Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2019 Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

5 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Probably not a popular stance in this forum.

I'm sure it's not but in Boston 2015 was great until things like fire trucks not being able to get down streets or school roofs leaking or cracking happened. 

And no I don't think that will happen again to that level in my lifetime, but big comebacks are ( hopefully) still possible.

11 minutes ago, 8611Blizz said:

I'm sure it's not but in Boston 2015 was great until things like fire trucks not being able to get down streets or school roofs leaking or cracking happened. 

And no I don't think that will happen again to that level in my lifetime, but big comebacks are ( hopefully) still possible.

Oh I remember it well. I had to walk to work downtown from Cambridge several times because the T kept breaking down. Narrow streets, sidewalks touch and go. I had to replace the thermal coupling on my furnace because it was working so hard. My profile pic in Hampshire street after the third storm hit. There was a pile of snow at MIT as tall as a six story building. And no, I wouldn't expect to see that again if I live to be 300.

20 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

We just keep missing, now in even half decent setups. 

At what point is this just not going to be a great year?

If we get skunked in Jan too especially in the second half, then it’s a tough pill to swallow. Feb can be big though. Sucks for the wire to wire cheerleaders but weather comes in bunches nowadays.

9 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

If we get skunked in Jan too especially in the second half, then it’s a tough pill to swallow. Feb can be big though. Sucks for the wire to wire cheerleaders but weather comes in bunches nowadays.

Yea, if we enter February with next to nothing, then I'll be worried that the season may just suck....unless there is something pretty dramatic imminent.

8 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Also, if you're gonna post the 384 cutter, might as well put up the bomb that just misses east at 340. Looks plenty active before too long. Keep it active with the pattern we're seeing in the weeklies and we should do just fine.

I know, just fun to look at since everything is so boring. That thing went from 999 mb to 968 mb in 12 hrs...

9 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Same stupid cycle from the same people after every threat that was always a long shot in the first place whiffs.

Not sure how you grade a period that has yet to begin.

To be fair, peeps are grading winter which has begun. Unfortunately, it ‘began’ in mid Novie for some, which has lead to fraud expectations. The period of greatest expected winter like conditions, as you and others have outlined, has yet to begin though, agree....so that is TBD.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

To be fair, peeps are grading winter which has begun. Unfortunately, it ‘began’ in mid Novie for some, which has lead to fraud expectations. The period of greatest expected winter like conditions, as you and others have outlined, has yet to begin though, agree....so that is TBD.  

Yes. Very fair....its been awful, and no one, including me, expected this little snow right now.

• Like 1

Here are seasons that would get ORH to normal or better if they didn't get another flake until 1/20 ( I included a couple close calls below the dotted line). So that's 11 more days...obviously something could still pop before that, but we'll play devil's advocate. ORH currently has 9.7" on the season so they basically need 59 inches to get to long term normal. (they need more like 55" to get to 1981-2010 normal)

These are only at the current airport site...so since 1948.

Year......Snow from 1/20 onward

---------------

• Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Jan 24th was the first event for many (interior had one in November 2014 though)

Even earlier for parts of Maine, as midcoast/Downeast got 10-15" (20" inland DE) on Nov 2.  (My area had WSW for 4-8", got 0.5 for the first of 4 mega-busts that season.)  Then the 1500-2500' level in the Maine mts got 1-2 feet of tree-busting paste Dec. 7-9.  (2nd mega-B here, forecast 10-16, got 1.3 plus 2" cold RA.)

16 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Also, if you're gonna post the 384 cutter, might as well put up the bomb that just misses east at 340. Looks plenty active before too long. Keep it active with the pattern we're seeing in the weeklies and we should do just fine.

Really all you want to see from a truncated op model run, Just look for the activity, Track is irrelevant.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Here are seasons that would get ORH to normal or better if they didn't get another flake until 1/20 ( I included a couple close calls below the dotted line). So that's 11 more days...obviously something could still pop before that, but we'll play devil's advocate. ORH currently has 9.7" on the season so they basically need 59 inches to get to long term normal. (they need more like 55" to get to 1981-2010 normal)

These are only at the current airport site...so since 1948.

Year......Snow from 1/20 onward

---------------

Missed last year for some reason....added it in.

• Thanks 1

• ORH_wxman locked and unpinned this topic