Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2019 Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Absolutely disgusting how that storm whiffs. 

It has big dog potential too if we had the room for downstream ridging. We're getting some payback this winter so far on the chaos element not breaking our way.

Good news is we'll likely have a lot more chances with the coming pattern.

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It has big dog potential too if we had the room for downstream ridging. We're getting some payback this winter so far on the chaos element not breaking our way.

I literally want to vomit when I loop 500. Unreal. 

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

True dat on payback.

Boy ... a lot of focus on the wrong facets of reality going on with y'all... 

Instead .. try opening discussion about the super-synoptic/synoptic -scaled issues/limitation with the pattern handling by these tools, rather than clever ways of handling the psycho-babble disappointment.  Let me explain something for the enthusiasts and/or any Meteorologists that get vested for that matter... It actually helps to seek and successfully explain why these events fail(succeed), analytically. Once you see the light ... know, and learn... why this happened this time but not that time... what went right, wrong, and leave the truly unknown to the rare fantastic, 98.6% of this stuff doesn't affect you any more, because you've disarmed that baggage with reason. ... except where it should: purely intellectually.  As far as we're not getting snow?  Too bad. Grow up... Wait our turn.  Tough shit.  seriously ..think of a trope and add it here.   

Anyway, the fantasy bombs of ... three days ago, by the GFS and GGEM were both doing something then, that they are not doing now.  Within a run or two of those tasty looks ... subtle reduction in the areal extent and amplitude of the western ridge ...particularly it's flexing over the ~ 65 lat up nearing the NW Territories appears to be the culprit. Having the flow construct more sharply curved, and also higher in vertical depth, previously sent crucial S/W mechanics on a SSE diving trajectory shortly thereafter.  In recent runs... that subtle ablation of that ridge extent is sending the S/W translation more ESE... effectively bi-passing and no phase. 

Even now, the southern stream S/W sits in the cafe thinking she's gonna show.  But she's not.  I like that...  Poor Maud Miller: For all the saddest words of tongue or pen, there are none sadder than these, what might have been. 

Anyway, what went wrong: this appears to be a failure to properly assess the super-synoptic scales of the N-Pac arc and how it would transitively relay to synoptic wave spacing/amplitude forcing over western Canada.  And it is a transitive thing... A wave "scrunched" or opened up somewhere west of the Aleutians is a small innocuous correction across some sensitive thresholds that can mean 15 deca-meters lopped off down wind over N Manatoba... ultimately a different destiny thereafter. 

What needs to go right: the opposite of that. 

• Like 2

The clap of thunder last night around midnight was epic. Staccato attack followed by huge, floor rumbling, rolling surge that lasted for like 15 seconds. The lightening is what woke me. My daughter came running into our room hysterical. I'm sure the new dog was not loving being in the crate alone. Interesting radar loop at that time also.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

No...even higher than that isn't. But it's not looking good.

Have to be honest...a lot of talk of a lot of blocking coming up in the supposed pattern change.   I know and understand that blocking is a good thing, but with the way we've been striking out all over lately, I can see how too much of a good thing can hurt us coming up yet again???   The two big chances, last month and Sunday/Monday are going south due to confluence/ high pressure/ that is a sort of blocking on a small scale...no??   

The angst is real here this morning...we can't seem to catch a break up to this point.  Hopefully that can change going forward.  

2 minutes ago, cut said:

The clap of thunder last night around midnight was epic. Staccato attack followed by huge, floor rumbling, rolling surge that lasted for like 15 seconds. The lightening is what woke me. My daughter came running into our room hysterical. I'm sure the new dog was not loving being in the crate alone. Interesting radar loop at that time also.

Down south here, in NJ, had one similar, loud clap of thunder that woke me up. 30 seconds later, there was a dog, and and 2 cats on my bed. sounded nothing like a summertime thunderstorm

1 minute ago, WinterWolf said:

Have to be honest...a lot of talk of a lot of blocking coming up in the supposed pattern change.   I know and understand that blocking is a good thing, but with the way we've been striking out all over lately, I can see how too much of a good thing can hurt us coming up yet again???   The two big chances, last month and Sunday/Monday are going south due to confluence/ high pressure/ that is a sort of blocking on a small scale...no??   

The angst is real here this morning...we can't seem to catch a break up to this point.  Hopefully that can change going forward.  

Trust me when I say you would prefer blocking over no blocking. If you want to go back to an unmanned firehose cutter regime, then you'll root for no blocking.

Sure...there are times when we get "Saved" by no blocking, but that is the exception rather than the rule. And ironically, this latest threat doesn't really have a big block, it's an ill-timed spoke going around a pseudo 50/50 low...it's not like a mega blocking is forcing everything down. Just some bad timing and that's going to happen. It even happens twice in a row sometimes (going back to the December threat).

What Tip said has some truth as well...why are we not getting this to come up the coast? We're getting a bit of a flatter angle on the top of the ridge....the lower half of the ridge looks good, but the top kind of shears off....how do we fix that problem? We get more amplified ridging out west. What kind of pattern is developing in the next 10 days? More amplified riding out west....that kind of stuff can cure some problems. The more meridional the flow is, the easier it is to phase in northern stream and arctic stream shortwaves into the mean trough.

25 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Trust me when I say you would prefer blocking over no blocking. If you want to go back to an unmanned firehose cutter regime, then you'll root for no blocking.

Sure...there are times when we get "Saved" by no blocking, but that is the exception rather than the rule. And ironically, this latest threat doesn't really have a big block, it's an ill-timed spoke going around a pseudo 50/50 low...it's not like a mega blocking is forcing everything down. Just some bad timing and that's going to happen. It even happens twice in a row sometimes (going back to the December threat).

What Tip said has some truth as well...why are we not getting this to come up the coast? We're getting a bit of a flatter angle on the top of the ridge....the lower half of the ridge looks good, but the top kind of shears off....how do we fix that problem? We get more amplified ridging out west. What kind of pattern is developing in the next 10 days? More amplified riding out west....that kind of stuff can cure some problems. The more meridional the flow is, the easier it is to phase in northern stream and arctic stream shortwaves into the mean trough.

Yea, the shape of that ridge is why I downplayed that threat in my last blog. Even when the euro tried to shift it west, it would flatten.

You could argue that at some point something almost has to break right for us. We've scored in garbage patterns before. All these misses and badly timed Scooter Streaks is sort of like flipping coins and having it endlessly come up heads when you want tails. Can it come up heads fifty tosses in a row? A hundred? Sure, but it's pretty unlikely.

Just now, Hoth said:

You could argue that at some point something almost has to break right for us. We've scored in garbage patterns before. All these misses and badly timed Scooter Streaks is sort of like flipping coins and having it endlessly come up heads when you want tails. Can it come up heads fifty tosses in a row? A hundred? Sure, but it's pretty unlikely.

Well on the flip side, we've been talking about how lucky we've been the past 10-15 (or even longer) years with getting a lot of these bigger ticker threats to break right for us.

Ill-timed scooter streaks, bad breaks, etc were the hallmark of the 1980s into the early 1990s.

• Like 2

• ORH_wxman locked and unpinned this topic