Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 2019 Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

14 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Doing well . I’ve seen on FB you’ve been busy . Congrats! You talk to LL at all? 

Seems like winter has arrived 

Thanks bud. Haven't been in touch with LL. I still laugh at the scene on the ride home from that GTG we went to in Northhampton. Epic fun.

2 minutes ago, WeatherX said:

Thanks bud. Haven't been in touch with LL. I still laugh at the scene on the ride home from that GTG we went to in Northhampton. Epic fun.

I think the Northampton GTG was the last one I attended; perhaps I made it to one in ORH after that.

Edit:  I went to one in Quincy Market two years ago.

1 minute ago, moneypitmike said:

I think the Northampton GTG was the last one I attended; perhaps I made it to one in ORH after that.

Edit:  I went to one in Quincy Market two years ago.

I was gonna say, you were at a Boston one...

At least we have something other than just rain to track for a bit

1 minute ago, moneypitmike said:

That was my one and only. Great fun and awesome to put the online personas with faces. Tough to get everyone in the room together with the travel component, but well worth the trip.

Just now, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

Yeah two out of 30 winters in my favor, come on bro, your winter odds are much higher than mine

say what? That’s about the correct odds of getting 30” for you. You may have to wait another 10-15 years for another. Or you may get another soon then go 20 years before it happens again. Your expectations are way above the mean.

Just now, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

say what? That’s about the correct odds of getting 30” for you. You may have to wait another 10-15 years for another. Or you may get another soon then go 20 years before it happens again. Your expectations are way above the mean.

Expectations no, just faith, since those winters happened within 10 years of one another, I think the odds increased since 2000.

9 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Oh so Jan 05 and Jan 15 weren’t good enough for you?

If only for once a storm would track over the Benchmark.  Been very hard to get that benchmark track over the past 20 years.  

I think most of James' blizzards are better than the Mar 1993 storm.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

Could you imagine us getting 6 inches of sleet. Iceberg with the looming cold air.

Were you around for the March 2007 slizzard? Absolutely epic storm down here on the coast. Had at least 6" of sleet and it was amazing watching it roll off the roof into giant piles every 45 minutes or so. 

1 minute ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

Expectations no, just faith, since those winters happened within 10 years of one another, I think the odds increased since 2000.

So now you expect 30” every....2/3 years? Dude, you’ve been above the mean in terms of big events as most have in E SNE. When was the last big one before 05 for the cape, 78?

25 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

I want a superstorm 93 redux, except about 100 miles further east, like on the benchmark for once.

Purely for the conjecture of it ... nah... Keep it -

Admittedly, the problem is an IMBY one for me... Metro-west of Boston out throughout the 495 region of eastern SNE didn't really get that big of a deal out of that "history" maker.  It was ...15" total in Acton - if we use snow as a kind of standard metric for the, "dude ...inCREdible" scaling, that's not overly impressive.  I suspect much of adjacent eastern Massachusetts, CT/RI ... also had < 18".  If we wanna consider other aspects... no one around my township or adjacent ones lost power. The wind was advertised to topple lose chimneys and airborne stray cats and I don't recall even seeing small branch litter anywhere. I'm not sure what produced the biggest bluster: the storm, or the media frenzy in the 7 days leading up to it.  Instead, it was proven more histrionic. 

Don't get me wrong... I say this with some tongue-in-cheek... who would ever pass on 15" ... But, I'd like a storm advertised like that to actually be historic here ;)  The most interesting aspect about that storm for me was the 13" nearing the Gulf geographies, as well as the derecho like wind blast/squall that slammed through Florida.

Watching the EURO come in and trying to figure out what we want the first wave on Friday to do. It seems that those who get snow from the first, miss out on the second one. Those that rain Mid Atlantic, see an extended period of snow and heavy...Or it is just a Mid Atlantic winter and it doesn't really matter for us up here....

Just now, Spanks45 said:

Watching the EURO come in and trying to figure out what we want the first wave on Friday to do. It seems that those who get snow from the first, miss out on the second one. Those that rain Mid Atlantic, see an extended period of snow and heavy...Or it is just a Mid Atlantic winter and it doesn't really matter for us up here....

Euro would set off massive meltdowns OTS while the MA gets feet, have to shoot for wagons north

• Haha 1

• ORH_wxman locked and unpinned this topic