SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2019 General Discussion & Observations

Rtd208

20 hours ago, Snow88 said:

The snow is sticking on contact

Looks nice outside

It was snowing this morning and we had a covering on roads but as soon as it stopped the snow evaporated it was so light and dry lol and the sun was out before 10 am.  And then I saw how it just kept snowing and snowing in DC all day and into the evening, even when it stopped in south Jersey.  I hope we get a long duration event next weekend like what DC just got but with more snow lol.  I want it to start on Friday and for it to end Sunday afternoon and for it to be clear by 11 pm Sunday night for the total eclipse!

On 1/13/2019 at 2:19 AM, weatherpruf said:

And something we can all do without. That 94 event was devastating and people were killed. Snow is kinda fun, ice storms are in the category of natural disasters. No thanks.

It looked beautiful on the trees though and it ended on a Saturday morning.  I truly think with big events like this we need to go beyond weather warnings and no one except essential personnel should be allowed on the roads.  Shut them down for safety reasons.

19 hours ago, bluewave said:

The mid-Atlantic wins the first half of met winter snowfall sweepstakes with today and December 11th. We can see this during El Niño years. But this type of suppression in the past has generally been a result of too much blocking on the Atlantic side. This time it’s the fast Pacific Jet squashing the southern stream.

I thought we were part of the mid Atlantic lol.  But this is how we had bad snowfall years back in the 80s.  I remember the Mets back then used to say that NYC was in a bad location for snow because we were in between two predominant storm tracks.  The southern storm track which gives snow to the south and lower mid atlantic and the northern track which gives us rain while it snows in New England.  And we also can fail with miller B's that develop too far to our east.

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, SnoSki14 said:

Because that's never happened in this region and although it's physically possible, it's an extreme case particularly in this area. 

Most likely case would be a rain to arctic cold system, sleet storm, or a much warmer freezing rain event. 

trust me it's happened.

in Jan 1994 it was in the teens here with freezing rain while it was freezing rain with temps near 0 (yes zero!) in Newburgh and Poughkeepsie.

17 hours ago, Gravity Wave said:

It would be fun to see the city drop below zero but no one should be rooting for what the models are showing after the storms. I experienced -20 in Ithaca in February 2014 (no wind, fortunately) and it was insanely cold. If you didn't wear goggles your eyes would instantly water from the cold and start to freeze shut.

its fun to experience it from inside, but no one should ever go outside in weather like that

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, sussexcountyobs said:

The only saving grace with that was the temp steadily rose all day and night into the 40's by the next morning. 

there was no 40s after the Jan 1994 ice storm we were in the 20s the next day which was a Saturday and the 1.5-2" of freezing rain happened on top of like 3 inches of sleet which was on top of like 2 inches of snow lol.  It all looked really beautiful outside.

16 hours ago, lindywx said:

Dec 16th, 1973 was one of Long Islands (south of the LIE)worst ice storms  It was the day that OJ ran for 200 yards against the Jets at Shea  I remember watching the snow/sleet mix at Shea while just 25 miles to the ESE in Wantagh it was 27F with a steady rain  The next morning with brilliant sunshine was a sight to behold  albeit as treacherous as you can imagine.

People always say how bad that storm was but I dont see how it could have been worse than the Jan 1994 ice storm when we got like 2 inches of ice on the south shore, on top of 3 inches of sleet which was on top of 2 inches of snow lol.

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, weatherpruf said:

Then there was a 50+ degree rainstorm that washed all that snow off the ice, clogging street drains and causing flooding. It was a horrific period, and no one was ready for it.

Personally I liked the 1995-96 winter a lot better.  But in 1993-94 we ran out of road salt and didn't in 1995-96.

There was no HECS snowstorm in 1993-94 and no pure snow event more than 4" which was our first event and in late December (always a good sign for a long duration snow winter for us)- which was a clipper off Norfolk turned coastal storm that developed more off of ACY but was moving too quickly to give us more than that.  but I did see my first ever thundersnow during the day in the first Feb 1994 snow and that was amazing it was snowing like 2-3 inches per hour at 10 am and it brought a two week thaw to an end with a bang!  That thaw had started in late Jan when we went from 0 degrees to 32 degrees in the same day (prior to a big cutter that got us to the upper 50s the next day), which ended our second arctic outbreak where we had reached 0 or below.  We also had a thaw after the two Feb events and reached the low 60s a week after that but we went back to more snow in March.

• Confused 1

Next 8 days averaging 32degs., or just Normal.

Month to date is +3.7[36.4].      Should be +2.3[34.7] by the 22nd.

24.4 here at 6am.

[Was any snow measured in Central Park yesterday?]    It says Missing.

EURO is 5"[down from 18"!] of Snow for the next 10 days.    GEFS is a 60% chance of at least 13" by the 30th.

• Like 2

Excellent NWS northern edge forecast of measurable pcpn for NJ issued Saturday afternoon... with the fluff 10z-13z/13 light snow to the north measuring melted .01 up to I-80 on CoCoRAHS but not ASOS.  Certainly not the .10 i expected I-80 region for this event.  Attached a few images of possible interest regarding this past weekend's storm totals, plus current snow depth and departure from normal (early morning 14th). Click the images for the details. Any questions on these, please ask.  Have a fun week anticipating. 

Screen Shot 2019-01-14 at 5.12.05 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-14 at 5.10.03 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-14 at 5.09.38 AM.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

No surprise there-most likely will be a cutter or apps runner.   Hopefully we can get the NJO to head towards 7-8-1 again....

Pretty wild how November still stands as the coldest NYC temperature of 15 and biggest snowstorm at 6.4” this far into January. It may be a first for a November max  snowfall and min temperature to persist past January 15th.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, bluewave said:

You can see how the guidance shifter warmer with the storm on the 20th as all the models now have a MJO 4-5. Also notice how the cold shot right behind the storm is less impressive 8-10.

5BDB0501-5974-4AD0-A731-D6B2CCA7194B.thumb.png.43a3f8a6f8f4deb186915ea116f36e3b.png

AE2809BD-7519-49D0-94C9-6D2F298A8932.thumb.png.75b93a4d9bef5f8e29cb27a12b11d283.png

768D7210-9E31-47C0-B947-6DFC788B6F5D.thumb.png.1951b9e691acc0ce958b284c1ff62815.png

What happened to the below zero temps after the storm?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, qg_omega said:

What happened to the below zero temps after the storm?

more day 7-10 fantasy there-none of these big snowstorms or big cold have verified....same ol story all winter so far.   raging pac jet and MJO have been the big surprises this winter.   The pac jet keeps knocking down the ridge that we need to deliver the cold....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, bluewave said:

Pretty wild how November still stands as the coldest NYC temperature of 15 and biggest snowstorm at 6.4” this far into January. It may be a first for a November max  snowfall and min temperature to persist past January 15th.

You know, for the 140+ years of CPK record-keeping, it was bound to happen. It may just be .7% chance of occurring, and this year was that .7%.

26 minutes ago, North and West said:

You know, for the 140+ years of CPK record-keeping, it was bound to happen. It may just be .7% chance of occurring, and this year was that .7%.

Only the 5th time on record that NYC couldn’t drop below 20 degrees from 12/1 to 1/14.

1 2013-01-14 22 0
2 2019-01-14 20 1
- 2002-01-14 20 0
- 1975-01-14 20 0
- 1932-01-14 20 0

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SnoSki14 said:

Horrible, give me a warm 11/12 winter then if we're not gonna snow. 

Hopefully the models continue to modify the cold behind it.

It's good, though; it's good to control insect populations with fewer places to hide in severe cold with snowcover.

Of course I enjoy storms, that's why we're here; there's just something to be said for dry and cold.