• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2019 General Discussion & Observations

Rtd208

On late12-early 14...  I follow ensembles in general and I think we have an event coming per GEFS/EPS/GEPS. ( I definitely think the FV3 has problems and am not looking forward to the change, but it must come, because I think thats what the modeling world needs, to make a substantial improvement on the GFS~ 2020-21).  In this situation,  I want to see the GGEM OP come on board.  Until that happens...  my confidence on type/size are with doubts but it seems at least a grazer .1 to .5" qpf NYC/NNJ is coming with potent "options" for a bigger storm.  An event has been in the modeling  for many-many days. I wont be able to restudy this in depth til either this evening or early Tuesday.  I think (not sure if its already up) its time we start a thread on snowfall/ice amounts observations from 6PM this evening through 10AM Tuesday for this first minor event centered on the 8th n and w of NYC.  That can keep the conversations separated when the first little batch of precip arrives this evening.  Have a good day. Walt

• Like 2

6 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

I felt it lol my house was shaking.  I thought 40 mph was wind advisory conditions?

what about all this cold and possible snow coming for next weekend? that looks like a sustained cold pattern

anemometers are a pain to put up though lol

especially in areas with a lot of tall objects around

I have been saying for awhile that not getting any benchmark tracks at all this fall or early winter was a bit of a concern, things could turn 06-07 like in terms of storm tracks because usually you need to see the benchmark track get established early on even when its raining

so 1997-98 had the latest measurable snow on record with that 0.5" on 2/4? or did 72-73 have no measurable snow until that 2.8" on 3/28?

wasnt 1957-58 a really good strong el nino year?

maybe more like be split between 12/13 and 06/07

14/15 was very extreme

you should mount it in the shade lol away from any sunlight

the key is also the storm track

Don does that mean the wind reversal has or will happen at 30 mb also?

Multiquote, child.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, wdrag said:

On late12-early 14...  I follow ensembles in general and I think we have an event coming per GEFS/EPS/GEPS. ( I definitely think the FV3 has problems and am not looking forward to the change, but it must come, because I think thats what the modeling world needs, to make a substantial improvement on the GFS~ 2020-21).  In this situation,  I want to see the GGEM OP come on board.  Until that happens...  my confidence on type/size are with doubts but it seems at least a grazer .1 to .5" qpf NYC/NNJ is coming with potent "options" for a bigger storm.  An event has been in the modeling  for many-many days. I wont be able to restudy this in depth til either this evening or early Tuesday.  I think (not sure if its already up) its time we start a thread on snowfall/ice amounts observations from 6PM this evening through 10AM Tuesday for this first minor event centered on the 8th n and w of NYC.  That can keep the conversations separated when the first little batch of precip arrives this evening.  Have a good day. Walt

Has the new GFS been worse than the old one? If so, how can the NOAA make the switch?

58 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

That synoptic evolution was about ten steps back compared to the previous two runs. I wouldn't fall in love with this yet.

S44AccZ.png

I didn’t want to be the one to say it. But yea, if it keeps progressing like that on future runs it’s going to push it further and further south and east. 

Just now, snowman19 said:

I didn’t want to be the one to say it. But yea, if it keeps progressing like that on future runs it’s going to push it further and further south and east. 

The gfs made a big improvement at 12z. I don't see how the 12z gfs looked worse.

2 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

The gfs made a big improvement at 12z. I don't see how the 12z gfs looked worse.

I’m going to keep quiet for the remainder of the tracking of this storm so I don’t get accused of anything and I’m not going to give my opinion of what I think is going to happen. All I’ll say is don’t get emotionally invested in this storm

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

I’m going to keep quiet for the remainder of the tracking of this storm so I don’t get accused of anything and I’m not going to give my opinion of what I think is going to happen. All I’ll say is don’t get emotionally invested in this storm

The TPV can be a problem but you a stout pna ridge and it could help to make the tpv  go north to south and help it phase in or get that out the way to help it come up the coast

1 hour ago, Gravity Wave said:

Wow, the CMC is great too, 990 low just inside BM. Doesn't throw much precip back to us but with that track that shouldn't be a problem.

gem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_26.png

that depiction has mistakes in it the 540 line is off the coast yet the graphic shows rain to the left of it - more then likely the precip coverage field is wrong too - in January a low in that position at that strength with 540 off the coast is all snow on the mainland

25 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

I find it interesting how everyone is always ready to dismiss a storm when it shows up on guidance.

However I too feel this will end up further south or won't end up as amped as shown. On the other hand the MJO will be finally be favorable, so I'm more intrigued than before.