Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2019 General Discussion & Observations

Rtd208

36 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

This has been a rough winter so far for the D.C , Philly , Baltimore, NYC and especially Boston weenies.

Next threat is the 20th

It has been no better here. I know it's superstition, but generally, in recent decades, a early season snow has been followed by lame winters, and so have, statistically, snowless Decembers. Correlation isn't causation and all, but still.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

It has been no better here. I know it's superstition, but generally, in recent decades, a early season snow has been followed by lame winters, and so have, statistically, snowless Decembers. Correlation isn't causation and all, but still.

Yep

2011 And 2012

29 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

This year is following a similar snowfall pattern to 12-13 so far. In Nov 12 we got a 6” event on the 7th. This year the 6” event was on 11-15. Both years had no further 6” events through Jan 10th. I believe the reason for this is that it takes time to recover from a pattern change to less favorable for snow from November into December. Hopefully, we won’t have to wait until February 8-9 for the next 6” event like 2013. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Some years, despite a favorable pattern, it just doesn’t want to snow.   Haven’t we had a few years in the recent past where we have had significant snowfalls that were “thread the needle” type situations?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 495weatherguy said:

Some years, despite a favorable pattern, it just doesn’t want to snow.   Haven’t we had a few years in the recent past where we have had significant snowfalls that were “thread the needle” type situations?

The pattern is currently changing . A pattern change doesn't mean it will definitely snow.

29 minutes ago, bluewave said:

This year is following a similar snowfall pattern to 12-13 so far. In Nov 12 we got a 6” event on the 7th. This year the 6” event was on 11-15. Both years had no further 6” events through Jan 10th. I believe the reason for this is that it takes time to recover from a pattern change to less favorable for snow from November into December. Hopefully, we won’t have to wait until February 8-9 for the next 6” event like 2013. 

I was thinking of 06-07 and 12-13.  Let's hope it's more 12-13 and less 06-07 in terms of storm track lol.

Chris, in 12-13 how many 6 inch snowstorms did we get outside of the November event and the big event in February? Any others?

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Please make that the 22nd lol.  I dont want to miss this eclipse on the night of the 20th.

You dont think we will get 1-3" this weekend?

The models are  now shredding the overrunning. At this rate we will not even as a flake up here.

• Haha 1

winter shutout continues.  This may be the first winter w/o measureable snow in Central Park for the 1st half of met winter since 1870-1871.  A rare and difficult feat.

-

locally I've had a couple of coatings on the grass, but not a total shutout.    

-

How long can we go?!?!?! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

winter shutout continues.  This may be the first winter w/o measureable snow in Central Park for the 1st half of met winter since 1870-1871.  A rare and difficult feat.

-

locally I've had a couple of coatings on the grass, but not a total shutout.    

-

How long can we go?!?!?! 

I was wondering about that!  Whats the most snow NYC has had when they have had a T or 0.0 between Dec 1 and Jan 15?

The same could apply to Boston.......

A trace is a shut out to me, if you can't measure it, it didn't really happen.

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

I was thinking of 06-07 and 12-13.  Let's hope it's more 12-13 and less 06-07 in terms of storm track lol.

Chris, in 12-13 how many 6 inch snowstorms did we get outside of the November event and the big event in February? Any others?

February 8-9 and March 8 were the two big 6”+events following the November 2012 snowstorm.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bluewave said:

February 8-9 and March 8 were the two big 6” events following the November 2012 snowstorm.

I'm glad we got one in March too.  So it was an extended snow season- which we will hopefully have again this year.  I'm hoping Jan 20-Mar 20.  Just not on the night of the eclipse lol.

12 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

I'm glad we got one in March too.  So it was an extended snow season- which we will hopefully have again this year.  I'm hoping Jan 20-Mar 20.  Just not on the night of the eclipse lol.

Met winter DJF had one of the lowest snowfall totals in NYC through February 7, 2013. People were just about to throw in  the towel for that winter before the Euro showed the storm just 5 days before.

1 1998-02-07 0.5 0
2 1919-02-07 0.6 0
3 1900-02-07 1.1 0
4 1932-02-07 1.6 0
- 1914-02-07 1.6 0
6 1973-02-07 1.8 0
7 1901-02-07 2.1 2
8 1992-02-07 2.2 0
9 1906-02-07 2.5 0
10 2007-02-07 2.6 0
11 2013-02-07 2.7 0

• Like 1