Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
January 2019 Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

39 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

The PNA is a large concern, Steve. No absolutes, but you want a PNA ridge....this is why we are getting the crap solutions, right now. Pop that ridge, and I think it would dive further south, phase better, and end up colder.

Not if the ridge is center over the west coast though.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I remember...this is the parallel that I am drawing in my mind. This next 20 days is crucial...if we make it to February without a major event, then I will be very concerned about my snowfall ideas. Not there yet. I think very good come back will still be on the table, but my numbers won't work out if we wait that long.

I think 1/20 storm will be the last setback before things get good. 

But yeah it'll be really hard for those amounts to verify unless we have another killer March, which I doubt. 

11 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

Theres no lag between 8 and snowstorms though. The lag is between 6 and snowstorms. 

Mm... perhaps, but what I said is physically demonstrative...  

That could easily be a matter of sample sizes and noise causing that - we know by physical processes that it "takes time" to move momentum from one point in space to another. So ...in so far as what worth the conjecture has, it seems exceedingly unlikely - to me - that merely having a wave in Phase 8 --> snow in Boston  

Just now, Hazey said:

Thanks. Didn't know about that link. You should get another blizzard out of this with that track.

Looks okay. Still could go either way at 100 hours. I have to investigate further but i know will and others here have referenced it before. It does have different solutions after 48 hr than the gdps so its not just a splice. Ill reach out to a friend at eccc and see why its not available in grib and on the more public sites. 

7 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Mm... perhaps, but what I said is physically demonstrative...  

That could easily be a matter of sample sizes and noise causing that - we know by physical processes that it "takes time" to move momentum from one point in space to another. So ...in so far as what worth the conjecture has, it seems exceedingly unlikely - to me - that merely having a wave in Phase 8 --> snow in Boston  

The research shows there a direct correlation between 7 and 8 and elevated sig snow risk. You would see it in 6 or 5 if it were a week or two lagged. Theres only an average of 4 to 8 days in each phase.  

I’m tired of talking about it too, but the problem with RMMs is how they show things like noise, CCKWs etc. There is a CCKW flying across the globe and playing havoc with the RMM plots. It’s why we caution using those despite their convenience in access. This is what is showing this brief phase 5. Indeed as I said earlier it may ignite some response from the maritime continent, but imo it’s not a strong signal and we should see any -EPO ridge move east in a couple of weeks. But defintely beware the RMM plots. 

1 hour ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I think I'll hang in there if this one cuts, which is a distinct possibility, but if the next one fails, I'm going to teeter.....the frustration is beginning to propagate down from mind, and in about 14 days it will downwell onto my keyboard.

I still suspect 1/20 may find a way to work out, though....but no argument as to why it may not. All valid concerns.

In the next two weeks, I think we will know where this season is going and by then, The proper posts will be warranted................:lol:

So that's an impressive wave coming thru the west D7.5 next week ... 

I'll maintain that if the general gradient saturation circumstance between SE Canada and Florida doesn't relax... that is an inherent negative interference pattern. 

Some part of that powerful mechanical presence in the flow can operate on the flow but unless the former relaxation take place, that thing will pay a huge absorption toll as it arrives. 

That solution def reminds me of some of those storms in Jan '94.

It's not surprising either because the PV is basically in the same spot as Jan '94...so you'll have some setups that will want to bring obscenely cold arctic air that may or may not get overrun by warmer air aloft from the south. We're gonna want the PV pressing pretty far south given that we do not yet have any NAO blocking....notice how some of the crappier solutions like the 00z Euro and the 06z GFS have the PV either further north or further west.

• ORH_wxman locked and unpinned this topic