Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2019 General Discussion & Observations

Rtd208

20 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I have been laying low since I have a broken collar bone from ice boarding but I think we are solid for a light snow event. There is nothing screaming big storm but we have seen allot more moisture in past storms then modeled. I like a general 2-3” across the area. Anything is better then nothing at this point. 

Feel better Freak

Next 8 days are averaging 33 or near Normal.

EURO is 1" of Snow for the next 10 days.

GEFS is 50/50 on at least 7" of Snow by the 25th.

The 13th storm is  under 2" on all models.

FV3 is great and looks like the GFS 0Z of Mon., with HIGH further west by 200 miles@1041mb.

Tried to get latest Daily/30Day SOI on NOAA, but got Unemployment Ins. Info instead.   JB did say the dailies went Negative recently.   Anyone have a site for this?

Interestingly, the EURO averages 38* on the 18th., while the GFS averages 24* on the same day.   With storms incoming then, this will need to be resolved.

• Like 1

A light snow event or suppression look like the most likely options with the very strong NPAC jet continuing. While the MJO 8 is bringing the cold, the Pacific Jet is still too unfavorable for a classic BM KU event. Need to see that jet back off and allow the STJ to take over so it can ride north when we have cold in place.

E85389B5-3F0A-4E9B-89FB-40950764CF3D.thumb.png.a9ccc9c394a8a2e8e6a9a610fd8826dd.png

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, bluewave said:

A light snow event or suppression look like the only 2 options with the very strong NPAC jet continuing. While the MJO 8 is bringing the cold, the Pacific Jet is still too unfavorable for a classic BM KU event. Need to see that jet back off and allow the STJ to take over so it can ride north when we have cold in place.

E85389B5-3F0A-4E9B-89FB-40950764CF3D.thumb.png.a9ccc9c394a8a2e8e6a9a610fd8826dd.png

That right there (unrelenting Pacific jet) is one of the reasons why I do not believe we are headed for a ‘14-‘15 esque late January to early March comeback. The other reason is the PDO. Jan-Mar ‘15 had a severely positive PDO, over +2. We have nothing close to that this time around. I believe the extremely positive PDO is what drove a lot of that winter

14 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

That right there (unrelenting Pacific jet) is one of the reasons why I do not believe we are headed for a ‘14-‘15 esque late January to early March comeback. The other reason is the PDO. Jan-Mar ‘15 had a severely positive PDO, over +2. We have nothing close to that this time around. I believe the extremely positive PDO is what drove a lot of that winter

While back-loaded winters are typical for El Niño’s, the flavor of this winter so far is different than 14-15. That winter had a wall to wall -EPO from the beginning of December right through March. This year the EPO has mostly been positive with a stronger PAC jet than we typically see with an El Niño. But exactly how back-loaded El Niño’s turn out to be is a bit of a surprise each year. So we’ll just have to wait and see how things turn out.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, NycStormChaser said:

Captured some amazing photos of the fog this evening. Waited around for the line of storms but the visibility made the lightning hard to capture. Still cool to see the sky light up in January from a thunderstorm. HFvnCEW.jpg

Is that the Verrazano or the Throgs Neck?

8 hours ago, NycStormChaser said:

Captured some amazing photos of the fog this evening. Waited around for the line of storms but the visibility made the lightning hard to capture. Still cool to see the sky light up in January from a thunderstorm. HFvnCEW.jpg

That's an awesome picture. I've been pretty good at getting sunrises/sunsets around here

2 hours ago, snowman19 said:

Agree.  The strong Pac Jet screwed us a few years ago-largely unforecast then too...going to be difficult for any long lasting cold to get established with that Jet pushing Pac air across the continent....