Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 2019 Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

Just now, dryslot said:

And from my experience from 1998, Go find a generator.

Experienced  that storm at my grandfather's  in southern quebec.. as a 12 year old I was in aww...  I would do anything  to see that again..running the wood stove and playing board games and just having good family time

2 minutes ago, Dpb1983 said:

I’m a lineman for National Grid, get a generator and run it every six months.  Trust me, ice storms are some of the most chaotic restoration events possible.

Thank you for what you do. I would add run it every month, add starton to the fuel, ethanol is a bitch on carburetors 

• Thanks 1

Just now, butterfish55 said:

I'm wiring a generator transfer switch for a customer tomorrow.   Agree that it's useless sitting in your garage if you have no way of connecting it to your electrical system.  

I did run extension cords for the fridge and some lamps during Irenes week as I just got it. It was summer though, he has a well, no heat, frozen pipe disaster in 9 degree weather that follows. 

9 minutes ago, Tiktock said:

I live in Plaistow, NH.  We had a slim band near the NH/MA border that got absolutely destroyed.  Here's a book written on the event: https://www.amazon.com/Weight-Ice-Northeast-Storm-2008/dp/0979506778

Was 2008, not 2006.  My bad.

I still see some damage to trees from the 08 ice storm in Northern Worc County.

7 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Honda.. it’s my aunts . She got a new one that kicks on automatically as soon as power goes out . 

pay someone to install a transfer switch.  Makes it easy/safe to use you generator during an outage and keeps the linemen safe who are trying to put everything back together again

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Greg said:

Definately need the the Friday storm to track favorable so it sets up a semi 50/50 Low to the north so the Sunday system can remain an offf shore storm and deliver the goods.

Friday’s airmass is not exactly cold. I wouldn’t anticipate much more than light rain or light snow Inside 495 and perhaps extend that north

4 minutes ago, butterfish55 said:

pay someone to install a transfer switch.  Makes it easy/safe to use you generator during an outage and keeps the linemen safe who are trying to put everything back together again

I had a new plug which is added to the meter, it automatically switches to line power. I still need to shut the generator off but I just use it for water, fridge and lights as I have propane heat. Its a pain with breakers but works and has gotten too much work the last 8 years.  I can't justify a 5k investment in a Generac Auto permanent generator 

• Like 1

• ORH_wxman locked and unpinned this topic