Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2019 Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

5 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Ha, great timing....I just posted above how you like sleet and you're def a powderhound. But some sleet has its place. Like I said, I would't want it all the time.

Ha yeah for sure.  I mean especially when building the pack from the beginning.  It means that final few inches will take forever to melt and withstand a cutter.  I think I still have sleet on the ground as the base layer from some event in November.  It's not ideal all the time but if the option is sleet or freezing rain or rain, I'll take sleet all day long.  Especially a good cold sleet when you have pixy dust snow growth in the low levels adding to it.  Like 16F +IP stuff, lol.

Interesting... just like that ... compressibility is present over Florida ...

Figures the south stream stays in tact for it alright ... right out in to the open Atlantic east of the Carolina's ...  This rendition of screwing us over decides to liimit the western ridge such that N stream won't collapse in and phase.  

1 hour ago, MJOatleast7 said:

Anyone catch that 936 (ouch!) low in the C Pac yesterday (that went into the Aleutians). Something that powerful's gotta have an impact downstream, any guesses what? (Reminds me of the 926 or thereabouts - lowest pressure ever in the Bering Sea - in 2014 and you know what happened after).

I did mention a couple of days ago that it had a pressure drop of 62mb within 24 hours.  I believe the biggest such drop in 24 hours was 97mb during Hurricane Wilma in 2005, from 979mb to 882mb.  Still, for a non-tropical system that is quite impressive.  I would take a benchmark system with half that drop with all that cold air to the north.

3 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Isotherm is right, and a few of us have been saying that. The Pacific, mostly due to the MJO, has acted a bit more nina  like.  We have had forcing near 135E, 850 MB easterlies, all which really go against Nino.  Maybe I’m wrong, but I feel and have heard that it should change later this month into February. 

2 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I think he is acknowledging that the threats haven't panned out and is explaining why. I don't think he is hedging RE the future.

Yes - agreed - and, right, Ray [not altering the overall outlook, just explicating why we've been "fighting" to get snow in the Northeast corridor a bit more than anticipated so far].

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Surprised there isn't more talk of the cold. 

-5F here at 6pm.  If wind dies it'll go low with fresh cold pack.

It was brutal at the mountain today with -40s wind chills at MMNV1.  

The cold isn't exactly thrilling when we've been looking at brown bare ground 99.9% of the past 6 weeks down here.  When the cold is reinforcing a fresh pack it's certainly more appealing.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Pretty cold out there with a deep winter feel. 7F off of a high of 17F with a steady breeze, 6" pack, and trees caked in snow. Gene is already down to 1F on the hill. Some of the birds were shivering this evening before going in to roost for the night.

27 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Just checked, NWS has 6 degrees for here tonight....Kinda stopped paying attention once snow was a no go

22 minutes ago, CTValleySnowMan said:

The cold isn't exactly thrilling when we've been looking at brown bare ground 99.9% of the past 6 weeks down here.  When the cold is reinforcing a fresh pack it's certainly more appealing.  

It doesn't have to be thrilling, it's still cold lol.  I wasn't saying it was appealing or anything, just that it's gonna be f'ing cold tonight.  

But I get it, no discussion of anything will seem interesting until it snows.

7 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It doesn't have to be thrilling, it's still cold lol.  I wasn't saying it was appealing or anything, just that it's gonna be f'ing cold tonight.  

It’s def cold,  but nothing really unusual for my area...not even below zero.  With the wind it definitely feels cold, especially since it has been so warm for much of the last month...

8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It is impressive, no pack or good radiating here so probably 8 or 9 above which is not earth shattering for January Definitely getting a bit frustrating down here but better times appear on the horizon.  Might have to make my second trip of the season up to SVT to  find the kids and myself some snow over the weekend.  

• ORH_wxman locked and unpinned this topic