Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 2019 Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

13 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I’m not sure I can remember a setup quite like this...well at least with the upside potential. The 500 look isn’t really something that screams substantial snows, however, there are some signals for some big snows somewhere. 

There is likely to be an extremely impressive thermal gradient with immense WAA and vigorous lift. 

But how often do we really see scenarios of waves traversing along fronts produce substantial snows here? 

I think this could be quite prolific for the ski areas in NNE and maybe some hefty amounts for the east slopes of the Berks? 

This is quite complex 

Upper air reminds me of Jan 3-4, 1994. The profiles look colder though so far than that storm.

Jan19-2019-1994compare.png

Just now, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Just look at the wind fetch in SNE through most of the storm. Doesn’t turn northerly until the end. It’s a prolonged, twice as long, waa omega thump then what we typical see. All while being -10 to -15C at 925. 

Yeah that signal can’t be ignored...that’s pretty substantial. Really tough to swing one way or another b/c the boundary could easily shift and the low track NW and we just as easy see +10C at 925 lol. 

I would also think there could be a good amount of convection across the SE and off the coast...hopefully that wouldn’t result in moisture thevery 

18 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

The jackpot will be further south than what the models have right now (not sure by how much yet). No bias, just see the PV going to push this further down.

Friday's system will also be a catalyst that will cause the arctic boundary to move south as colder, drier air infiltrates from Canada. 

I suppose if you get some separation with the Friday system and it blows up in the maritimes, that could do some work in helping to get the second system south. We'll see. Lots of nuance here, but the big players hopefully should be fairly stable.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I’m not sure I can remember a setup quite like this...well at least with the upside potential. The 500 look isn’t really something that screams substantial snows, however, there are some signals for some big snows somewhere. 

There is likely to be an extremely impressive thermal gradient with immense WAA and vigorous lift. 

But how often do we really see scenarios of waves traversing along fronts produce substantial snows here? 

I think this could be quite prolific for the ski areas in NNE and maybe some hefty amounts for the east slopes of the Berks? 

This is quite complex 

Still getting used to seeing Wiz with the red tag. Feels like we should call him sir or something. 

Just now, weathafella said:

All coming together.  But wth the d7 lead time I’d like to be cautious for a few more days. Probably will get gfs in the morning.....trying to store some sleep...lol.

GFS already out to 72 and GGEM out in about 10-15 min....we all know you are staying up for them. It's a disease.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, weatherwiz said:

This is quite complex 

There's no reason why this would be more likely to be prolific in NNE than SNE.  You guys have a snowy climate, I keep banging that theme here.  What has happened has been incredibly bad luck, IMO.  But these training precip events along a front can set up anywhere.  The cold air modeled looks ridiculous, so most areas can afford a warming trend and still be very cold.

• Like 1

• ORH_wxman locked and unpinned this topic