Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2019 Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

7 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Some good things going for it. Great high pressing down...even on some of the more amped solutions we get some decent snow and sleet. Tons of moisture feed into this storm...so we'll have the juice if we can stay cold enough. 

Were lacking downstream blocking though so this can still change but the PV seems to be settling into a more consistent location on the models which helps keep this storm into a smaller window...I'll be pretty confident if we can make it through Tuesday with good results.  

Yea, don't get me wrong...I get the day 7/lack of blocking caveats. Totally valid. But what I am seeing:

1: Relative consistency RE slow enough ejection of energy to allow arctic dome to press.

2: Relative consistency RE PV placement.

3: We are enterjng the second half of winter in SNE during a weak modoki season in which snowfall has been denied with nothing short of surgical precision. That simply will not continue...hedge snow from this point forward...right on schedule. Its akin to Tom Brady in the 4th quarter of a post season game.

• Like 3

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Looks like all of sne to me.

I figured the northern crew would Bitch the SWFE mostly tracks south of them LOL.  The western energy/trof is usually key for southern areas in SNE and NYC to stay frozen in a SWFE.  If there is any ridging or zonal flow from SEA-GTF the system typically overdigs and tracks too far north 

Just now, SnowGoose69 said:

I figured the northern crew would Bitch the SWFE mostly tracks south of them LOL.  The western energy/trof is usually key for southern areas in SNE and NYC to stay frozen in a SWFE.  If there is any ridging or zonal flow from SEA-GTF the system typically overdigs and tracks too far north 

What northern crew bitched? You confuse the sh it out of me

1 minute ago, SnowGoose69 said:

lol, Why?

1 minute ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

I don't think anyone is looking at that.

It’s generally better in a snow starved season to put your eggs into the basket of the system that’s closer to possibly happening.  Remember too that system can help or hurt the ensuing big dog depending upon its strength and what it does when it gets off the Maritimes.  That system being stronger likely helps the weekend one.  If it doesn’t happen or is poo in regards to strength the next system might be more likely to track too far inland 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Theyll be back next run when it shows a primary into Binghamton and powderfreak posts a snowmap with a comment "wow, this would cause all the people in SNE to line up on the Tobin"

Hey now I'd never do that.  I got ripped apart the other night for saying "It's cold out."  I know what not to do with this crowd right now!  :lol: 

That was a beautiful Euro run and would be awesome to get the vast majority of the board into a big winter event.  

This will certainly be one of those events where by the time it gets to NAM range it'll feel like a nowcast event at 72 hours out.  

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Yeah, I was rather nonplussed by the GFS trying to push rain into the area with that thing nearby. Suppression always a concern.

Now that we are headed into more of a classic El Niño pattern with a less disruptive pacific jet the GFS suckage will likely rise over the next month 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I think we'll get this one.

As I've been saying, SNE has a snowy climate...you can't keep rolling snake eyes.  One of these has to deliver eventually in this cold/active weather we've had for months.  

But you can already see someone being disappointed by a 4-8" event after looking at Day 7 runs of 20-30".

• Like 1

Just now, powderfreak said:

As I've been saying, SNE has a snowy climate...you can't keep rolling snake eyes.  One of these has to deliver eventually in this cold/active weather we've had for months.  

But you can already see someone being disappointed by a 4-8" event after looking at Day 7 runs of 20-30".

I think we will get a big event,  but I would be stunned if we didn't get at least a plowable snow. Not that that isn't within the range of possibilities, but I just don't think that will happen for a plethora of reasons already stated.

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Why? They're not getting 30"?

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

If d2-3 has 12+ and most get 4-8 disappointing is legit.

10 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Hey now I'd never do that.  I got ripped apart the other night for saying "It's cold out."  I know what not to do with this crowd right now!  :lol: 

That was a beautiful Euro run and would be awesome to get the vast majority of the board into a big winter event.  

This will certainly be one of those events where by the time it gets to NAM range it'll feel like a nowcast event at 72 hours out.  

It wasn’t cold in SNE

Just now, weathafella said:

If d2-3 has 12+ and most get 4-8 disappointing is legit.

You know I would be happy with 4-8" , it would suck seeing areas getting more, but tired of looking at frozen ground....watch the runs tonight, .....IDK, if they keep looking like this till Wednesday  maybe we are all due for something we haven't seen in a while

Just now, 512high said:

You know I would be happy with 4-8" , it would suck seeing areas getting more, but tired of looking at frozen ground....watch the runs tonight, .....IDK, if they keep looking like this till Wednesday  maybe we are all due for something we haven't seen in a while

Agreed that 4-8” would be sweet.  Would love a foot plus, but I’m not getting worked up over that for a while.

Just please don’t rain...

• Like 1

• ORH_wxman locked and unpinned this topic