• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
January 2019 Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

We have a favorable +PNA pattern developing towards the New year and into the first few weeks at least of January.  2013-2014 winter was more active than I originally thought, it has nothing to do with the ENSO discussion currently, just an interesting fact, I found fascinating since my recollection of that winter was that we had many nor'easters track about 200 miles southeast of the benchmark, but we did have some big storms too.

1 hour ago, 512high said:

I know subject to change, however, do we go into a "relaxed" period end of January?

I posted in the wrong thread.

Earthlights interpretation of the Weeklies over at 33andrain https://www.33andrain.com/topic/1520-eastern-us-dec-2018-consolidated-discussion-obs/?do=findComment&comment=113318

earthlight said:

ECMWF WEEKLIES 12/27 REVIEW (NORTHEAST US) .....very impressed at first look

WEEK 1 | Hints of SE Ridging, Cold Air into Central US, -NAO

Temps: Above Normal

Precip: Above Normal

Change: Slightly Warmer

WEEK 2 | Major W NHEM Ridging, Troughing into East

Temps: Below Normal 

Precip: Normal

Change: Slightly Colder

WEEK 3 | -EPO and -AO Develops,  More Troughing in East

Precip: Normal

Change: Much Colder

WEEK 4 | Poleward -EPO Continues, -NAO Develops

Precip: Above Normal

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dryslot said:

I will need 50" from here on out to reach it here, Not impossible with a solid 2+ mos by any mean, But losing Dec usually will make it a little tougher.

well .I do commercial snow removal during the winter, and I still have pictures on my iPhone Jan-Feb- 2015.....I was begging for it to stop! (lol), and if I remember Dec-14 started slow......(I think), 

17 minutes ago, 512high said:

well .I do commercial snow removal during the winter, and I still have pictures on my iPhone Jan-Feb- 2015.....I was begging for it to stop! (lol), and if I remember Dec-14 started slow......(I think), 

'14-'15 is definitely the best comp for those trying to flip the switch from a brutal December snowfall-wise. It's obviously unrealistic to expect that same outcome but we would still achieve a very good season if we got 60-70% of what happened that year after mid-January. Even getting half of the snowfall would put most areas above average for the season. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Deff. Easier to normalize down here with one or two big events but up north...notsomuch.

Yeah I've learned that in past seasons... in NNE it's definitely harder to catch up to climo than in SNE.  Luckily up this way we had a huge November and have at least had some snow in December.  

The NNE zone southeast of the mountains though is another story but I'm not as well versed in that climo from like LEW to CON area.