• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2019 General Discussion & Observations

Rtd208

EURO has ditched the 19th---21st storm down to 1" {from 15"}here and 4" {from 23"}in DC.        Gives sub-zero temps. to both of us---but colder in DC!    The EURO should stay outside in that Arctic cold it predicts and get it's act straight.   Fifth time in a few weeks a 1-Run Snowstorm  has shown up.

5 minutes ago, CIK62 said:

EURO has ditched the 19th---21st storm down to 1" {from 15"}here and 4" {from 23"}in DC.        Gives sub-zero temps. to both of us---but colder in DC!    The EURO should stay outside in that Arctic cold it predicts and get it's act straight.   Fifth time in a few weeks a 1-Run Snowstorm  has shown up.

Have you checked the other models?

Eps?

3 hours ago, NEG NAO said:

MJO is favorable in 4 and 5 ???

No that's why models are showing somewhat of a relaxation after the 1/20 storm for a few days. 

Doesn't look warm though and the PNA looks to amplify shortly after like Isotherm said. Last week of Jan has tons of potential.

The 1/20 could also work out for us. 

• Like 1

Posted the results (verification) of long term guidance in the Dec 26-Jan 3 range:  In nutshell, guidance was decent on dates of significant pcpn events and much colder trend, just too cold on 1/4 and 8 events. But now to the upcoming Sunday-Monday.  You've probably noticed a recent cyclic trend north, that I doubt will waffle back south.  500mb is apparently losing the upper low less and less as it moves east from the central Plains and reinvigorating it as it crosses the mid Atlc coast Monday.  I rarely see less than 16% pops on both models be wet in a large scale storm, inside of 4 periods (48 hrs -see NAM and GFS 12z MOS for JFK), The dry dew points are a problem, but I also think its becoming clearer that the confluence zone will be a bit further north, allowing the potent storm to dump in two or three episodes in NJ, even up here to near I-80 on LI.  EPS especially is catching on (I think its correct about sending decent snow further N, especially Monday, even ensembling a closed 500mb low along the NJ coast).  The GFS JFK MOS has its highest 6 hr pop Sunday night (16%). NAM from 12z and 18z is having trouble, probably figuring out a coherent 500MB pattern and associated surface response. So, we'll all be model watching. I dont think it's yet out of of the question to see .10 or greater qpf by 06z/15 all the way up to I-80. I'm not saying it will but its looking a little better now.  For what its worth. All this EC model guidance probably was too late for the early afternoon NWS collaborative watch/warning/qpf/snow amount effort?  or there may be other guidance that says no way to the EPS.  All i know, its been big in MO and the Ohio Valley and I dont think it will wane nearly as much as even now modeled.  I've attached an automated stats graphic for the prob of 2" or more of snow by Monday night.  Note I-80 in the 40% portion of the band.  Shall be interesting for a while longer, especially Monday morning. fwiw...its been 32F or lower in Wantage NJ since 830PM the 9th. 

Screen Shot 2019-01-12 at 4.02.59 PM.png

• Like 7

46 minutes ago, wdrag said:

Posted the results (verification) of long term guidance in the Dec 26-Jan 3 range:  In nutshell, guidance was decent on dates of significant pcpn events and much colder trend, just too cold on 1/4 and 8 events. But now to the upcoming Sunday-Monday.  You've probably noticed a recent cyclic trend north, that I doubt will waffle back south.  500mb is apparently losing the upper low less and less as it moves east from the central Plains and reinvigorating it as it crosses the mid Atlc coast Monday.  I rarely see less than 16% pops on both models be wet in a large scale storm, inside of 4 periods (48 hrs -see NAM and GFS 12z MOS for JFK), The dry dew points are a problem, but I also think its becoming clearer that the confluence zone will be a bit further north, allowing the potent storm to dump in two or three episodes in NJ, even up here to near I-80 on LI.  EPS especially is catching on (I think its correct about sending decent snow further N, especially Monday, even ensembling a closed 500mb low along the NJ coast).  The GFS JFK MOS has its highest 6 hr pop Sunday night (16%). NAM from 12z and 18z is having trouble, probably figuring out a coherent 500MB pattern and associated surface response. So, we'll all be model watching. I dont think it's yet out of of the question to see .10 or greater qpf by 06z/15 all the way up to I-80. I'm not saying it will but its looking a little better now.  For what its worth. All this EC model guidance probably was too late for the early afternoon NWS collaborative watch/warning/qpf/snow amount effort?  or there may be other guidance that says no way to the EPS.  All i know, its been big in MO and the Ohio Valley and I dont think it will wane nearly as much as even now modeled.  I've attached an automated stats graphic for the prob of 2" or more of snow by Monday night.  Note I-80 in the 40% portion of the band.  Shall be interesting for a while longer, especially Monday morning. fwiw...its been 32F or lower in Wantage NJ since 830PM the 9th. 

Screen Shot 2019-01-12 at 4.02.59 PM.png

MT. Holly says basically no snow in Central NJ

NJZ012-130900-  
MIDDLESEX-  

INCLUDING THE CITY OF NEW BRUNSWICK  
330 PM EST SAT JAN 12 2019  

TONIGHT

MOSTLY CLOUDY. A SLIGHT CHANCE OF SNOW AFTER MIDNIGHT.  
LOWS IN THE MID 20S. WEST WINDS AROUND 5 MPH EARLY, BECOMING  
LIGHT AND VARIABLE, THEN BECOMING NORTH AROUND 5 MPH AFTER  
MIDNIGHT. CHANCE OF SNOW 20 PERCENT.

SUNDAY

MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A 20 PERCENT CHANCE OF SNOW. HIGHS  
IN THE LOWER 30S. NORTHEAST WINDS 5 TO 10 MPH.

SUNDAY NIGHT

MOSTLY CLOUDY. LOWS IN THE LOWER 20S. NORTHEAST  
WINDS 5 TO 10 MPH.

MONDAY

MOSTLY SUNNY. HIGHS IN THE MID 30S. NORTH WINDS 5 TO  
10 MPH.

MONDAY NIGHT

Lets see how this evolves...  All i see is all models trending ever so slightly north (have not checked the 18z/12 GFS)  and the op GFS especially has a tendency to be too far south on these storms. i cant remember model performance on the Nov 15 snowstorm except NAM prob of frozen was not helpful in the I95 corridor.  I do remember events from Dec 9-10 through now, and the GFS tendency in my estimation is to lose too much definition aloft and therefore, be too far south. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NEG NAO said:

and this is why you can't trust the models this far out Euro went from MECS to next to nothing too

Who knows how much you can trust them 24 hours out. I’m still looking at tomorrow’s storm. The shift in the RAP from 15z to 21z was very interesting. Not sure how reliable it is at the end of its range but the shift north very noticeable. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SnoSki14 said:

No that's why models are showing somewhat of a relaxation after the 1/20 storm for a few days. 

Doesn't look warm though and the PNA looks to amplify shortly after like Isotherm said. Last week of Jan has tons of potential.

The 1/20 could also work out for us. 

What models are showing a relaxation?

3 minutes ago, Edubbs83 said:

Who knows how much you can trust them 24 hours out. I’m still looking at tomorrow’s storm. The shift in the RAP from 15z to 21z was very interesting. Not sure how reliable it is at the end of its range but the shift north very noticeable. 

It’s hard to imagine guidance could be that off this close in but there does  definitely appear to be enough exiting of the confluence that the system could end up more north 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, jfklganyc said:

I was just thinking of the 12/03 event.

It was fun...but never really panned out to all the hype of a 1-2 punch that was forecast.

It was supposed to be a snowstorm/blizzard combo. 

We did well on the first day of the storm because we were just 5 miles north of the rain/snow line, but on the second day, the heaviest action shifted east :( we ended up with just over a foot total, but 8 inches was the total for the first day and 5 inches on the second day.  Farmingdale got 20 inches total.  Thought we'd have higher ratios with the colder air on the second day but it didn't snow hard here for round 2.

Just now, LibertyBell said:

We did well on the first day of the storm because we were just 5 miles north of the rain/snow line, but on the second day, the heaviest action shifted east :( we ended up with just over a foot total, but 8 inches was the total for the first day and 5 inches on the second day.  Farmingdale got 20 inches.

I had around 8 each day but the 2nd half definitely underperformed, I do remember gettting a blizzard warning

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

I had around 8 each day but the 2nd half definitely underperformed, I do remember gettting a blizzard warning

That was our earliest blizzard warning I think.  Yes I was hoping to get like a foot on the second day.  Looking back at pictures from that two day storm, the visibility seemed a lot lower on the first day with much larger flakes, while the second day had higher visibility and the snow flakes were much smaller.  It actually looked like dust particles cascading down.

• Confused 1

Baltimore and Washington, DC are poised to pick up their biggest snowstorm since March 20-22, 2018 and possibly January 22-23, 2016. Washington, DC could receive 4"-8" snow and Baltimore 3"-6" snow by the time the storm departs on Sunday. Some locally higher amounts are likely in and around the Washington area. Atlantic City, Philadelphia and Harrisburg could see 2"-4". A coating remains possible from central New Jersey to perhaps even parts of New York City. The 18z RGEM shows potential for up to 0.5" in New York City, so there is some support for a coating in the City.

Additional storms are likely over the following 1-2 weeks as winter begins to lock the region into a generally cold and snowy grip.

The SOI was -5.84 today. It has been negative for 11 out of the last 13 days.

The AO was -1.400. That is the 7th consecutive day the AO has been negative. The preliminary average for meteorological winter is -0.050.

On January 11, the MJO was in Phase 8 with an amplitude of 1.060 (RMM). That amplitude was below the January 10-adjusted figure of 1.606.

Uncertainty persists for the MJO's medium-term forecast. Taking into consideration the greater consistency of the statistical guidance, the baseline scenario remains the MJO's gradually moving into Phase 1 at perhaps a low amplitude or moving into low amplitude shortly afterward. Once that happens, the MJO could spend an extended period at a low amplitude. The ensemble forecasts for a prolonged AO- are consistent with the MJO's being in a mainly low amplitude.

A predominant AO-/PNA+ combination remains likely after mid-month. The guidance continues to hint at the development of strong to perhaps severe blocking in the medium-range. An AO-/PNA+ combination has been present for most of the region's big January snowstorms. Since 1950, 68% of New York City's, 69% of Philadelphia's, and 64% of Washington D.C.'s 6" or greater January snowfalls occurred with a AO-/PNA+ combination. Today's Middle Atlantic snowstorm is occurring with just such a combination (preliminary PNA: +0.818).

Following this weekend's storm, another storm or storms could impact the region during the January 19-21 period and again during the January 23-25 period. The possibility exists for a widespread moderate to significant snowfall from either or both of these events.

The potential for above normal monthly snowfall remains on the table for such cities as Washington, Baltimore, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Allentown, New York, Islip, and possibly Providence and Boston (where 0.2" snow has fallen to date, 2nd lowest such figure since winter 1999-00 when no measurable snow had fallen through January 12). In fact, following the current storm, Washington, DC's snowfall could exceed the January normal figure.

The probability of a colder than normal average monthly temperature in the New York City area is also increasing.

• Like 1