Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2019 Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

2 minutes ago, WeatherX said:

2m temps in the low teens coast, single digits inland for the bulk. Wow if this happens.

There was a system in Jan 94 that gave about 11 inches here where much of the event was in single digits and then we actually mixed briefly with sleet for a couple hours and temps near 10F. These runs are definitely reminding me of that setup. 

There was a system in Jan 94 that gave about 11 inches here where much of the event was in single digits and then we actually mixed briefly with sleet for a couple hours and temps near 10F. These runs are definitely reminding me of that setup. 

Where would the warm layer reside though to get sleet in a setup like this? I can see sleet down here certainly as it hugs but it would be strange up there.

Just now, WeatherX said:

Where would the warm layer reside though to get sleet in a setup like this? I can see sleet down here certainly as it hugs but it would be strange up there.

If we close H7 off that much early and as far south as the GFS does most of CNE and SNE will probably remain mostly snow.

What a run for the northeast.  1-3 feet of snow from Kansas east to Virginia and then up the northeast corridor followed by widespread 0F air.  I don't know how this would stack up against other big US event snowstorms but this will subdue all the "Global Warming" chatter.  Expect some tweets

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, WeatherX said:

Prob around 750mb or something. I'm not saying we will get sleet up here. It could end up 50 or 100 miles south of that event. Was just saying the general setup reminded me of it. 

But you could have a situation where it's like -8C at 850 and you have 0C at 750mb. That kind of stuff will be hashed out much closer to the threat though. 

For all we know this could be a flat wave to Bermuda by midweek. 

Just now, wxeyeNH said:

What a run for the northeast.  1-3 feet of snow from Kansas east to Virginia and then up the northeast corridor followed by widespread 0F air.  I don't know how this would stack up against other big US event snowstorms but this will subdue all the "Global Warming" chatter.  Expect some tweets

it shouldn't

• Like 5

• ORH_wxman locked and unpinned this topic