Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2019 General Discussion & Observations

Rtd208

5 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

I wouldn't say our calendar is entirely artificial, we base it off the seasons and the sun. the solstices and equinox happen on nearly the same dates every year, it's why we get repeating patterns around the same dates and our big storms are clustered around certain "hot spots."

I don't have the patience or knowledge, maybe @uncle W does, to run some scenarios based on the Hebrew calendar which is the longest running lunar calendar in use today. I'd be curious to see the results. 

8 minutes ago, NEG NAO said:

The winter that keeps fooling everyone - its already a bust since met winter is just about 50 % over with above normal temps and below normal snow - January will be above normal if MJO spends a week in 4 or 5 - I wouldn't count on February YET this point...………..BUT all I just mentioned is just pure speculation at this point

very frustrating and difficult to predict year-every indication was that this would be a good to possibly blockbuster winter (good is still possible) going into the season....maybe we can get a HECS to save it....if there's no snow this weekend, NYC will have the first year since 1870-71 with zero snow for met winter's 1st half....(not much better up here-couple of coatings on the grass)

• Haha 1

Careful with the RIMM plots they have been awful over the last few weeks , secondly a very muted p of the MJO may be fighting the effects of a S/W with the vortex moving SE out of HB at the time. 

The EPS isn`t a cutter , it take a center to the OHV and redevelops it off the Delmarva , the GEFS mean if off to your east and is cold.

It is 9 days away and I would seriously wait a few days before anyone jumps.

The winter has sckkkd so missing another one would hurt I get it ,  but patience with this one. 

1 minute ago, PB COLTS NECK NJ said:

Careful with the RIMM plots they have been awful over the last few weeks , secondly a very muted p of the MJO may be fighting the effects of a S/W with the vortex moving SE out of HB at the time. 

The EPS isn`t a cutter , it take a center to the OHV and redevelops it off the Delmarva , the GEFS mean if off to your east and is cold.

It is 9 days away and I would seriously wait a few days before anyone jumps.

The winter has sckkkd so missing another one would hurt I get it ,  but patience with this one. 

I think "patience" has been the most used word in this forum the last month or so - "bust" might become the second

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Only the GFS RIMM plots have been awful as the Euro has done much better. Remember the GFS going off the charts around Christmas.? Even the GFS VP charts are showing forcing over the IO and Maritime Continent going forward. 

That 5SD was silly. We may head across towards 5 , but if you look at the RIMM plots , you are closer to a  sub 1 SD p4 and by that with time the lag out of the null phase  which may be allowing other drivers to be in charge at d9. 

We can always cut , and although I posted the redevelopment of the EPS , there is a primary that goes into the OHV 1st .

If that gets N of 40 then the coast is toast.

At 9 days I need to see if the - EPO is real in front of it before I make a forecast.

19 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The whole winter pattern so far has been really MJO driven. So small changes in the day 6-10 forecast have made post day 10 guidance even more unreliable than usual. The MJO becoming more active in recent years has added a new wild card to our winter forecasts.

This has done very well  

last.90d.RMMPhase.png

The MJO has been the driver but getting stuck in p5 for 2 weeks pre strat warm is a lot different than a muted 4- 5 with a vortex over H/B and rolling SE. 

I saw the east risk last week for this weekends system and that was right ,but I do see the W risk here with the WAR sitting out there.

I just want to get closer  , I think there`s a lot of good stuff in front of us tho. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, NEG NAO said:

I think "patience" has been the most used word in this forum the last month or so - "bust" might become the second

A big part of the problem was the ridiculous analogs being peddled around back in September, October and November. Some folks were calling for wall to wall winter from November through March and it backfired horribly 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

58 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

This winter has been easy to swallow given it hasn't even started yet. 

If it busts then it busts. We learn from it and move on, what else can you do. 

20 years ago I would have been really upset, but there's more important things in life...can't do anything about the weather-maybe this year produces down the road, maybe it doesn't.   Life goes on...

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

This winter has been easy to swallow given it hasn't even started yet. 

If it busts then it busts. We learn from it and move on, what else can you do. 

No way we could have predicted a +SOI in December and early Jan and then a raging Pacific.

• Confused 1

28 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

A big part of the problem was the ridiculous analogs being peddled around back in September, October and November. Some folks were calling for wall to wall winter from November through March and it backfired horribly 

Social media is part of the problem too-people post ridiculous maps that have no chance of verifying and the hype machine in general gets worse every year.   Years like 93-94, 95-96, 14-15 are thrown out way too often as analogs...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Cfa said:

Very cold today, it’s been nearly a year (361 days) since I had a high in the 20’s, it hasn’t happened since January 15th (2018). Today looks borderline, and may hit at least 30.

mud has frozen here after a few days of 35 or less for highs...right now 29 here...

35 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

20 years ago I would have been really upset, but there's more important things in life...can't do anything about the weather-maybe this year produces down the road, maybe it doesn't.   Life goes on...

No reason to get upset. After all, it’s only frozen water falling from the sky. lol 

23 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

mud has frozen here after a few days of 35 or less for highs...right now 29 here...

This will still be a less impressive cool down for NYC than the one in November. The November coldest minimum was 15 and the low max was 28 degrees. NYC is already 27 degrees without any lows near 15 for the remainder of this cool down.

2 minutes ago, bluewave said:

This will still be a less impressive cool down for NYC than the one in November. The November coldest minimum was 15 and the low max was 28 degrees. NYC is already 27 degrees without any lows near 15 for the remainder of this cool down.

guessing that might have to do with the lack of snowcover over parts of the continent?

Gfs is very stormy with cold nearby on the mid to long range.

Gefs has a coastal signal for next weekend. Yes the op runs show rain right now but it's over 200 hours out and we know that isn't going to happen as it looks.

Weeklies showed a cold and stormy pattern last night and the operational models are starting to show it.

Buckle up

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, Snow88 said:

Gfs is very stormy with cold nearby on the mid to long range.

Gefs has a coastal signal for next weekend. Yes the op runs show rain right now but it's over 200 hours out and we know that isn't going to happen as it looks.

Weeklies showed a cold and stormy pattern last night and the operational models are starting to show it.

Buckle up

heard that a few weeks ago.    Until things get within the 4-5 day range, I'd be cautious....

• Like 3