38.9"...

1923-24...after only 1.5" by mid January the second half totaled 26.0" including an eight inch snowstorm on April 1st...

1925-26...after only 4.1" by mid January February had two major storms adding to the 28.3" that fell...

1965-66...Only a trace of snow by mid January but the last week of January got 11.6" including a KU event...February got another 6" storm in the second half of the month...

1968-69...had 8" going into the second half of February because December was good...22.2" including a major storm after February 8th...

1982-83...had 4" by mid January but February delivered 21.5" with a major storm...

2014-15...had 3.2" by mid January and 47.1" the rest of the way including a snowy March...

50 minutes ago, uncle W said:

analogs of hope...not counting none el nino years like 2012-13 that had a November snowstorm and February storm...

1905-06...after only 2.5" by mid January the second half had three snowstorms adding up to 17.5"...

1913-14...after only 1.6" by mid January February and March had major storms and a total of 38.9"...

1923-24...after only 1.5" by mid January the second half totaled 26.0" including an eight inch snowstorm on April 1st...

1925-26...after only 4.1" by mid January February had two major storms adding to the 28.3" that fell...

1965-66...Only a trace of snow by mid January but the last week of January got 11.6" including a KU event...February got another 6" storm in the second half of the month...

1968-69...had 8" going into the second half of February because December was good...22.2" including a major storm after February 8th...

1982-83...had 4" by mid January but February delivered 21.5" with a major storm...

2014-15...had 3.2" by mid January and 47.1" the rest of the way including a snowy March...

We pray!

1 minute ago, White Gorilla said:

One good storm and all is forgiven?  Is that the general consensus? 

We just need to establish a pattern in February or March which will allow that to happen. We really haven’t had a just 1 storm winter in a while. Even 12-13 and 15-16 had multiple events. Optimally, you want to increase your number of events so we can at least reach normal seasonal snowfall. But in this new snowier era, all it takes is 1 could work out. Be we are just going to have to wait and see how things turn out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Snow88 said:

Earthlight and Isotherm are both very bright and talented forecasters - not taking anything away from them, but, here, in this instance, they are going to throw gutter balls this winter. The writing is on the wall. One week of cold, a snow event here and there and and annoyingly cold March (again) wont make this winter wintry. Damn November snow events

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, weatherlogix said:

Earthlight and Isotherm are both very bright and talented forecasters - not taking anything away from them, but, here, in this instance, they are going to throw gutter balls this winter. The writing is on the wall. One week of cold, a snow event here and there and and annoyingly cold March (again) wont make this winter wintry. Damn November snow events

Speak for yourself. There are alot of people here who don't live in NYC or Long Island( the centers of the universe). This winter hasn't been great but I have received 15 inches so far and still have snow on the ground. Expecting another 2-4 by Wednesday morning. Temps have been pretty much average as well. Saying winter is over in January is just foolish even if you have had very little snow to date. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, weatherlogix said:

In winters that NYC receives 3"+ of snow in November, NYC averages over 30".

Edit: the exact figure is 36.1"

42 minutes ago, White Gorilla said:

One good storm and all is forgiven?  Is that the general consensus? 

Nah, not for me at least. I’m drained at this point. No matter what happens now, I’ll be ready for spring. Unless we get a 2014-15 Boston redux here, this winter cannot leave soon enough imo 

5 minutes ago, TwcMan said:

Nah, not for me at least. I’m drained at this point. No matter what happens now, I’ll be ready for spring. Unless we get a 2014-15 Boston redux here, this winter cannot leave soon enough imo 

agreed.  0 degrees and then warm up and rain does nothing for me.  Let it torch at this point ala '11-12

• Like 2