Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2019 Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

On a major snow event? I feel relatively confident conisdering the range...at least plowable, anyway.

Yeah agreed.  Seems good enough guidance consensus to at least assume a wide zone of New England sees 3-4"+.  

The problem is seeing so many runs of big numbers that it's hard to getbthat out of your head for 6 days of waiting to nowcast lol.

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

What are the chances the first system becomes the main deal?  The stronger that one is, it seems like the second should be further south.  That first low has a decent push of cold south behind it that should help keep the baroclinic zone further south.

First wave looks too weak to be main deal. Second shortwave is much stronger. There's also enough spacing between them that it's believable...like a good 48-60 hours. 

Its totally believable that the second misses though. But I think it would have more to do with the PV than the first shortwave. 

• Like 1

Just now, 512high said:

Scott agreed. However, what if by say Wednesday they are still showing those large amounts, now does it catch you eye or still way too early.....?

Get me to Thursday/Friday personally. Obviously Wednesday is much closer so you take it more seriously. But I wouldn't be throwing out KU type amounts until inside of 72 hours. 

• Like 2

Just now, 512high said:

Scott agreed. However, what if by say Wednesday they are still showing those large amounts, now does it catch you eye or still way too early.....?

I think I’d give a larger storm

more credit. But a week to go with this setup? Man so much can change. This could go to Montreal of over the Andrea Gale. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

What are the chances the first system becomes the main deal?  The stronger that one is, it seems like the second should be further south.  That first low has a decent push of cold south behind it that should help keep the baroclinic zone further south.

That first one is actually way south with the southern s/w...there's a weak northern stream s/w that rotates down around the PV aligned, but unphased with the southern one. It looks more like some kind of inverted trough deal on the GFS. I think for that to become a big show we'd need to see the models underestimating that northern s/w and it can dig enough to create some sort of partial phase. Seems like a longshot to me though.

3 minutes ago, J Paul Gordon said:

Every situation is unique, but I recall the heads up that came days in advance of the blizzards of 78, 93, etc. I've seen forecasts for mega hits that fizzled out at the last minute. At least it has the potential to be a interesting week

93 was like a massive global 3 stream deal. Even the coarse models back then were able to sniff it out from 5 days out. I don't recall 78 being a great long lead forecast. Sounds like yore to me.

• Like 1

Just now, dendrite said:

93 was like a massive global 3 stream deal. Even the coarse models back then were able to sniff it out from 5 days out. I don't recall 78 being a great long lead forecast. Sounds like yore to me.

'78 was forecast as a scraper as close in as like 24-36 hours out...Harvey was gung-ho though as a young rookie before others caught on....got himself on the map with that one. 

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I was in college in 78,  University of Maryland.  The storm hit Boston on a Monday I believe.  On the Friday before I toured the National Weather Service down in DC.  The Met's were looking at the (LFM?) and really honking at a possible historic storm.  I can also remember sitting in my dorm room listening to the statiky WBZ and wishing so bad I was up in New England instead of Maryland....

33 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

There was a system in Jan 94 that gave about 11 inches here where much of the event was in single digits and then we actually mixed briefly with sleet for a couple hours and temps near 10F. These runs are definitely reminding me of that setup. 

I had freezing rain in SRI with an initial temp of 13

32 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

What a run for the northeast.  1-3 feet of snow from Kansas east to Virginia and then up the northeast corridor followed by widespread 0F air.  I don't know how this would stack up against other big US event snowstorms but this will subdue all the "Global Warming" chatter.  Expect some tweets

only from complete nimrods -

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• ORH_wxman locked and unpinned this topic