• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2019 Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

We mentioned be leery of ice profiling ... as though deliberately to emphasize the point, that para run of the GFS with 24 hours straight of severe icing - that would be probably 2+" of accretion in a band somewhere ... Basically, N. Worcester Co/'08 spread out over a much larger area

6 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Who said that?  Maybe some raobs that went down and can’t be fixed with the lack of current appropriation but most are functioning?

I referred to this blurb from a Washington Post article several days ago:

"The current Global Forecast System - or the GFS - the United States' premier weather model, is running poorly, and there’s no one on duty to fix it.

“There was a dropout in the scores for all of the systems” on Dec. 25,  Suru Saha, a union steward at the Environmental Modeling Center in College Park, Md., said of the scoring system used to rank how the forecast models are performing. “All of the models recovered, except for the GFS, which is still running at the bottom of the pack.” Not only does that mean the day-to-day weather forecast is worse, she said, it is also a national security risk.

Saha thinks it has to do with the data format. The model brings in data from all over the world, from dozens of different countries that are now standardizing the format to adhere to new regulations. The Environmental Modeling Center was working to adjust for the new formats when the shutdown started. Saha said that even though the Weather Service is getting the data, the GFS doesn’t recognize the format, so it can’t use it. And a model forecast is only as good as its input data."

6 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

We mentioned be leery of ice profiling ... as though deliberately to emphasize the point, that para run of the GFS with 24 hours straight of severe icing - that would be probably 2+" of accretion in a band somewhere ... Basically, N. Worcester Co/'08 spread out over a much larger area

In 08 it creeped as far south as Oxford; if the GFS were to verify I could see it being a N CT to NH line tyoe event; hope its wrong.

Just now, Modfan said:

In 08 it creeped as far south as Oxford; if the GFS were to verify I could see it being a N CT to NH line tyoe event; hope its wrong.

Mm... looking a little closer... that's actually a huge broad sleet band... good for 1.5" total of rattling ... but there would still likely be a band that's perhaps 20 miles wide of pellets and accretion mixed. It would be warning ice either way...

12 minutes ago, 78Blizzard said:

"The current Global Forecast System - or the GFS - the United States' premier weather model, is running poorly, and there’s no one on duty to fix it.

“There was a dropout in the scores for all of the systems” on Dec. 25,  Suru Saha, a union steward at the Environmental Modeling Center in College Park, Md., said of the scoring system used to rank how the forecast models are performing. “All of the models recovered, except for the GFS, which is still running at the bottom of the pack.” Not only does that mean the day-to-day weather forecast is worse, she said, it is also a national security risk.

Saha thinks it has to do with the data format. The model brings in data from all over the world, from dozens of different countries that are now standardizing the format to adhere to new regulations. The Environmental Modeling Center was working to adjust for the new formats when the shutdown started. Saha said that even though the Weather Service is getting the data, the GFS doesn’t recognize the format, so it can’t use it. And a model forecast is only as good as its input data."

I started laughing after “the United States’ premier weather model”.   and keep in mind the Union steward isn’t the most unbiased individual.

11 minutes ago, 78Blizzard said:

AMOUT

It's amazing how proficiently the post-modern era of Internet western society is at exposing an underlying lapse in the critical thinking ability of the general population.  It's always been this way that lay-folks tend to believe ... but having the hoi-polloi have access to information does provide for an explosion of colorful renditions of reality ... which then go on to become ethotic, whether true or not.

Gee - wonder why 'fake news' ever found a target.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, weathafella said:

It’s a union officials opinion as to why gfs sucks.

I think the facts of what he said are correct.  No one is there to adjust the GFS for the new data input format, so data that is available and readable by the other global models should be more reliable.  I don't know about the CMC, though, lol.

7 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It's amazing how proficiently the post-modern era of Internet western society is at exposing an underlying lapse in the critical thinking ability of the general population.  It's always been this way that lay-folks tend to believe ... but having the hoi-polloi have access to information does provide for an explosion of colorful renditions of reality ... which then go on to become ethotic, whether true or not.

Gee - wonder why 'fake news' ever found a target.

Excellent post. I was just pondering this. 

We have been through this so many times. The only thing anyone should be focusing on at these lead times is, the signal is there consistently and across guidance 

2 minutes ago, 78Blizzard said:

I think the facts of what he said are correct.  No one is there to adjust the GFS for the new data input format, so data that is available and readable by the other global models should be more reliable.  I don't know about the CMC, though, lol.

Agreed.  But I’m skeptical about blaming the woeful gfs too much on that important aspect.   Hopefully the shut down will end soon and we should theoretically see a spike in performance a few weeks later if that premise is mainly responsible.

4 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Excellent post. I was just pondering this. 

We have been through this so many times. The only thing anyone should be focusing on at these lead times is the signal is there consistently and across guidance 

Yup ... mentioned this earlier myself. I'm actually still in that mode of reflection for now.   Having cross-guidance support for that spatial-temporality is definitely the more immovable aspect. The details and individual model runs?  That's just either eye-candy at one end, or venting-fights at the other... 

Just now, weathafella said:

Agreed.  But I’m skeptical about blaming the woeful gfs too much on that important aspect.   Hopefully the shut down will end soon and we should theoretically see a spike in performance a few weeks later if that premise is mainly responsible.

There was more recent information that the GFS is pretty normal. They had some data issues early on but apparently it is fixed now. Ohleary (works for NOAA) had posted something about it. You can actually see the scores on it rebounding recently back to where it typically is. I'm going to treat it as normal which means it's inferior to the euro and prob the ukie. 

• ORH_wxman locked and unpinned this topic