Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
January 2019 Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

Just now, codfishsnowman said:

tomorrow's mid atlantic bonanza doesn't look so great right now, is that due to redevelop? precip looks fractured/showery

Every model both redevelops the upper level to mid-level lows as they reach 75.5W longitude and then as it moves towards the benchmark, in fact, most models reinvigorate the centers over the benchmark from the surface to 500mb, it is where this happens that determines how much snow I get on Cape Cod.  AS the mid to upper-level lows recharge, the precipitation shield recharges as well with lightning being produced once the surface low on the coast hits the gulf stream off the NC coastline.  It is this that determines the final push northward of the deformation banding.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

Every model both redevelops the upper level to mid-level lows as they reach 75.5W longitude and then as it moves towards the benchmark, in fact, most models reinvigorate the centers over the benchmark from the surface to 500mb, it is where this happens that determines how much snow I get on Cape Cod.  AS the mid to upper-level lows recharge, the precipitation shield recharges as well with lightning being produced once the surface low on the coast hits the gulf stream off the NC coastline.  It is this that determines the final push northward of the deformation banding.

Not one model I have seen is even close to the benchmark.

7 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Can only see it to 144:

GZ_D5_PN_144_0000.gif

That looks like it would be a compromise between the EURO/GEM and the GFS. The former holds the energy back longer and allows the cold to penetrate southward, and the latter does not.

We need that energy to eject slowly enough to allow the cold high to become established, but no so slowly that it gets blocked by confluence.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

lol at the 06z fv3 clown.

fv3p_asnow_neus_36.png

Yeah winter definitely showed up on that run. Huge nor'easter at the end too (usual caveats apply). Could get unlucky, but I like the active look and deeply negative 2 meter temps running from Montana to DC to Maine. That would be something...

• ORH_wxman locked and unpinned this topic