Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2019 Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

1 minute ago, weathafella said:

Boston has mostly snow with that winter.  Ultimately ended up with 96 inches.

We had our big snows in February with the back to back doubleheader lol, thats the first time I ever saw lightning and heard thunder along with snow and it went from nothing to a wall of white by 10 am and it fell so hard you could literally see it piling up.

That was an amazing winter and we ran out of road salt, but 1995-96 ended being the big one, even though we didn't have the below zero temps that winter.

9 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

We were mainly snow up this way from that,but I recall you guys down to Philly had ice encased on everything for a month or more.

Yea you couldn't move it, it was like walking and living on top of an iceberg lol.  There was 2 inches of snow at the very bottom, about 3 inches of sleet on top of that, and 1.5-2 inches of ice at the very top- like a three layer cake!  That was the total of three storms and because it was so cold (two separate subzero arctic outbreaks) it never melted in between storms!  The ice was really pretty on the trees and the railings, first and last time I've ever seen ice that thick.

Just now, SnoSki14 said:

You can see the unfavorable MJO influences on the ensembles in the LR. Trough west/center with some east coast ridging as MJO traverses phase 5/6 for a few days. 

No negative effects from the MJO for the 20th storm though as it stays in the COD. 

So we're going to get a break after next weekend's storm for about a week or two before the next wintry event?

• ORH_wxman locked and unpinned this topic